Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what occupation you guys have, since I am relatively young and trying to determine a rewarding career path for myself. I know many of the members on this form have enjoyed varying degrees of success, so I think it would be beneficial to share everyone's experiences as it relates to career development, education history, wealth accumulation, entrepreneurial initiatives, etc..

I'll start:

Right now, I am a Manager in the Finance Dept of one of the largest Telecommunications companies in the US. I started here ~4yrs ago as an analyst and have worked my way up the ranks fairly quickly.

I got my Finance Degree at the University of Florida and am strongly considering getting an MBA at one of the top B-schools in the country (this is my current dilemma of leaving work to go back to school again).

Anyone else?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happily retired. You're not a head hunter.............are you? :)
Lol no i'm not a head hunter. I just genuinely want to know what people do for a living? And any advice that they can order.

What did you used to do prior to retirement, Norm?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Retired from financial planning. Not recommended for most, this is a very tough business to break into and stress oh my! I dropped out of college to take care of my mother, father past away at 39. Have held jobs from restaurant manager, waiter, cable installer, owner of small business L.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am a IT Manager in the for one of the other largest Telecommunications companies in the US

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
As of three days ago I am now in my 38th year of selling Corvettes. Got a Business degree from Univ of Maryland-College Park, MD. I guess I am somewhat successful...either that or I am doing the wrong thing day after day for the last 13,873 days.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
VP Purchasing, Logistics and Regulatory for a medium sized chemical company.
Have a degree in Material and Logistics Management from Michigan State University. I have been in purchasing or manufacturing operations the last 30 plus years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Semi-retired, sold advertising for over 40 years. Still work part time for local TV stations.

Have a coffee roasting business, that began as a hobby 10 or so years ago, and has gotten way out of hand!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am a Denturist. What is that, you may ask? In Canada, and several states in the US, a Denturist is an individual who fits, designs, repairs, and ultimately delivers dentures for a patient. I work directly with the public, not under supervision or on Rx of a Dentist. I make complete dentures (all teeth missing), partial dentures (some teeth missing), and implant supported dentures.

I often joke it is not glamourous work, ie no Hollywood movies or TV shows, but it can provide a decent 6 figure income.

I am not sure if Denturists are recognized in Florida, but if so, it would be a gold mine!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Design, install and generally maintain Security CCTV systems, card reader systems and at 1 location fire alarms systems for a couple of locations for a company involved in the television and movie entertainment industry. I'll just say it one of the big 3 on your TV.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what occupation you guys have, since I am relatively young and trying to determine a rewarding career path for myself. I know many of the members on this form have enjoyed varying degrees of success, so I think it would be beneficial to share everyone's experiences as it relates to career development, education history, wealth accumulation, entrepreneurial initiatives, etc..

I'll start:

Right now, I am a Manager in the Finance Dept of one of the largest Telecommunications companies in the US. I started here ~4yrs ago as an analyst and have worked my way up the ranks fairly quickly.

I got my Finance Degree at the University of Florida and am strongly considering getting an MBA at one of the top B-schools in the country (this is my current dilemma of leaving work to go back to school again).

Anyone else?
Retired as a mine superintendent at 52. Five years in, still enjoying it, even more now that I have a Z06!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Got my Business degree at the age of 47. I knocked off a 4 year degree in 2 1/2 years! I worked my @$$ off. Before that I was a cement worker, fork lift driver, assistant manager in pizza joint, machinist, industrial radiographer, counselor in drug rehab facility, truck driver and a hotel desk clerk. Those are the ones I can remember - LOL.

For the past 15 years (after my business degree) I've worked for two different government contractors doing budgets and schedules. My soap box I like to get on is telling young folks to go or stay in school!!! I can't stress this enough, Go to school or get a trade! It was a game changer for me and my family.

Gusto!

1 - 20 of 201 Posts