Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is a proper question for the Forum, but what the heck is wrong with the Corvette racing team? I turned on the TUDOR race Sunday and it looked like the C7R was towing a trailer. EVERYBODY was passing them. I went to the Corvette Racing website and it posts the same old company stuff -- this happened or that happened. "We put up a great race…" Pablum. Anyway, does anyone out there have any facts to share?

·
18,670 Posts
The answer is nothing is wrong with Corvette racing, but that the racing body, faced with Corvette winning the early season races, added weight to Corvette, while giving enhancements to competitors, i.e., giving them larger restrictor sizes, better aero packages, and/allowing our competitors to race at a less weight.

It is the old "balance of performance adjustments " that has resulted in the C7.R's not being competitive at this time. Porsches have been "given the moon" for the last few races, and their consequent much higher top speeds have killed us (and somewhat hurt other competitors). Whether we are given positive balance of performance adjustments for the remaining races of this season, or Porsche and others penalized to being back their current advantages, is unknown. You can rest assured that Doug Fehan, the Corvette racing Team Manager, has been extremely and repeatedly vocal behind the scenes as to how this has resulted in unfair situation for Corvette racing .

Again, nothing wrong with the Corvette team, nor its drivers; it is just that to "foster competition," we have been screwed -- at least temporarily.

·
Registered
401 Posts
For ref... IMSA and NASCAR are under the same bigger umbrella.. SCCA-Pro also does some levelling in its series

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, thank you all for confirming what I suspected was the issue -- "competitive balance." It's truly unfortunate that the organizations take this type of "penalize the winners" attitude. It really takes the fun and competitiveness out of these events. Hopefully they'll readdress this mistake and fix the rules for next year. Anyway, thanks again for the information.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JimLill, I really can't call it "leveling" if you're giving a decided advantage to other types. So the "advantage" now swings in their favor. Did you see the Porsches and Beemers zipping past the C7s? It's a joke. It's like the PGA TOUR putting Jordan Speith on the back tees and everyone else hits from the ladies' markets. I sure don't mind competition -- on a level playing field. If you get beat, you get beat. But at least let's all run the same course.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Exactly elegant. I like adhering to this forum's etiquette and will not comment further on the engineering archived with this race car few have been able to achieve without competition leveling. What a joke. I liked the OP's 'everyone gets a trophy' comment.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I saw two separate and complete races in the GTLM class, a Porsche/Ferrari race and, 50 seconds and greater down the lap, a Corvette/BMW class, plus the GTD class. I many others emailed Scott Atherton to let him know IMSA was ruining the series. I got a canned letter but you want to also send him a response here is his email address: Atherton, Scott - [email protected]

Here is the canned letter:

Thank you for taking time to write. Your passion for IMSA sports car racing – and Corvette – is obvious and very much appreciated. I appreciate you bringing to my attention your thoughts about the VIR race as well as Corvette and Porsche race teams. Our fans are very important to us and I hope this will help to address some of the concerns of Corvette Nation.

You raised several points that are worthy of a response, but I will focus on just a few. I can assure you that IMSA is completely unbiased in its administration of the Adjustment of Performance. It is in our best interest to have all participating manufacturers and teams treated as fairly and equally as possible. However, there are a lot of variables that are completed out of IMSA’s control – as it should be. Candidly, whatever cars do not win, the fans of those brands are always vocal regarding the AoP. However, the AoP process is completely transparent and solely driven by data. It is an objective process that is not influenced in any way by any factor other than documented car performance data.

The Corvettes compete in the GTLM category, the most professional, competitive and sophisticated production-based sports car racing platform in the world. This class features full factory-backed efforts by some of the largest and most successful manufacturers in the world. As a result all of the cars are constantly being “developed” with on-going improvements in performance, efficiency and reliability. In brief, none of the cars in the GTLM class ever race in the same configuration twice – they are always evolving. Additionally the GTLM class in an “open tire competition” class – meaning that rather than using a “spec” Continental tire (as is the case with all other TUDOR classes) that every competitor uses and is always the same, Michelin and Falken (the two tire manufacturers currently competing in the GTLM class) are constantly developing new compounds and tire configurations. I am not the technical expert on our staff but I would suggest that the most recent changes in the Corvette’s performance are a combination of technical developments by opposing teams and the introduction of a new tire that may be more effective on other GTLM cars compared to the Corvette. This is not something that IMSA controls. It is a byproduct of factory-backed racing and of open tire competition. The Corvette Racing team has had many successes this season, but for a combination of reasons has not been as successful in recent races. If history is our guide, we are confident they will return to their winning ways in the not distant future.

Charley, thank you again for being a fan – of IMSA sports car racing and Corvette. With two races remaining on the ’15 schedule the Championship battles remain wide open. We value your support and commitment and hope that you will tune-in to watch the remaining races.

All the Best,

Scott

·
18,670 Posts
Thank you cor123 for sharing the note from Scott Atherton, and you are so right that is was a typical non-response from a CEO. Scott is overall doing a good job, but he has, as his highest priority, adding more and more new brands AND also preventing any brand who has not been winning, from leaving the series (taking their marbles home).

Hopefully, their competition committee is ready to make some needed and deserved changes for the last two races this year, so we have a good chance to excell again -- before we were "negatively adjusted while others being positively adjusted."

Thanks again for sharing his note!

·
Registered
647 Posts
A petition is going around asking IMSA to readdress the AoP issue in the GTLM class. You can sign here:

Race fans spend plenty of money going to the Tudor Races all season. Tickets hotels food etc. Thousands of dollars. We expect to see racing! We do not approve and will no longer support a race series where the outcome is fixed. On a regular basis a team that is doing well is punished for no reason other than they are doing well. Over the last two seasons one team has been consistently punished with Balance of Power adjustments, at the same time teams that are all ready faster are given further assistance. This gentlemen is not racing. We the fans respectfully request that this biased processes is stopped. Yes the cars need to be competitive however you do not penalize the better teams. There are many ways to ensure that the cars are equal. What is currently being done is not the way for the series to continue.
Letter to
Mr. Scott Atherton
Mr. Jim France
Mr. Ed Bennett
and 2 others
Mr. David Pettit
Mr. Simon Hodgson
Stop unfair IMSA BOP/AOP

https://www.change.org/p/mr-scott-a...tit-mr-simon-hodgson-stop-unfair-imsa-bop-aop

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am way down on the Road Racing expert scale, but I seem to remember several years ago when the Corvette was so good that they won almost everything and, as a result, everybody else did, indeed, pick up their marbles and went home. All we had was ourselves to race against. That was no fun and, as I recall, didn't last long either.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am way down on the Road Racing expert scale, but I seem to remember several years ago when the Corvette was so good that they won almost everything and, as a result, everybody else did, indeed, pick up their marbles and went home. All we had was ourselves to race against. That was no fun and, as I recall, didn't last long either.
And thus the conundrum that IMSA faces. Its so simple to all of us NOT really involved. But it ain't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts