Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my first case of curb rash recently on my passenger rear wheel so I thought it was time to move forward with Wheel Bands. I ordered them from Southern Car Parts, who was awesome to deal with, and they arrived quickly. Today I finally thought I'd celebrate Father's Day by working on this fun little project. Well, it didn't work out how I had intended. Here's the problem, the track is wound so tight that when it is placed on the Z51 rim the two ends want to curve in toward the center of the wheel. I then put the band into the track and it helped straighten it out a bit but it is certainly out of round on that one spot. I thought I'd give it another shot on another wheel since the first wheel was done with the end of the track that I ordered but same issue. I then went to their website and noticed in the photo gallery that some of them appear to have this one "out of round" spot. Well, that's not how I roll. I now need to either find another similar product to help with possible future curb rash (and cover the existing blemish) or just pay for a repair whenever it happens. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,059 Posts
Look up Rimblades. They have three different products: Rimblades, Scuffs and Rimbands.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I then put the band into the track and it helped straighten it out a bit but it is certainly out of round on that one spot.
As you work around the wheel during installation the first end of mounting track put down on the wheel can start to curl down on wheels 20" and over. Depending on the time involved from start to finish around the wheel the color insert bridged across the end joint may or may not get things lined back up on the first pass. Since January of this year the new tape we are using can be removed from the wheel and repositioned by pulling straight up. You should be able to still go back to the wheels you did and lift up the first 5 or 6 inches on each end of the mounting track and then reposition. After repositioning, immediately bridge the joint with the color insert. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction you can get a refund from us through Southern Car Parts. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Banned
77 Posts
So I finally got my first case of curb rash recently on my passenger rear wheel so I thought it was time to move forward with Wheel Bands. I ordered them from Southern Car Parts, who was awesome to deal with, and they arrived quickly. Today I finally thought I'd celebrate Father's Day by working on this fun little project. Well, it didn't work out how I had intended. Here's the problem, the track is wound so tight that when it is placed on the Z51 rim the two ends want to curve in toward the center of the wheel. I then put the band into the track and it helped straighten it out a bit but it is certainly out of round on that one spot. I thought I'd give it another shot on another wheel since the first wheel was done with the end of the track that I ordered but same issue. I then went to their website and noticed in the photo gallery that some of them appear to have this one "out of round" spot. Well, that's not how I roll. I now need to either find another similar product to help with possible future curb rash (and cover the existing blemish) or just pay for a repair whenever it happens. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
I have seen this on a car and it just looks bad to me. It reminds me of curb feelers form back in the day. In my opionion I would replace a damaged wheel when it happens. Hang the damaged wheel on the wall in your garage or turn it into somthing interesting. I get the want to protect things but the look out ways it in my opionion.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Or just start practicing to stay off the curbs......not trying to be a wise ass, there are several here that don't have that problem, but it takes perpetual eternal vigilence to be aware of where your wheels are at all times.

I have not Rashed a wheel in 20 odd years, but realize if I'm not watching, it could happen tomorrow.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have rasher wherls in the past but now use Glen's method. Watch curbs any time you approach one like it was out to cost you big money, as it is!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As you work around the wheel during installation the first end of mounting track put down on the wheel can start to curl down on wheels 20" and over. Depending on the time involved from start to finish around the wheel the color insert bridged across the end joint may or may not get things lined back up on the first pass. Since January of this year the new tape we are using can be removed from the wheel and repositioned by pulling straight up. You should be able to still go back to the wheels you did and lift up the first 5 or 6 inches on each end of the mounting track and then reposition. After repositioning, immediately bridge the joint with the color insert. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction you can get a refund from us through Southern Car Parts. Let us know how it turns out.
No luck. Thx for your willingness to refund the item. I was going to chalk it up to one of those things you try but just didn't work out. I'll check with them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or just start practicing to stay off the curbs......not trying to be a wise ass, there are several here that don't have that problem, but it takes perpetual eternal vigilence to be aware of where your wheels are at all times.

I have not Rashed a wheel in 20 odd years, but realize if I'm not watching, it could happen tomorrow.
Thx for the advice Glen. That is very helpful. I'll make sure that I let my wife know your words of wisdom as neither one of us felt the incident so we don't know who is at fault.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts