Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of people are able to put 18'' rim on there z06s but never really saw anything to clear on what can fit on the stingray. Would I be able to fit a 18 or even smaller having smaller brakes?

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
You can put 18" on the fronts of a base Stingray.

Reactions: Racer_X

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
19"s were the minimum OEM size for rears.

Reactions: Racer_X

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
Why would you consider reducing brake rotor size and the stopping power of your C7?

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I believe some people did an 18" square setup (e.g., all 4 wheels) even on the Z-51 for track use, but not 100% positive.

Found something on another forum, but can't post a link to it. But some people said they're using the following:

Forgeline GS1R Open Lug w/Cap
18x11 (F) and 18x12.5 (R)

CCW TS12 (lightest CCW wheel that clears brakes in 18”) 18”x11” and 18”x13”

So it can be done. The one thing to watch out for is clearance for balance weights. A friend of mine was going to buy my 18"/19" base model rims to run winter tires on his Z51. The wheels cleared fine, but there was interference between the brake caliper and balance weight on one of the fronts. The rear brake rotors and calipers are smaller than the fronts, so if 18s clear the fronts they should clear the rears without any problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I see a lot of people are able to put 18'' rim on there z06s but never really saw anything to clear on what can fit on the stingray. Would I be able to fit a 18 or even smaller having smaller brakes?
Base Stingray come with 18"x 8.5" in the front and 19"x10" rear. Z51 and Z06 come with 19"x10" front and 20"x12" rear

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would be very concerned about weight carrying capacity being reduced. Corvette's already have passenger and cargo weights around 550 LBS. If you reduce the wheel size, keep the aspect ratio the same, the air chamber gets even smaller and weight capacity get lower. You also have to deal with different steering characteristics of the vehicle. If you change impacts the overall diameter of the tires everything based on vehicle speed, is impacted. This include A8 shift points, ABS engagement points, traction control, etc. If you keep the overall diameter the same then the handling will get significantly worse because will introduce increased sidewall flex. They are 1 inch taller after all. Other than track in some very specific situations I would do some serious research before I made this shift.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
^^^
I agree for street use, but I'd guess he's looking at 18s for track use. There is a much bigger variety of track tires available in 18" sizes than in 19s or 20s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts