Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wrote this info in my reply on a different thread but I decided to start a new one.

Many of us here are in the same position regarding the C7 Z06: deposit placed at various dealers months ago prior to knowing anything including price, allocations, etc. Of course, the deposits were put down only for a spot in line to order the car once ordering starts.

If someone puts down a deposit and gets everything in writing including: 2015 Z06 will be sold at msrp, your deposit is #2 so you are the 2nd in line to order the car, etc... I'd guess that most dealers are honest and will honor their deals. However, maybe not 100% of the time. So what can someone really do if their dealer reneges on any part of a written receipt/agreement? Yell and scream and get nowhere, call GM, get an attorney, write bad things about the dealer online. I guess I'm just curious what others would do if your deal goes sour and you find out that it was your dealers fault. What can you do? What will you do?

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
A good dealership will not do that for many reasons: integrity to not do it in the first place, also because they would not want their name tarnished which is worth so much more to them than just one deal.

A bad dealership one will not care what you try to do.

For what it is worth, add the BBB to the list.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think most dealers are happy to honour deals as made. If they want to charge above MSRP, they'll do it up front. If a bad reputation cost them even 1 or 2 sales, it would completely negate any additional profit they make off a single sale, so why do it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with your replies and I know it's unlikely. However, I was just asking what would someone do if it did happen? Or what could someone do?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the dealer wants to be a jerk, there is little you can do that will help.
I'm not so sure that I could just shrug my shoulders, put my hands in the air, and say oh well I got screwed. Not a big deal, I'll wait for a 2016 lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
The short and skinny of it is much the same as if you wanted to back away and they tried to rely on the written agreement - nothing. Trust me you are not alone as the only people that can really sit back are those that have been told they are No 1 at a respectable dealer that is guaranteed an allocation. But then again, there is a much respected dealer in Canada that has sold sufficient vets last year that got nothing, and only realized it after I called them asking if they had any allocations available. They hadn't a clue and later called back thanking me for my information, stating that they never knew why but they never got one.

It's a crap shoot...with much much better odds in the US than Canada. The word on our streets are 28, a number repeated by several dealers who were fortunate to get allocations.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I follow the age old rule of "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me."

Once someone tries to take advantage of me, I am history. Forever. There are no second chances in ethics. It exists, or it doesn't. If the entity you are dealing with can not be trusted, run!

More to the point, I would walk from such a dealer, LOUDLY making their poor ethnics well known. As far as lawyers et al, no way. What could I possibly win? The opportunity to do business with the sleaze that tried hosing me in the first place? No thank you! I would do everything I could to expose the dealer...but I wouldn't spend much money, time or anguish trying to get even. There's no future in retaliation. There is not a car in the world I want bad enough to deal with a low life.

Pick a reputable dealer with a strong history of fair dealings and life will be SO much easier.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Believe it or not a good survey is worth thousands of dollars to a dealership. At least that's what I was told by a friend in the car business. They don't want a bad survey. It supposedly costs them money.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Believe it or not a good survey is worth thousands of dollars to a dealership. At least that's what I was told by a friend in the car business. They don't want a bad survey. It supposedly costs them money.
very true, but you only get a survey if you buy the car, if they jack you around before you close, it does not hurt them at all..

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would do what I would hope others would do....tell us in forums like this what happened. Leave the emotion out to the best of your ability and be open about the whole experience. It will make a difference for others and the dealership whose reputation will need serious damage control. Unfortunately it will not help your situation...and as one member just stated, do you really want to do business with someone whose ethics are in question?!? In today's social media-focused society, an unethical dealership cannot run and hide. In the long run, you will have done more damage to them than they have done to you. Just my 2 cents.....

Reactions: LT1xL82

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
I would do what I would hope others would do....tell us in forums like this what happened. Leave the emotion out to the best of your ability and be open about the whole experience. It will make a difference for others and the dealership whose reputation will need serious damage control. Unfortunately it will not help your situation...and as one member just stated, do you really want to do business with someone whose ethics are in question?!? In today's social media-focused society, an unethical dealership cannot run and hide. In the long run, you will have done more damage to them than they have done to you. Just my 2 cents.....
I think it is a good approach; however, it would be more effective if there were two threads in each of the regional forums: a good dealership experience thread saying where and what great experiences there were, and a second thread for bad dealership experiences saying where someone received bad sales or service in done way, with a description for what happened so people can be informed and make up their own minds.

Putting it in the regional forums will allow people to search for dealerships in their area more easily.

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
I think it is a good approach; however, it would be more effective if there were two threads in each of the regional forums: a good dealership experience thread saying where and what great experiences there were, and a second thread for bad dealership experiences saying where someone received bad sales or service in done way, with a description for what happened so people can be informed and make up their own minds.

Putting it in the regional forums will allow people to search for dealerships in their area more easily.
I like the concept Rodney, however I have concern about how to control false or malicious posts. We don't want to end up having the forum involved in a slander suit. It certainly warrants additional thought.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I wrote this info in my reply on a different thread but I decided to start a new one.

Many of us here are in the same position regarding the C7 Z06: deposit placed at various dealers months ago prior to knowing anything including price, allocations, etc. Of course, the deposits were put down only for a spot in line to order the car once ordering starts.

If someone puts down a deposit and gets everything in writing including: 2015 Z06 will be sold at msrp, your deposit is #2 so you are the 2nd in line to order the car, etc... I'd guess that most dealers are honest and will honor their deals. However, maybe not 100% of the time. So what can someone really do if their dealer reneges on any part of a written receipt/agreement? Yell and scream and get nowhere, call GM, get an attorney, write bad things about the dealer online. I guess I'm just curious what others would do if your deal goes sour and you find out that it was your dealers fault. What can you do? What will you do?
Wow!!!!! Maybe I'm missing something here. No offense Andrew and with all due respect, I'm not sure why this thread was even started. Maybe I'm missing something here. And again, no disrespect intended, but your question involves an event that hasn't actually occurred or occurred yet.... I'm thinking there might be some sort of trust issues involved here. I had an attorney who was partners with four other attorneys involved in a major residential development company tell me one day, "If I can't trust a person I'm doing business with, I don't do business with them." This hit me as being very profound and also very true. From that point on, I began living and doing business with that exact same philosophy.

If the dealership you provided your deposit with has only been in business for a couple of years and you haven't done your homework regarding their reputation, then shame on you. If the dealership has been around for 10+ years, then you have a better chance they are straight up. Regardless though, anytime you intend to do business with anyone (Business), do your homework first, first, first. Now, if I were the dealership you made you deposit with and caught wind of what is being discussed here, I think I'd probably give you a call and request you come into the dealership and pick up your deposit, because it wouldn't be worth it to me to have to deal with the mistrust. Again, I don't mean to offend here, but I don't understand the point. Sorry......

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
I like the concept Rodney, however I have concern about how to control false or malicious posts. We don't want to end up having the forum involved in a slander suit. It certainly warrants additional thought.
Fortunately, our laws in the U.S. are written so that such libel suits would be extremely difficult to win, even if the forum did nothing to protect itself. On the other hand, a simple disclaimer from the forum stating that the forum does not control the accuracy of the content, and that readers should be aware that the posts could be false should take the forum's exposure from very little to, I would think, nothing.

What does the forum do with respect to legal exposure from other sources? For example, what if someone bought an aftermarket part from a forum-sponsoring vendor, had a loss due to that part, and wanted to sue not only the vendor, but also the forum for positive reviews or endorsements? What if someone on the forum writes an opinion post about some car mod, and it causes damage to the car of someone following that advice? Would the forum be held accountable? I sure hope not!

My point is that we should not fear lawsuits to the forum based on the posts of members' experiences, or advice, or reviews. If we do, then, at some point, the forum will be so constrained in its utility for allowing a dialogue between members that it will become much less useful.

I understand the desire to be cautious, but, frankly, I don't see how there is risk to the forum to allow members to post regional threads sharing their dealership experiences, whether those reviews are true or fabricated.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Wow!!!!! Maybe I'm missing something here. No offense Andrew and with all due respect, I'm not sure why this thread was even started. Maybe I'm missing something here. And again, no disrespect intended, but your question involves an event that hasn't actually occurred or occurred yet...

Now, if I were the dealership you made you deposit with and caught wind of what is being discussed here, I think I'd probably give you a call and request you come into the dealership and pick up your deposit, because it wouldn't be worth it to me to have to deal with the mistrust. Again, I don't mean to offend here, but I don't understand the point. Sorry......
I'm actually surprised that you're surprised that this thread was started. My question involves events that have actually happened to other members. I read several stories in other threads by other members whose dealer lets just say, didn't do the right thing. One member even wrote "I can tell you from past experience, deposits mean nothing." So to answer your question, I started the thread after reading that reply. I simply asked what could someone do if it happened to them. I wasn't referring to me at all and I'm quite happy with the dealer I'm working with. Maybe you can point out to me where I mentioned anything in my post that would imply that I don't trust my dealer. No offense taken..

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have always been very impressed at this forum's ability for "self-policing". When something just doesn't add up, forum members can and will sniff it out and question the poster. The reason I made the statement about "leaving the emotion out" is because letting unemotional facts speak for themselves will resonate in forums like this. I don't think I would have went with an out-of-state dealership (MacMulkin) if it was not for the fact that members in this forum gave me the confidence to do so. While that is no guarantee that my experience will be like theirs, I sent in my deposit and I sleep well.

I do like Rodney's idea because I like reading about both good and bad service. I have been extremely happy with how Jessy worked with me at MacMulkin so far. However, where can I put my feelings and compliments unless I just start a new thread?

I have no problems with Andrew's question. I think most of us have been in situations in which we are unsure of an outcome (not saying that this is why Andrew posted this) and are framing our potential actions or decisions. I went into my local dealer about a month ago just to look at what they had on their showroom floor...well, I just wanted to drool. I never led them on and limited my conversation only because I had already placed my order. Well their sales manager came out to talk to me and we did discuss the ordering process a little bit. He informed me that the Z-51 option was on constraint.....and that would be the case "for all dealerships no matter where I went". He also stated that I would not be able to get a Z-51 2015 until at least Dec or Jan at the earliest. I did not challenge him even though I knew better. If I was unaware of this forum and I placed my deposit with my local dealership....and all I got was BS when I asked about my order....I would want to let others know that.

As for doing our homework....I guess I was lucky that I stumbled across this forum well before placing my order. To be honest, I cannot tell you how "uninformed" I felt after digesting the wealth of information here. I could have easily placed my deposit with my local dealership thinking that all dealerships with respect to Corvettes are the same.

We have very smart and passionate people in this forum and centralizing a location for us to post our experiences will serve us all well.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'm actually surprised that you're surprised that this thread was started. My question involves events that have actually happened to other members. I read several stories in other threads by other members whose dealer lets just say, didn't do the right thing. One member even wrote "I can tell you from past experience, deposits mean nothing." So to answer your question, I started the thread after reading that reply. I simply asked what could someone do if it happened to them. I wasn't referring to me at all and I'm quite happy with the dealer I'm working with. Maybe you can point out to me where I mentioned anything in my post that would imply that I don't trust my dealer. No offense taken..
Andrew, I totally understand where your coming from here, it's just that when we get into some discussions like this, it often triggers insecurities in perhaps those that might feel like they are in uncharted waters and promotes unsettling feelings about having placed their deposit with an otherwise great dealership, with a great reputation with outstanding sales staff. I know new and used car dealerships have a tremendous turnover in sales staff with their new staff dealing with the truck and general vehicle sales. The Corvette definitely doesn't fall under the general and truck categories, therefore they have people on their staff that specialize in Corvette sales. Those individuals are much better trained and better equipped to deal with Corvette buyers, who are a completely different breed of cat. Usually much better informed.

Car dealerships are like any other type of business where franchises are involved and you have good ones and not so good ones and then flat out bad ones. Whether their shortcomings are in their sales staff or their service department, I'm sure it varies. However, the bad ones that fall out of trust end up being here today and gone tomorrow. It takes little time for the bad ones to go belly-up. What I said about trust and doing our homework as consumers is paramount with any business we choose to deal with, large or small. We can often avoid unfortunate experiences by simply becoming well informed as consumers. This is where forums come in. Whats sometimes unfortunate is forums usually attract all sorts from all walks of life with a wide array of personality types and there are those that love to spread discontent amongst the troops and then you run into spoilers that love to simply stir the pot.

Believe me, I'm no expert at any of this, however I purchased my last vehicle from an out-of-state dealership from where I live and had an outstanding experience making new friends at the same time. I live in California, but placed my deposit with Mike Furman at Criswell Chevrolet in Maryland, which is 3000 miles from home. Why? Because Mike has an unquestionably impeccable reputation and has been in the business of selling Corvettes for over 35-years. Mike's honest and displays the integrity and character it takes to survive the length of time he's been in the business. I haven't lost one minute of sleep over any of this. Why? Because I did my homework by joining this forum and found out who the major players are. Personally, there are three human characteristics I stand by as an individual, Honesty, Integrity and Character and those are the traits in people I choose to surround myself with. Even car salesmen and dealerships. Trust me when I say, I had many dealerships to choose from in my immediate area in California, but all I had to do was look at the dealer packs or what they were adding onto MSRP and that quickly told me the tale of where they're coming from.

Again, no offense intended. I know the subject of the thread is a concern by many, however it simply struck me as spreading discontent amongst those that may have placed their deposit with various dealerships. That's all. As of the time I'm writing this, our dealerships haven't even been provided their allocations yet, so any numbers from a dealership is purely speculative. If a dealership is anticipating only 2-3 allocations for Z06's, I personally don't think I would have made my deposit with them. Hey, all our decisions and choices are based on and reflects on ourselves. Anytime I might get burned, I have to tell myself I should have done my homework on that....

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
agree with the above.....with one caveat...and it's a quirk - because dealers are so strong financially,and can prey on the sonic customers and the like, most of them, even if they do bad business, can survive, they don't follow the normal business environment where "if you do bad business you die".....they die VERY slowly, as in decades....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts