Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the good old days the rule of thumb was to wait a month or so for the paint to cure before waxing or polishing.
Is this still a good idea? Especially if you take delivery from a factory order?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
No need to wait, it's fully cured and ready to detail by the time it reaches you.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Mike; I think Mark is right, but I always wait a month or so just to make sure. I do make every effort to keep the car free from any kind of substance that might stain the painted surfaces though by washing it frequently.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I hope so because I'm doing the CQFinest this week and I picked it up.at the dealer a week ago fri.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Generally speaking the old "wait 30-60 days to wax" rule has become obsolete when it comes to factory finishes. Some body shop repairs do still require a waiting period because those materials aren't "baked" in the same way paint is at the factory, and thus will continue to out-gas as they cure -- though even that is not a 100% rule anymore as technology and chemistry change over time.

I hope so because I'm doing the CQFinest this week and I picked it up.at the dealer a week ago fri.
Factory paint is almost always fully cured by the time it reaches the end of the assembly line due to the way it is formulated and applied; not to mention that all C7s are 'quarantined' at the factory for two weeks before being shipped out -- it's most likely already a month old by the time you get your hands on it.

You shouldn't have any issues at all with your CQFinest install; be sure to post pics when it's done!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Factory paint is almost always fully cured by the time it reaches the end of the assembly line due to the way it is formulated and applied; not to mention that all C7s are 'quarantined' at the factory for two weeks before being shipped out -- it's most likely already a month old by the time you get your hands on it.

You shouldn't have any issues at all with your CQFinest install; be sure to post pics when it's done!
To be clear, only the Museum Delivery and the new MY runs are "quarantined" for 2 weeks. There are plenty of documented cases where cars rolled off the line one day and showed up at the dealer 2 or 3 days later.

Reactions: glen e

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
To be clear, only the Museum Delivery and the new MY runs are "quarantined" for 2 weeks. There are plenty of documented cases where cars rolled off the line one day and showed up at the dealer 2 or 3 days later.
I'm just basing that on what I was told a couple weeks ago during a tour of the factory, but that doesn't necessarily mean the guide's information was accurate. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I'm just basing that on what I was told a couple weeks ago during a tour of the factory, but that doesn't necessarily mean the guide's information was accurate. Thanks!
I understand, I got the same info when I was there. They just regurgitate what they are told and it's always safe to under commit and over deliver. If you expect a 2 week wait and the car shows up early you are happy vs. wondering where your car is.

Reactions: C. Charles Hahn

·
Registered
44 Posts
My car was shipped on Friday of the week it was built and arrived at the dealer in Northern Wisconsin a week later. The car arrives completely covered in a white cloth suit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts