Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a DIY detail junkie, I decided to seal my wheels with Poorboys World Wheel sealant. Since I had decided to take the wheels off, in order to fully seal them, it seemed appropriate to polish them first. Unfortunately there are no "Before" pictures, but I think the "After" ones will speak for themselves.

The black painted Z51 wheels are clear coated, so I figured a light polish would work well.

As always the car drew a crowd in the garage. People asked all kinds of questions about the car, and what I was doing. I'm pretty sure no one had ever seen someone polish their wheels before!

Here is a list of tools used during this project:

Portercable 7424XP

Lake Country Orange polishing pad

Meguiars M205 ultra fine polish

Poorboys world wheel sealant

Junk microfiber towels

50/50 Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)

And about 3.5 hours.

Now if I can just find a way to prevent or reduce rotor surface rust during washing?! Any suggestions? :confused:

IMG_20141211_140254.jpg IMG_20141211_140259.jpg IMG_20141211_150944.jpg IMG_20141213_161640.jpg IMG_20141213_161628.jpg

·
Administrator
15,981 Posts
Looks great. Good process and results. As to rotor oxidation on washing the easiest solution is to take your Stingray out after finishing it for a drive and lightly use the brakes. Should clear the surface 'rust.'

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The back of the car in that first pic is a shade I haven't seen out of my NRB yet. Thought it was LRG for a sec.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks great. Good process and results. As to rotor oxidation on washing the easiest solution is to take your Stingray out after finishing it for a drive and lightly use the brakes. Should clear the surface 'rust.'
I'll give that a try. Thanks, Jeff.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The back of the car in that first pic is a shade I haven't seen out of my NRB yet. Thought it was LRG for a sec.

I noticed that too, Rick. The shop was kind of dimly lit with fluorescent lights. With the garage doors closed to keep the heat in, the sun's light was kept out. So far my favorite hue from NRB is the deep-royal purple. There's a mysteriousness and richness about it that I can't get enough of.

Once I move to Fallon, Nevada, I'm going to strip the coats of Chemical Guys Jet Seal, then glaze the car with Chemical guys Blacklight, then reseal it. I'll create a thread on that one as well. I'm going for depth, gloss and wetness. Lol @ depth and wetness…...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Looks real nice. I'm going to get busy doing the same to mine!

·
Registered
418 Posts
sweet!

Reactions: somethincreativ

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
seriously, when you run low on your stuff, try CarPro hydro2...pretty amazing how you apply it, and cuts time in half for sealing...
Wow! I just read about that on auto geek.com. I'll definitely give that a try once this wears off! Thanks Glen for the info.

Here are two more pictures from today with some sun.

IMG_20141214_093205.jpg IMG_20141214_093221.jpg

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Also, if you are really addicted to detailing, get a 3 INCH griots orbital.....so nice for wheels, grills, etc

·
Super Moderator
3,356 Posts
That garage reminds me of the Navy Auto Hobby shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I really want to do this but do not have access to a lift and honestly and a bit freaked out about putting a jack under the car…any advice on that? I am certain I can get the wheels to be perfect on the inside of the rim - but wonder if it will be worth is since it is so tight to get in there and clean after a ride. Anyway..have any of you jacked up the car to remove the wheels?

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Just make sure you install a set of Jack Pucks first. I would also invest in a set of Wheel Woolies which make cleaning the wheels much easier.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really want to do this but do not have access to a lift and honestly and a bit freaked out about putting a jack under the car…any advice on that? I am certain I can get the wheels to be perfect on the inside of the rim - but wonder if it will be worth is since it is so tight to get in there and clean after a ride. Anyway..have any of you jacked up the car to remove the wheels?
The rear lift points are easy to locate, the fronts are a bit more discrete. I would take Liner Boy's advice on the lift pucks. I had the shop manager help in locating the front lift points. The car was stable on the lift, but rocked noticeably when i bumped it.

Polishing your wheels would be pointless unless you sealed them immediately afterwards. This sealant is working very well. Brake dust doesn't stick to the wheels, and what little dust is there gets blasted off with my power washer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks…Not sure what a jack puck is, but I will be sure to get them along with the wheel woolies!! I spent all day apply wax to a perfectly clean car; so this sounds like fun!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts