Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have noticed that some Stingray owners have a red stripe on their black wheels? I have only seen this on torch red stingrays. I have artic white and am thinking of adding a white stripe to my black wheels?

Thoughts on looks, stripe width, pattern?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Not sure if this is what you are seeing, but there is an aftermarket site that sells rings (of different colors) that can be inserted between the tire and the wheel that looks like it is part of the rim. I seem to remember that it is called a curb rash guard or something like that.

I found this, but I think there are different types / brands
http://www.wheelbands.com/

·
18,670 Posts
Found this months ago, a comparison of three different types of rim band "coloring options," but in addition to these three, you have pin striping, and of course, the ability to buy custom wheels in which the outer rim is painted a body color (or contrasting color).

Alloy Gators - 1/2" wide hard plastic molded and adjustable to match radius up to 21" wheels. To mount, deflate tires and pound metal fastening clips in just short of tire bead. Lots of meat on the hard plastic to grind down before hitting alloy rim.

Rim Blades - 1/2" wide soft extruded rubber. Profile has foot to bend around and follow outer lip of wheel radius. Tapes on. Softer material offers some defense against curbing but not as much as the Alloy Gator.

Wheel Bands - 1/4" wide hard plastic with formed in arc that flexes enough to match radius on wheels from 13" to 22". Mounting track tapes on. Second removable color insert piece snaps into mounting track. Still not as much defense against curb rash as Alloy Gators but the snap-in color inserts are reversible or replaceable after curbing without having to remount entire tire/wheel assembly.

Here's a web site with a couple videos to help learn about mounting a couple of these options.

Alloy Wheel Protectors ? Rimblades and RImbands

One thing I like about all of these five options is that if one chooses to go with black wheels, all these options all provide a visual "break or difference" between the wheel and tire. [Please, this is not a black wheels versus chrome wheels thread, so let's not go there.]

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have thought about putting them on my rims. After seeing the SEMA vette with the red pinstripes on the wheels I have been hooked.

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
I had them added by a local pin-striper who did RedHot's by hand. I decided for a very subtle stripe that would tie everything together:

Pin stripe & Brembo.jpg

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
not my cup of tea, imo

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
I like it.

Reactions: idahopilgrim

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just ordered the AlloyGators in white! Will post pics once I receive and install on my Arctic White 2LT!

Reactions: elegant
1 - 20 of 53 Posts