Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy and attracted to both C7 and C6. Worried about rim issue on C7 that keeps surfacing and I am bothered that the C7 has none of the common driver safety items that the Camaro have for such a beautiful car.
My GF is a big of Mustang and I like them also but not with the same desire as I have for a hard top Vette.

So, looking at the C7 years - are there some years better than others? Thanks. I am also a DIY kinda guy if that matters.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,361 Posts
Well, question is very subjective as to years with problems, all years have had some issues and usually the last couple model years are the least problematic. My '16 has had some issues but all straightened out under warranty, so I'm still a happy camper. Sorry wasn't much help, good luck on your search. (no Mustangs.....😁)

·
Administrator
16,096 Posts
Check out real reliability data by owners at TrueDelta for all the years of the C7 2014-2019.

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,012 Posts
2014 because the A8 transmission introduced in 2015 has been very problematic. If you go for the M7, I'd say any year was OK. My 2014 Z51 M7 3LT was absolutely problem free and it was my daily driver until I sold it shortly before picking up my C8.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Adding my .02 .
2016 and newer had the front cameras. Only thing I miss not having in my 2015. Otherwise love the C7 .Find myself staring at it every time I see it . Even in my own garage...

Reactions: Ronin2014 and Norm

·
Registered
64 Posts
As much as I love the technical possibilities by moving to a mid engine, I just really love the feel of driving manual. I know I'm not as quick, but :)... I first owned (lucked into) a C4 '84 Z51 in '94 and I drove that for 20 years. I really did not like the look of the C5s or C6's (even though driving friends' cars, the technology diffs were huge) and when I first saw the upcoming C7 on Jay Leno... I became obsessed, LOL :), and Ronin demanded a new body too. I ordered him, watched him being built (with the photo album) and did the NCM Delivery. I like the first years of a new body style, but that's just a personal preference. As others have said I'd look at '16 -'19. I can't recommend the C7 enough. It's pure bliss driving and looks so wicked cool, :). I actually had the gas tank gauges break in the first year and they have to drop the tranny to get to that and when they did they found the bell housing was cracked. Now I know (because I saw it being built), that the bell housing was totally intact when the upper body was mated in the plant so maybe it was a good thing it was found. All repaired under warranty and since then not a problem. Currently at 40K miles and still absolutely in love, :).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looking to buy and attracted to both C7 and C6. Worried about rim issue on C7 that keeps surfacing and I am bothered that the C7 has none of the common driver safety items that the Camaro have for such a beautiful car.
My GF is a big of Mustang and I like them also but not with the same desire as I have for a hard top Vette.

So, looking at the C7 years - are there some years better than others? Thanks. I am also a DIY kinda guy if that matters.
As a senior owner of #505 of the initial 2014 production of 550 I have never had Any issue. As a matter of fact it has the original battery. Though it is not a daily driver and it is garaged in the dry AZ climate I do use a GM trickle charging unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have a 2014 Stingray Z51. The only time it has been to the dealer is for scheduled oil changes. It has been and is a superb car in every way.

·
Administrator
16,096 Posts
Welcome to our forum Manweb. Congrats on your '14 Z51.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good luck deciding! We have a 7 year-old 2014 M7 with about 92,000 (nearly all highway) miles recorded. We've been pleasantly surprised by its reliability. Consistently more than 30 mpg on long trips. Of course we drive it easy - 1695 hours recorded - in part because we try to stay nearly legal!

·
Registered
186 Posts

had a 15 and the trans was so bad they bought it back got a 16 and engine blew up at 15 mph and they hodge poged it back together, 4 times they changed and flushed the trans fluid.My c6 not 1 problem in my opinion the c7's are junk. I've had 26 corvettes and will never buy another 1 buy the c6

·
Registered
33 Posts

All Grand Sport and Z06 years have problems with the wheels. Expect to have bent and cracked rims regularly. I had 3 cracks and 3 bent wheels on my 2017 Z06 in 12k miles and switched to Forgeline wheels with no issues since. The overheating problems in the Z06 were addressed in 2017 but I'm not positive they were 100% addressed in the A8. I've never had a problem with overheating with my 17 on the track except for the electric power steering motor when I forgot to turn off the AC but it cools and is fine. Very reliable overall and no unscheduled maintenance that wasn't of my own doing in 17k miles and that includes probably 25 hours of track time.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have owned my 2014 2LT Z51 A6 coupe with 75,0116 miles since May 1, 2014. Other than some minor warranty work, it has been a great car and continues to drive as new.

·
Registered
2014 Corvette Stingray
5 Posts

I have a 2014 C7 Stingray. It's daily driver with 60k on it. I haven't had any problems at all. No noises. No shudder in the transmission. Electrically all works fine. DIC and center screen never went out. I buy a car to drive it and to that effect, the C7 is wonderful.

My previous car was a 2001 Corvette, also a daily driver. It had over 200k on it and I never had any trouble. I believe the cars a very well made and I follow all recommended maintenance. Hope this helps alleviate some of your fears. Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a 2014 Premier Edition #007/500 .All the Premier Editions were m 7.I had a few items repaired under warranty,infotainment screen,driver seat cover,battery and thats about it.Every day i drive it its a thrill.Bought new.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The C7 8 speed automatic is problematic. I am on my 3rd transmission, all do to shifting issues, shuddering (vibrating), oil that absorbs moisture, torque converter and oil drain back issues. That same tranny is used in other GM vehicles which have similar issues. What upsets me is that GM refused to honor the warranty. They used every excuse imaginable, like it will fix itself as you drive it more, the module needs reflashing, give it time, you are driving incorrectly. I finally gave up when they told me they all have issues and not to bring it back if it is driveable. That's right, if it's driveable, they won't repair. Mine was manufactured in the fall of 2014, and for 5 years I hassled with them to fix, they never did, I gave up, GM wins, they got my money and didn't honor the warranty. Beware of that transmission, just because it seems OK today is no guarantee, and beware of GM.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts