Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Like the round trumpets myself, your eyes go to them, as they are diff than other lines of the car. Also they add great bling in a low keyed way when polished.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Like the round trumpets myself, your eyes go to them, as they are diff than other lines of the car. Also they add great bling in a low keyed way when polished.
Interesting options, I like the mental exercise and generally I prefer geometric and angular designs, but having browsed all the options presented here... while I find the actual photo of the two angular pipes would be my pick amongst all the optional designs, I find the "as shipped" round exhaust tips the most appealing, no contest.

MrG 69
Enjoying every mile in my CGM/Kalahari 7sp Z51 2LT Coupe w NPP, Nav, CF Mirrors/Spoiler and BC Roof
** Sent from mobile using Corvette Stingray Forum App **

·
Registered
10,212 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I like the current C7 round pipes, would not and will not change it in my lifetime

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here is a question to those of you that prefer the round tips. If the car had come with these angular tips would you have excepted them as part of the new angular design exercise that the designers seemed to have in mind for the rear / rest of the car?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Here is a question to those of you that prefer the round tips. If the car had come with these angular tips would you have excepted them as part of the new angular design exercise that the designers seemed to have in mind for the rear / rest of the car?
No I don't think I would looks too much like the exhaust Cadillac is putting on their cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
dunno, it did not, so I won't speculate how I would feel...

·
Registered
922 Posts
The sound from the C7 brings a smile to your face. I wonder how many hours GM spent on the exhaust system and if the round pipes were needed to obtain the sound. I wouldn't pay the grand plus for the 5 horses but enjoy every dollar of it for the sound!

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I like the exhaust shape but I don't like the look the added white gives. I would have left the lower black.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
The sound from the C7 brings a smile to your face. I wonder how many hours GM spent on the exhaust system and if the round pipes were needed to obtain the sound. I wouldn't pay the grand plus for the 5 horses but enjoy every dollar of it for the sound!

That is actually a really good point about the resonant frequency and excited modes of the acoustics being a function of the shape of the pipes. They still could have hit the same frequency with a rectangular exhaust, but the dimensions would have had to change, and the exact mode would be different. With round tips, the modes are based on Bessel functions; with a rectangular shape, they would be sine functions.

·
Registered
813 Posts
We just finished up the install of our prototype tip. I agree with the very first post. There is absolutely nothing rounded on the car, why round tips. Seems dated to me. So this is why I decided to take matters into my own hands.

uploadfromtaptalk1396115586171.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396115641816.jpg

·
Registered
366 Posts
That is actually a really good point about the resonant frequency and excited modes of the acoustics being a function of the shape of the pipes. They still could have hit the same frequency with a rectangular exhaust, but the dimensions would have had to change, and the exact mode would be different. With round tips, the modes are based on Bessel functions; with a rectangular shape, they would be sine functions.
Wow! Some folks on here are clearly way smarter than me! ;-)

MrG 69
Enjoying every mile in my CGM/Kalahari 7sp Z51 2LT Coupe w NPP, Nav, CF Mirrors/Spoiler and BC Roof
** Sent from mobile using Corvette Stingray Forum App **

·
Administrator
15,019 Posts
I think you did a nice job on the design of the prototype tip. However for me, the NPP round tips imply power while (again just for me) I don't get that by seeing your prototype tip.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I like the exhaust shape but I don't like the look the added white gives. I would have left the lower black.

After looking at it for awhile I think I agree, but it would be interesting to mess around with that rear fascia to see what different treatments will do for the look.
Showstopper; IMO you need to partition that collector.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
showstopper, With your new exhaust tip, does it change the sound of the exhaust?

SF
Rick

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
So, since its angular, anyone think of a bow tie tip? Or would that be too 'truck'?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts