Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally just take my car to the dealer and get an oil and filter change but I am going to do like others and purchase the oil and filter online and supply to the dealership and pay them the $26 labor vs $130 for oil and filter change which I figure might save $50 overall by supplying the oil and filter.

What Oil and Filter do you recommend and/or are you purchasing and using in your Stingray Z51 Dry Sump if that matters? Post Picture of container labels if it's convenient.

PS: I saw some older posts on forum but nothing current which is why I am posting this thread now to see what people are using and why.

·
Administrator
15,764 Posts
Interesting. I have just always taken Redhot to my dealer. Any concerns that the service department might be less inclined to do a great job since they are not going to be making very much profit?

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a few friends that have been doing it for years at their Chevy Dealerships and I didn't believe them until they showed me pictures of their bills and they have never had a problem.

So, since I am self-quarantining and working from home and doing more online shopping I thought I would order a couple of 5Qt's of Oil and filter this this time around and drop car off for oil change.

Sharing my research while waiting on recommendations but think I have enough info here:

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mobil 1™ – Corvette’s recommended motor oil

Mobil 1™ advanced full synthetic motor oil has served as the factory fill for many Chevrolet Corvettes, including the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, and the recommended service fill for all Corvettes since 1993. As the Corvette evolved into the current world-class C7 sports car, the formulation of Mobil 1 motor oil advanced to meet the demands of these modern high-performance engines.

Mobil 1™ 5W-30 is the recommended service fill for many generations of Corvette, but for all C7 Corvettes we recommend upgrading to Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 0W-40. Please download our PDF for more information.
Today, Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 0W-40 synthetic motor oil is the factory fill for all C7 Corvette models and can be used by most C7 Corvette owners on both the street and the track (2019 ZR1 owners are asked to use Mobil 1™ 15W-50 for track days).

Mobil 1 motor oils are designed at the molecular level and enhanced with a proprietary additive system to provide outstanding protection against wear, heat, cold weather and sludge buildup – helping to keep Corvette engines running like new.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks and which filter are you using?

I wonder why they say "high mileage" in the heading but that is not on the container.... Website typo by Walmart perhaps? I checked other sites and they don't have the "high mileage" so just typo on Walmart's site.

Wow, you can't beat Walmart's 3x 5 quarts for $58 so if I am not mistaken, I can get six 5-quarts for $116 and enough for 3 oil changes because I believe it takes 9 quarts and FREE 2-day delivery..

This is what I have been using in my 2015 Coupe since new. View attachment 277235

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bought two 5 quart Mobile 1 5w30 oil and filter for $55 and Supplied to dealership and Paid $25 For the oil change for a total of $80 vs $130.
I do the exact same thing. And your pricing is right on. I've heard some dealers get a little pissy about bringing
your own oil & filter (I've never personally encountered that). Check with your service department first.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joe,

They only take service in appointments only and they have a pretty large waiting area that only about 5 people were waiting on their cars and Mask wearing is required. They sanitize the car before they get in and sanitize it when they return it.

The the north side of the show room is converted to additional seating that was spread out 10-12 feet and that's where I sat and only was 3 people sitting there. Some people sat outside on the ground against the wall catching some sun.

The huge corvette show room in the back side was totally empty and matter of fact there were no cars in the show room but sales people working and speaking with customers. Maybe it was all online and come in to complete paperwork.
CB7F9322-C49B-46D5-BF4B-FA4CEAC81EBF.jpeg

Kyle, did you stay out of the waiting room?

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called three dealerships and all said they allow you to bring your own oil and filter so I agree that you should call your local dealerships first and they will put in the appointment scheduling notes that you are bringing your own oil and filter.

I do the exact same thing. And your pricing is right on. I've heard some dealers get a little pissy about bringing
your own oil & filter (I've never personally encountered that). Check with your service department first.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, current '16 Z06
9,117 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to change my own. Usually get my oil at one of the wholesale big box stores, they have Mobil 1 5w30 six packs on sale, or go to Wallyworld for the 5 gal and 4 qts deal. I'm due.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
1) If they don't some other dealer will

2) They understand that $130-$150 for an oil change is a ripoff so....

3) 100% of $20-$30 labor only is better than 100% of $0

4) there are many Do it yourself's who will change their own oil so you lose a lot of revenue.

5) Someone like me, I could change my own oil but for convenience and only $30 I will let them do it because my time to me is worth more than spend 1-2 hours start to finish changing the oil because I do not have a lift.

I can see why you wonder and i couldn't believe it until I saw other corvette owners receipts and I call different dealerships and they said yes bring it in.

At the end of the day it's just oil and a filter and not risk or liability potential unlike liability like bringing your own parts like alternator, radiator, starter, fan belt, etc.

Just out of curiosity why would a dealer let you bring your own oil into the shop?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a few friends that have been doing it for years at their Chevy Dealerships and I didn't believe them until they showed me pictures of their bills and they have never had a problem.

So, since I am self-quarantining and working from home and doing more online shopping I thought I would order a couple of 5Qt's of Oil and filter this this time around and drop car off for oil change.

Sharing my research while waiting on recommendations but think I have enough info here:
1) If they don't some other dealer will

2) They understand that $130-$150 for an oil change is a ripoff so....

3) 100% of $30-$50 labor only is better than 100% of $0

4) there are many Do it yourself's who will change their own oil so you lose a lot of revenue.

5) Someone like me, I could change my own oil but for convenience and only $30 I will let them do it because my time to me is worth more than spend 1-2 hours start to finish changing the oil because I do not have a lift.

I can see why you wonder and i couldn't believe it until I saw other corvette owners receipts and I call different dealerships and they said yes bring it in.

At the end of the day it's just oil and a filter and not risk or liability potential unlike liability like bringing your own parts like alternator, radiator, starter, fan belt, etc.
Actually I brought in an air cleaner to be replaced ( the air filter was easy to replace myself)and they charged me $20.00. I suppose I could have replaced it myself but I’m not too handy.

·
Super Moderator
3,344 Posts
Just out of curiosity why would a dealer let you bring your own oil into the shop?
I asked my dealer if they would price match the same oil sold from Walmart? They said no but that I could buy it there and bring it in. They charge me $20 to change the oil and that includes the oil filter. So, I don’t know the exact reason why they allow it but I’m glad they do.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Administrator
15,764 Posts
I asked my dealer if they would price match the same oil sold from Walmart? They sold no but that I could buy it there and bring it in. They charge me $20 to change the oil and that includes the oil filter. So, I don’t know the exact reason why they allow it but I’m glad they do.
Wow, that is quite the deal Jeremy! Since several members including you have had such success, I might try that next time RedHot needs an oil change.

Reactions: Vigilance247

·
Registered
406 Posts
I asked my dealer if they would price match the same oil sold from Walmart? They sold no but that I could buy it there and bring it in. They charge me $20 to change the oil and that includes the oil filter. So, I don’t know the exact reason why they allow it but I’m glad they do.
Thinking about it, just may be for good will.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts