Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Research stress cracks in windshields. Happens at top right where the clips are to take too off. GM claimed they never heard of problem and would do nothing. Pics and complaints are all over. Our area dealer never even called back after three calls to service manager and two visits to two different dealers. Expensive replacement with a HUD windshield.

·
Administrator
16,097 Posts
Research stress cracks in windshields. Happens at top right where the clips are to take too off. GM claimed they never heard of problem and would do nothing. Pics and complaints are all over. Our area dealer never even called back after three calls to service manager and two visits to two different dealers. Expensive replacement with a HUD windshield.
Yes definitely there was an issue with some C7s having windshields that ended up cracking from studs on the frame that were not properly trimmed. However, many of those were replaced under original warranty. However IMO it is not a reason to avoid any specific year of the C7.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bumper to bumper warranty only works when GM feels like supporting it; if they don't want to address the issue, they just ignore you hoping you go away. Suggest you get legal help, I did..

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
120 Posts
Hey hotrodvette! I'm #445/500! You are the first other Premier owner I've seen! GREAT car!!! I've only owned mine for about 6 months and it's now got 4200 miles on it but the car is SOLID. An article I read said that the '14 Corvette is probably the best of any new model first year cars, and I believe it. I have heard of issues with the later automatics. The 1-2 shift when "cold" (I live in SW Fla) is a tad "notchy" but not a bit deal. I just go 1-3 until things get warm. Shouldn't be jumping on it until things are warmed up and ready to go anyhow. Hmmmm.... maybe the "notchy" was by design... ;) (since the pic was taken, I've replaced the side marker lights with the "blacked out" replacements and LOVE the look. )
P1050546.JPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking to buy and attracted to both C7 and C6. Worried about rim issue on C7 that keeps surfacing and I am bothered that the C7 has none of the common driver safety items that the Camaro have for such a beautiful car.
My GF is a big of Mustang and I like them also but not with the same desire as I have for a hard top Vette.

So, looking at the C7 years - are there some years better than others? Thanks. I am also a DIY kinda guy if that matters.
I have a 2016 1LT Stingray. I bought it as a leftover in 2017. It is an automatic with chrome rims, updated exhaust and the specialty Long Beach Red paint job. The car looks and runs great. I haven't had any problems with the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes definitely there was an issue with some C7s having windshields that ended up cracking from studs on the frame that were not properly trimmed. However, many of those were replaced under original warranty. However IMO it is not a reason to avoid any specific year of the C7.
I agree!!!! Just wanted them to know if a known issue. We love our C7!!!! It is a beast!!! Just wish GM would have addressed the issue. We also had the transmission problem and after going through the recommended fluid change, things are good. Just put Baby away for the winter and already dreaming of her awakening!!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
I've got a 2016 Z06 with about 21,000 miles on it. Replaced the battery and tires (with all seasons) last April after 4 years Battery was slow to start after the last winter on its charger and the tires were showing cords on the inside of the right rear so I did an alignment as well. Right side wheels were slightly bent but easily balanced out so nothing to do yet. Had a windshield washer pump fail in the first year. Had the triple flush done on the transmission to reduce shudder and it seemed to work. Yes I agree first-to-second shift is clunky when the A8 transmission is cold but not so much that I worry about it. It smooths out after it warms a bit. Had the Mag Ride software upgrade done, which improved the feel of the car. But that is pretty much it for issues. Overall I love this car and I expect to keep it a long time. --Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looking to buy and attracted to both C7 and C6. Worried about rim issue on C7 that keeps surfacing and I am bothered that the C7 has none of the common driver safety items that the Camaro have for such a beautiful car.
My GF is a big of Mustang and I like them also but not with the same desire as I have for a hard top Vette.

So, looking at the C7 years - are there some years better than others? Thanks. I am also a DIY kinda guy if that matters.
I have a 2014 C& Z51, bought new from dealer with 7 miles on it, now have 30,000 miles. Nothing has had to be done except scheduled maintenance. I do not drive it hard and it has never been on a track. But no problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got a 2016 Z06 with about 21,000 miles on it. Replaced the battery and tires (with all seasons) last April after 4 years Battery was slow to start after the last winter on its charger and the tires were showing cords on the inside of the right rear so I did an alignment as well. Right side wheels were slightly bent but easily balanced out so nothing to do yet. Had a windshield washer pump fail in the first year. Had the triple flush done on the transmission to reduce shudder and it seemed to work. Yes I agree first-to-second shift is clunky when the A8 transmission is cold but not so much that I worry about it. It smooths out after it warms a bit. Had the Mag Ride software upgrade done, which improved the feel of the car. But that is pretty much it for issues. Overall I love this car and I expect to keep it a long time. --Bob
Even under warranty, my dealer refused to flush and put in the new reformulated transmission oil, said GM would not pay if the car was running.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Reminds me of Harley Davidson. I had a CVO Touring bike a few years ago that sounded like a Model A when the motor was running. Bike was less than 3 years old and had a full HD extended warranty. After several visits to the dealer who agreed it didn't sound right the Service Manager told me HD doesn't fix bikes that are going to break. Bring it back when it breaks..
Drove it around front and traded it in....

Although carma can be a bitch a month later a guy I know called me and wanted to show me the really cool bike he just bought from a dealer. Low mileage and in great condition. Yep, he bought my old bike. Not wanting to spoil his new bike experience I kept my mouth shut. I've since moved away so no idea if it ever got repaired but all of us have different points that we are willing to live with. Perhaps the noise didn't bother him...

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have a 2016 Stingray automatic and the car has been trouble free for 130,000 miles outside of a belt tensioner pulley replaced under warranty. But the most reliable would be the last model year of the Stingray, Grandsport, and Z06. They all had at least minor upgrades from each model year to the next. I know my 2019 Z06 has upgraded cooling and a lot of parts used on the ZR1 were implemented into the Z06 model.
My 2019 Z06 had to have the torque tube replaced. Other than that it has been perfect. Best care I have ever had with currently 26,000 miles on it. There was never any inherent issues with the torque tubes in these cars. It was just a fluke.
Now the transmission fluid that was previously used in the A8 models was a bad actor, but subsequently has been upgraded to mitigate any ongoing issues with the A8.
As to the wheels on the GS and Z? Poorly designed cast wheels is all I can say. I've been fortunate so far, but not holding my breath.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Good to hear from real owners altho via YouTube - many have had, and continue to have problems with bent wheels and all this issues to deal with that brings. That is enough to be very concerning to a new vette buyer. I live outside of Seattle where we have moderate climate and not too many pot holes.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I was in that predicament as well. Despite the advice to avoid the '14s, and to avoid the 3LT trim, I went with a '14 3LT. I'm playing with fire if the warnings are to be believed. But here I am. I love the car. My neighbors love the car. Everybody loves this car, it seems. I say, if you find the car (and color) that rocks your world (and passes YOUR mechanics pre-purchase inspection), then go for it. There are no guarantees no matter whose advice you follow.
ps. You say you're a DIY kinda guy? Well, it's a Chevy, so....good to go!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2017and it is just great

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts