·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drive this 185hp 4cyl Firebreather:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Chevrolet

But after much deliberation, I just bought this one:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Corvette stingray

(I did not get the Carbon Flash Stinger though... **photo came from the dealer so I am not sure who to give the photo cred to. EXCELLENT picture)

My Equinox is a company car so I have always enjoyed having a freebie, but I couldn't resist any longer. I normally don't purchase toys of this magnitude due to my (typically) frugal spending habits. That said, I'm not sure what I should expect moving forward. The car is at the 2500 stage now and I hope to have it before Christmas.

I will continue to use the forum as a resource (it has gotten me to this point effectively) but I'd like to see any of you have any initial thoughts or tips as I navigate through the waiting game and my first few weeks with the car. And yes, I will read the "break in" thread!

Thanks ahead of time for any tips/advice you guys may have. I'm excited to join the fun!

Arctic White
z51 / 7spd
carbon fiber dash
transparent roof
red calipers
black wheels
black interior w suede inserts
carbon flash mirrors/spoiler
carbon flash badges
front/rear splash guards

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
You are going to be in for a whole bunch of incredible fun, amazing power and lots of attention from those who see you in your beautiful Stingray. Oh one other thing, your face will hurt until it gets used to smiling so much :cool:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Congratulations!!

What should you expect? Expect to have a smile on your face so wide that the corners of your mouth will touch on the back of your neck, and the top of your head will be in danger of falling off!!! Until then, expect that your wait from order to delivery will seem like a week for every actual day. You will be like a kid waiting for Christmas, except, you aren't sure exactly what day Christmas will be.

And welcome to the Forum, where you will learn hints, kinks, and all kinds of other useful information largely unavailable elsewhere.

·
Registered
952 Posts
If you have never driven one before BE CAREFUL! You can get yourself in a world of hurt very quickly if you do not pay attention. They are incredibly powerful, even in Stingray form, let alone the Z06's. The internet is full of pictures of cars that the owners did not respect or were not capable of handling. The driving course that is offered with the new Vettes is fairly expensive but almost a necessity for the person that goes from 100+ HP to the 460 or more HP, and the sophisticated handling characteristics of the Vettes. That said, you will have miles of smiles!!!!!!!

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you! I am usually very frugal and I'm known for keeping cars a very long time, but I couldn't resist it anymore......I saw the new Stingray and felt like a kid staring in the toy store window. I had to get one! I'm waiting too! I love your color choice and I'm sure you'll be finding any excuse to get behind the wheel. Congratulations!!

Reactions: docprego and Mobius

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you! I am usually very frugal and I'm known for keeping cars a very long time, but I couldn't resist it anymore......I saw the new Stingray and felt like a kid staring in the toy store window. I had to get one!
Wow, I could have written that, as it sums up my own situation so well.

It wasn't until I started reading about the C7 that the idea of getting a new Vette occurred to me - in fact for about the last 15 years I'd been wondering when Chevy would bring out a Vette that stirred up the feelings for me in the way that Ferrari and Lambo do...

Well, it only took just one trip to a dealer who had a number of pristine and polished C7s on the showroom floor... in less than 5 minutes I realized that I'd be getting a new Corvette.

I remember thinking, "I deserve this car", and 15 years is a long time to wait for Chevy to build it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Congrats man, I haven't stopped smiling yet

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
61 Posts
Definitely a unique experience; aside from the performance, you get guys shadowing as you drive along, front, side and rear, to check it out.
And sometimes there's a few egging you on while next to you, wanting to see what it'll do. Your option to oblige or not- :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the messages. I dont doubt the smiling one bit... As for losing control, I haven't wrecked any of my motorcycles since I was on my dirtbike as a kid (about 12 yrs) bc I have learned the hard way to be a little more controlled and deliberate when pushing a motor.

The idea of that driving course is definitely enticing but after going to the course I may be even MORE brave... bad thing? :confused:

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
Thanks for all of the messages. I dont doubt the smiling one bit... As for losing control, I haven't wrecked any of my motorcycles since I was on my dirtbike as a kid (about 12 yrs) bc I have learned the hard way to be a little more controlled and deliberate when pushing a motor.

The idea of that driving course is definitely enticing but after going to the course I may be even MORE brave... bad thing? :confused:
I don't think "more brave" but certainly better equipped to understand what both your car and you are capable of and your limits. Check out posts from those who have taken Ron Fellows course : http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-owners-logbook/4677-ron-fellows-follow-up-post-school-impressions.html Absolutely recommend the course for every new Stingray owner regardless of driving experience and intended use of your new Stingray.

Reactions: jreece

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Leave the traction control on.
$1,000 for two days on a track in someone else's car and instruction is cheep. I'll be there in March. :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Hey your Equinox looks identical to my wife's, wheels and all, LTZ right? Congrats on the Corvette!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Leave the traction control on.
$1,000 for two days on a track in someone else's car and instruction is cheep. I'll be there in March. :)

That was going to be my next question... definitely sounds reasonable after everything I just read. I'll be looking at March myself, as well as another guy I know from here.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Jreece, Congrads on a beautiful car. We also have a Chevy Equinox in the garage. Just a couple of notes...1) Respect the power. Don't let the weather and eco modes fool you. This car will still perform in these selections. 2) Like the prior posts, expect the attention and be ready to smile a lot. 3) Just have fun.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Jreece,
Congrats, you sound like me. I got shingles over the sleepless nights & stress trying to justify a second Vette. I still cannot justify it but the check got cashed and I'm left with the best Corvette ever produced.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
jreece, congrats on your order. When your Vette arrives at the dealership remind them not to wash it during prep and complete a detailed inspection of your masterpiece before you leave. Have a blast wheeling your C7 around AR!!!!!

SF
Rick

Reactions: Z06 Owned
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.