Stingray Corvette Forum banner

121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
I was fairly astonished too. Just figured he was taking care of the more important things in life at the time. Due to other priorities, I went through a several year period where I was pretty oblivious to the "entertainment industry". In fact it was a while before I caught up to these songs.
Yelp, I was a busy guy back then. I had to juggle so many things in life: baseball, Tonka trucks, and schoolwork, because I was in a competition with my long-term elementary school girlfriend for who would get the best grades. Ah, what a life it was, holding her hand in the library, and especially those extra magical moments when the lights would go down to watch a video while sitting on the floor, with my head in her lap, using her as a super-comfy pillow.

By the way, this picture was not easy to find, but, thankfully, Facebook is a wealth of picture history. If I can read the imprint correctly, this is from 1984.

OM.jpg

*Picture credit to Olan Mills, courtesy of HCW.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Well, that astonishing comment caused me to spit coffee all over my laptop screen - thanks. ;)

I'm astonished, since VH remains my favorite rock band, especially their older music, with Roth on vocals.
I am sorry about the coffee on the laptop.

I hadn't heard Jamie's Crying either.

I do know (and really like) some of Van Halen's other music. However, I was mostly introduced to it later in life. Therefore, the majority of my exposure has been limited to what the masses (not just Van Halen fans) considered their benchmark works viewed from a historical perspective.

The one exception is Jump, which is a 5-star song in my iTunes collection, stored in a playlist entitled "Baseball" in a folder named "Memories".

What is the connection?

Our local cable T.V. provider had WGN in its lineup. Every day after school, I would go home, play some 'ball, then go watch the Cubbies while eating some spaghetti with red Ragu topped with grated Parmesan cheese. That 1984 team was magical. Many people can't comprehend someone being a fan of both the Cubs and Reds, but I am living proof that it is possible.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Yelp, I was a busy guy back then. I had to juggle so many things in life
Guess I got that right! Gotta have your priorities! Assume the video you watched with the pretty girl was not MTV's Van Halen "Panama" from their 1984 album. Wouldn't seem like the right music for that moment anyway.

Great post Rodney.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I listen to CNBC on satellite radio, to gauge whether my finances can accommodate a mid engine Corvette in the future. :wink:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I have CNBC on may favorites list too. ;)

·
18,663 Posts
Channels 18 (Beetles), 32 (The Bridge) and 26 (Classic Vinyl) on XMSR. Every vehicle has XM (for long trips we add in weather so safety).

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I have CNBC on may favorites list too. ;)
Yea me too. Mostly on trips where I just feel the need to be kept up to date on news and finances. Also, Bloomberg. The reason they're good its actually a radio channel so they give market updates every fifteen minutes on the nose.

The stations that are "TV" like CNBC don't give "oral" updates of market indices on a regular basis cause their viewers can see the ticker on TV.

·
Registered
289 Posts
With all the hype last week of Spotify going public I finally made the switch form iTunes and I love it. Son (18yrs old) has been trying to get me to do it for years. Yesterday, took the first top down ride using play list in the spotify app and I love it.

·
Super Moderator
3,307 Posts
I tried the free Spotify app and did not like the ads.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I have Sirius XM and mainly listen to classic rock and oldies from the 50's and 60's, including the Beatles channel. I have a thumb drive with over 1000 songs ... everything from Ed Ames to ZZ Top (get it? A to Z :playful:) with my all time favorite being Eric Clapton.

·
Administrator
15,142 Posts
Currently listen to 70s on 7 (Sirius), sometimes the 60's or Beatles channel, or the songs on MP3 usb drive which range from classic Jazz to Pop. Of course, all of that is second in line to NPP symphony :eek:nthego:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Have 1000 songs playing in shuffle mode as soon as I start the car. Drowns out tire and road noise. Wide range of music but had about 10% of the songs with a boomy bass! Was an issue as some of the newer songs, like Joss Stone (a Joplin sound) singing Teardrops was soo boomy I had to lower the volume (defeating my main drown out tire/road noise objective) or skip.

However just discovered a solution! I have three preset buttons set with three Bass levels! Now made a Thumb drive with all heavy Bass (heavy for this 5 year old!)

Set Bass Level.jpg
This is a How To..

http://netwelding.com/Boomy_Bass.pdf

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Still waking up? Let Mobius lend a hand...

Here's another from my C7 favorites list.

Band: The Offspring
Song: Come out and Play

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I like it but I think we might need to class you up a bit. All that head banging stuff is gonna hurt your brain. I mean look at those guys on the cover, nothing but skeletons on fire. This will help limit your tendency to WOT when you're driving your C7:

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
What you need is a song from an album entitled Classics. However, do not despair, Mobius. It, too, can make you want to bang your head after it elicits some of the most deep, sweet, and powerful anguish in your soul. :D

That is on one of my playlists sandwiched between Patty's "You Don't Even Know Who I Am" and the following song:

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Country you say. I got all 12 tracks of "LeAnn Rimes" on my playlist. Great for speed limit cruising on an interstate trip. "LeAnn Rimes" is the eponymous fourth studio album by LeAnn Rimes, released in 1999.The album consists of covers of many country classics. AH... The voice....

·
Registered
10,227 Posts

Yes, I listen to music which isn't country as well. In fact, one of my friends once commented to me, "You have a very eclectic taste in music."

P.S. By the way, this just reminded me of the following. Back some years before I met my wife, I had a profile on Yahoo Personals. Yahoo imposed a 40 character limit on the profile title. Below is what I used.

Finish the lyrics: These city walls. U2?

Yeah, that is exactly 40. :D

I met some extremely interesting girls via that profile.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts