Stingray Corvette Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 2080 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I won't be driving my 2019 Stinray Convertible until the end of April. It has been driven only once in the rain. Last September to take my wife's ashes to the cemetary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is a beautiful day here in Juneau, Alaska so I "broke" out the Corvette for the year. No top down yet still a little cool for an old man like me. Suppose to be 70 in the next few days. Yahoo!

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
It is a beautiful day here in Juneau, Alaska so I "broke" out the Corvette for the year. No top down yet still a little cool for an old man like me. Suppose to be 70 in the next few days. Yahoo!
Great, so now you have no excuse for not entering our May Virtual Car show contest Click here May Contest and let's see your beauty :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm a wimp from Ohio. May 8th and frost is forecast for this weekend. Still covered and battery tendered. Looking forward to nice roof off motoring.

·
Registered
391 Posts
A little bit of a post weekend trip report... this past Sunday and Monday, we drove the Stingray from The Villages in Florida, to our home just west of Manitowoc Wisconsin. Was a two ten hour driving days trip, with an overnight stay in Clarksville, TN. As we drove north on our first day, approaching Nashville... The weather turned from beautiful, to Wizard of Oz like... torrential rain with reported winds of 70 mph. Was literally raining sideways. Just as we were exiting the worst of the storm, had to drive through an area of highway that was littered with what looked like old chrome side trim from 60's vintage automobiles... did my best to avoid it, but managed to run over one piece that flipped up and sounded pretty bad from inside the car. Photo shows the result... could have been worse I guess. My initial thought is to attempt a 'home fix'... I've done some before that came out virtually undetectable... using touch up paint, maybe such as Dr. Colorchip (even though they don't recommend using their system to repair scratches). Would rather have a NEARLY invisible touch up, rather than a whole door that is a tad off color. I think most of the large 'rash' will buff out. Any thoughts?

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
927 Posts
You can certainly buff it out as much as possible but a scratch that you can feel with your fingernail will not buff out. Dr. Color Chip (about $40) is OK to color it so it is harder to see (and that may turn out fine for you). I have used it with success on stone chips and it was fine for that. But if you want to really repair it right, you will need to get it painted. Normally on this type of damage if a body shop can't buff it out they can fill the scratch, do a small spot touch-up with paint and clear coat the whole door so you shouldn't have a paint mismatch problem. I did this once on one of my ZR-1s (dark green) and it came out just fine for a couple hundred bucks. That is also how my Z06 rear panel was repaired when a lady backed into me and scratched the paint in a similar way to your damage. That one cost more because they had to remove the rear panel and replace an emblem. So I guess I would at least recommend getting an estimate from a body shop you like.--Bob

Reactions: autoxal

·
Registered
118 Posts
Less than a mile away to the tinting shop. Now i gotta figure out what to do with the clear top as it is too hot inside. Maybe wrap it or trade someone for their color top.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Road America!!!

Laps track event this weekend!

Can’t wait!

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
Less than a mile away to the tinting shop. Now i gotta figure out what to do with the clear top as it is too hot inside. Maybe wrap it or trade someone for their color top.
If you haven't seen these options before, you might find it of help Transparent Roof Sun Shade . I live in on the edge of the Mojave Desert, outside of Las Vegas. The sun here and temps can be pretty intense. The dot matrix static film in my write up (link) has done a great job for the past 6 years keeping the interior comfortable, while still preserving the enjoyment of looking out through the roof.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you haven't seen these options before, you might find it of help Transparent Roof Sun Shade . I live in on the edge of the Mojave Desert, outside of Las Vegas. The sun here and temps can be pretty intense. The dot matrix static film in my write up (link) has done a great job for the past 6 years keeping the interior comfortable, while still preserving the enjoyment of looking out through the roof.
Thanks for the info. Where can you buy these shades at?

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
No luck. All i get is roofing comps. And for the heatshield sunshade on Amazon it shows nothing for the C7 but every other car.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You can certainly buff it out as much as possible but a scratch that you can feel with your fingernail will not buff out. Dr. Color Chip (about $40) is OK to color it so it is harder to see (and that may turn out fine for you). I have used it with success on stone chips and it was fine for that. But if you want to really repair it right, you will need to get it painted. Normally on this type of damage if a body shop can't buff it out they can fill the scratch, do a small spot touch-up with paint and clear coat the whole door so you shouldn't have a paint mismatch problem. I did this once on one of my ZR-1s (dark green) and it came out just fine for a couple hundred bucks. That is also how my Z06 rear panel was repaired when a lady backed into me and scratched the paint in a similar way to your damage. That one cost more because they had to remove the rear panel and replace an emblem. So I guess I would at least recommend getting an estimate from a body shop you like.--Bob
Dr. Colorchip did an okay fix... my partner Sandi knew where it was and can't see the fix. For me to see it... I need to view at exactly the right angle AND have something of the proper brightness reflecting onto the finish... at the correct reflective angle.... meaning... it looks pretty, pretty, pretty (anyone watch "Curb your enthusiasm?) good!

I did do the paint, squeegee, buff thing at least five times, with day(s) of drying between.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
That looks great Al K.! Very nice job.

·
Registered
2014 Z51
9 Posts
Now that we have our StingRay, Star, home in SoCal I am asked where we are driving for the weekend. So I thought I might ask what you all might be up to all over North America on the weekend!

We're gonna be cruising around Orange County and taking in some of the cooler weather.
Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier National Park this coming weekend.

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier National Park this coming weekend.
Should be a beautiful drive! Enjoy :cool:

2061 - 2080 of 2080 Posts