Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mainly looking for answers from the Manual Transmission guys for obvious reasons. The owners manual says you should never lug or labor the motor, but with 350 Ft/lbs of torque at just 2500 rpms (I thinks that's right), I wonder how low is too low to be considered "lugging/laboring" the motor. I find myself cruising at about 2k usually, but I'd love to get some more input.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
depends if you are going uphill or not. Level ground, 1500 works fine, no lug. You can feel if there is lug upon maintaining speed or accelerating.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm around 2000. I haven't been on the highway yet, never been in 6 or 7th. Just tossing the car around on the back roads so far.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cruising in my Non-Z51 at 70mph and 7th speed, I have no problem at all at 1300 rpm. There is no lugging unless I need to floor the pedal. Of course I do this on long stretch of freeway. I have at times had to reduce speed down to 55mph without upshifting, and still no lugging at 1000rpm on 7th gear, as long as I'm not trying to accelerate too fast.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Cruising in my Non-Z51 at 70mph and 7th speed, I have no problem at all at 1300 rpm. There is no lugging unless I need to floor the pedal. Of course I do this on long stretch of freeway. I have at times had to reduce speed down to 55mph without upshifting, and still no lugging at 1000rpm on 7th gear, as long as I'm not trying to accelerate too fast.
That is very similar to my experience.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I normally shift around 3000 & drive any where between 1800 and 2300. Sometimes when I'm "getting on it" I shift around 3600, it "feels like the right time". Should I max it out more? Any one else have any thoughts?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I normally cruise in 5th or 6th gear depending on the terrain and speed, this keeps me in the 1600 to 2000 rpm range which seems to keep the engine very happy. The torque curve is so broad that it is hard to lug this engine. Rarely do I use 7th unless I'm coming down a long grade and am travelling at 70 +. Most of my miles involve altitude changes of 4000' plus so I tend to shift more than someone living in a flatter section of the country. If I am getting on it and driving a little more aggressively my shift points are closer to 4000-5000 rpm range. I only hit the rev limiter one time before I realized that I was so close to redline, this motor revs quickly once you pass 3500-4000 rpm. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts