Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at the Dyno chart for the Z06, and seeing that the peak torque is at lower RPM of 3200, and that the peak hp is at redline, 6800 rpm, I'm wondering where the "power band" is when exiting a turn on the track; where there is peak torque, or peak hp?:confused:

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Torque. That is what will get you going.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Based on those same charts: Everywhere. That engine is making diesel torque at idle. Knowing how broad and linear the Z51 is, I can only imagine how invincible the Z06 will feel. But it looks like 4k will be where the fun begins.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
650 hp/trq it'll pull everywhere. Even the Stingray pulls hard with just 460.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Babaron, If I understand your question correctly, I am not certain that your question may have an absolute and simple answer. If you are racing the car, then you are looking to maximize the car's speed potential in the straightaways, so to the extend that you can exit a turn to achieve that or the extend that you can go deep into a a turn at the end of a long straightaway is achieving the best performance for your car. At either one of these you are making big demands on suspension and brakes. This is closely linked to your ability to do this. I drove an A sedan in SCCA and ICSCC. We tinkered allot with the transmission gears and the final drive gears to maximize the speed of the cars between turns. You can never built transmission gear sets to suit all situations even in the same track so you are compromising. The dilemma is that you may be close to the rev limits before reaching your next braking area and so must decide to either shift up or hold the RPM at its limit. If you shift up you, the car may be below the sweet spot and you may waste time then shifting down to match the speed at the next turn. You may consider taking your car to a track and slowly work towards its potential to develop your skill with your car. I suspect most us will not be at 10/10 with this car for a while.

Best,

Jose

·
18,670 Posts
To paraphrase "somethincreativ" and "53vette," (thank you), the LT4 pulls like a proverbial freight train. And to quote an expert, Carroll Shelby, "horsepower is for bragging rights, torque is for winning races."

The LT4 has the most torque of every 2015 production car, except three that average $1,105,000. Even with its super eLSD, avoiding frying your tires is going to take great throttle modulation skills, especially on damp/wet pavement, cold weather conditions, etc.

·
Registered
817 Posts
... If you are racing the car, then you are looking to maximize the car's speed potential in the straightaways...
At the risk of splitting hairs, I have a bit of a different take on this. In my mind, you're looking to minimize time, not maximize top speed. In this sense, a road race and a drag race are similar, the lowest elapsed time wins (reaction time at the lights not withstanding) regardless of maximum speed. This is where broad power curves becomes king. It may not yield the fastest top speed, but can very well deliver the lowest elapsed time from start to finish.

Regardless, the LT4 is going to be a stump puller. I had a C3 454 CID big block and the acceleration at low to mid rpm's impressed many a person...and if wasn't a 650/650 motor by any stretch! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts