Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Z51 7M
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always value and appreciate advice from forum members.

I’ve purchased new sill plates to replace my badly scratched ones. I plan to protect these with Expel film and it’s my first time applying film. The plates require 3” width to cover only the plates. I bought a 6” roll. Question: would you wrap just the sill plates before installing them OR install them and take advantage of the 6” roll and wrap over the sill plates as well as the painted area around the sill plates.

Thanks!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I installed film over entire area. My shoes were scuffing the paint as well as the plate. Initially, I was concerned that I would not like the way the film covered the gap between plate and door. That covering is not bad and I like not having dirt accumulate in that crack. The end of the film toward the front of the car is not noticeable. I ended the bottom oft he film in the natural crease of the door jam. My biggest difficulty was deciding how far toward the back of the car to go. I stopped at the point the curves of the car started to give my trouble.

Line toward front of car is far enough forward that it is hard to see unless looking for it.
Automotive tire Hood Synthetic rubber Automotive design Grey

Line at bottom of the film is the cut I made. That is, I used the factory cut at the top. This line at the bottom can't be seen unless you get down like I did to take this picture.
Automotive lighting Grille Wheel Bumper Vehicle

Line toward back of car. Some dirt accumulates on the bottom of the film at this far bottom corner. The point at which water drains to. I wish I had cut the corner of the film at an angle here so it did not fall so far into the low point of the door frame.
Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Grey Rim

If you don't know to look for it you cant hardly tell the film covers the gap between plat and door frame. I am glad dirt does not accumulate in here.
Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive design Vehicle

was deciding how far toward the back of the car to go. I stopped at the point the curves of the car started to give my trouble.

·
Registered
2015 Z51 7M
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed film over entire area. My shoes were scuffing the paint as well as the plate. Initially, I was concerned that I would not like the way the film covered the gap between plate and door. That covering is not bad and I like not having dirt accumulate in that crack. The end of the film toward the front of the car is not noticeable. I ended the bottom oft he film in the natural crease of the door jam. My biggest difficulty was deciding how far toward the back of the car to go. I stopped at the point the curves of the car started to give my trouble.

Line toward front of car is far enough forward that it is hard to see unless looking for it.
View attachment 282618

Line at bottom of the film is the cut I made. That is, I used the factory cut at the top. This line at the bottom can't be seen unless you get down like I did to take this picture.
View attachment 282619

Line toward back of car. Some dirt accumulates on the bottom of the film at this far bottom corner. The point at which water drains to. I wish I had cut the corner of the film at an angle here so it did not fall so far into the low point of the door frame.
View attachment 282617

If you don't know to look for it you cant hardly tell the film covers the gap between plat and door frame. I am glad dirt does not accumulate in here.
View attachment 282616
was deciding how far toward the back of the car to go. I stopped at the point the curves of the car started to give my trouble.
Thanks ALCHMST. That’s what I want to do for the same reasons you state. The film is supposed to stretch so I hope to tuck it in a little bit around the sill plate. I appreciate your response and taking the time to include photos.

I’ll probably install mine over Thanksgiving weekend and will post the results assuming I don’t screw it up.

Thanks again.

Still interested in hearing from others.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks ALCHMST. That’s what I want to do for the same reasons you state. The film is supposed to stretch so I hope to tuck it in a little bit around the sill plate. I appreciate your response and taking the time to include photos.

I’ll probably install mine over Thanksgiving weekend and will post the results assuming I don’t screw it up.

Thanks again.

Still interested in hearing from others.
I had XPel do the step plates when I was at Boeling Green for an event.
They covered the entire area & wrapped it around the outside “bullnose” curve. Can’t even tell it’s there.
I’ve even used this PPF on a Mt Bike, it doesn’t stretch that much. It’s definitely not like a body wrap. Be careful stretching it too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts