Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, since I haven't seen any detailed pictures I figured I'd share some with you. Note that I do not have my z51 yet....hopefully next week, so I have no proof if this actually stops the oil from the dry sump burping. I'll add more to this once I've got the car and installed/put some miles on her. Enjoy!

So first off here's what it fully looks like...top, side, and bottom.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403892476.914247.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403892498.996974.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403892513.971330.jpg

The barb on the side where your line hooks up has threads so you can take it apart and even has an o-ring to seal it up. Pretty nice
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403892597.688855.jpg

Once you unscrew the bottom piece off here's what's inside.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403892660.109931.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403892684.612928.jpg

Cheers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I placed an order for a catchcan from Elite about three weeks ago and their site still says awaiting fulfillment. No one answers phone or returns messages. Anyone else experiencing problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Banned
631 Posts
I placed an order for a catchcan from Elite about three weeks ago and their site still says awaiting fulfillment. No one answers phone or returns messages. Anyone else experiencing problems?

I'm sure they are as backed up as we are. The demand has just gone through the roof.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Hey guys, since I haven't seen any detailed pictures I figured I'd share some with you. Note that I do not have my z51 yet....hopefully next week, so I have no proof if this actually stops the oil from the dry sump burping. I'll add more to this once I've got the car and installed/put some miles on her...
Cheers.
When your ready to file a report on how it works please use this thread.http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-maintenance/4458-catch-can-user-reports.html

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I ordered their "good" can off their website within a few days of you (three weeks ago) and installed it four days later. Mine was black, their "standard color".

It seems to do the job, and it looks like a factory install.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

Send Steve at Elite an email. I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago as well, a blue anodized one. Steve emailed me that he was out of them in that and other colors. He offered to fill the order with black or I could wait for the blue. He said it would be a couple of weeks and I told him I would wait for the blue one. I emailed him each week for a status update and he responded to me the same day each time. Yesterday he emailed me that it went out FedEx, so I should have it this next week. Email him with your order# and he will let you know where it is in the process.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where do I find Steve's email. I sent several messages through the ordering site with no response. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to report that my Z51 has 360 miles or so on it now and the clean side separator was installed at 9 miles on the odometer.

I've checked the line on both ends and swabbed with a q-tip and there's absolutely no oil getting to the line.

Also took off the intake where it ties in to and she's dry as a bone. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404633271.482664.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404633279.932070.jpg

Took off the separator and noticed some oil leaking down from the small holes in it. Obviously it's working pretty well so far, although I won't be running to redline until at least 500 miles on the car.

I'll report more later

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
CK_Bladesmith, thank you for your update!

I understand that you are still under 500 miles and have not gotten on the throttle hard yet, but it is still interesting that your clean side separator did get hit with oil. It is also interesting that it did its job and did not let any of that oil pass through, and your air box side is clean.

Please keep us informed about your observations after break-in is over and you can really get on the throttle then.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
What I don't understand is even if GM does not want to add a catch can on the PCV system, why don't they integrate a clean side separator into the oil reservoir just behind their standard nipple which connects to the hose which goes to the air box?

This "baffles" me (all puns intended). :)

·
Banned
631 Posts
Excellent results!!! To date, GM has not addressed any of the current engines as far as cleanside aside from the super charged engines in the CTS-V, ZL1, and ZR1.....but it is a no brainer IMHO. But the cost again (I go back to the ign switch $.60 cent (or $.50 cent) they ignored for 10 years......the cost to implement would be substantial and most likely nixed by management) would make it hard to get them to do.

They do with the Camaro 1LE road race option include a very crude plastic version.....but it is nearly $200 to buy separate.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi guys. ..I am not a techy in car engines etc...usually get everything done by a workshop.
I have read a lot here about clean side separator and catch cans. .and don't know if a person should get both or just one. .do they work together or,,,

I am currently shipping the car from nc to Saudi Arabia. ..no track use...but hot weather. .and I have fun with it on the highways. ..

Need advise. .With which sort as when I went to the websites hold alot...
THANKS

Sent from my SM-P905 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car now has a little over 400 miles on it and I was tempted to take her to 6500 one time.

Im happy to report that there is still absolutely no oil in the line connected to the clean side separator still.

This car is stupid fast and hopefully haven't hurt anything by hitting 6500 one time.

Other than that one run to redline I've been keeping it at 4000 and doing lots of 2,3, and 4th gear pulls from 2000rpms to 4000 and then decelerating back down to 2k or so.

Just got the elite E2 can installed as well so we will she what she produces in a couple hundred miles.

More to report later.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Excellent results!!! To date, GM has not addressed any of the current engines as far as cleanside aside from the super charged engines in the CTS-V, ZL1, and ZR1.....but it is a no brainer IMHO. But the cost again (I go back to the ign switch $.60 cent (or $.50 cent) they ignored for 10 years......the cost to implement would be substantial and most likely nixed by management) would make it hard to get them to do.

They do with the Camaro 1LE road race option include a very crude plastic version.....but it is nearly $200 to buy separate.
The GM version is an empty plastic unit and not very effective. For the price, get the RX dual valve and cleanside separator installed right from the start and not have to worry. You can call direct if you like: 941-721-1826

The car now has a little over 400 miles on it and I was tempted to take her to 6500 one time.

Im happy to report that there is still absolutely no oil in the line connected to the clean side separator still.

This car is stupid fast and hopefully haven't hurt anything by hitting 6500 one time.

Other than that one run to redline I've been keeping it at 4000 and doing lots of 2,3, and 4th gear pulls from 2000rpms to 4000 and then decelerating back down to 2k or so.

Just got the elite E2 can installed as well so we will she what she produces in a couple hundred miles.

More to report later.
The E2 is the only Elite can to even consider on these, the smaller "Good" or "Better" can will not stop all anywhere near the E2 and the E2 also corrects the crankcase pressure issue that contributes to the "Burping" of oil.

Keep us posted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts