Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost all articles list manual 0-60 as fast as 3.8 seconds. I don't see much info for automatic.
Any one know what the acceleration differences actually are?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
It's within a tenth of a second either way...not sure why this is important in the grand scheme of things.....either one is still one of the fastest cars on the planet....

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'd add that the auto will most likely give you the most consistent repeatable times, whereas the stick time and repeatability will be subject to the driver's skill. That said, the stick will still be more fun.

·
Registered
10,422 Posts
I read somewhere that the automatic 0-60 time is faster than the manual even with a professional driving the manual. I don't know if this is true. Can anyone provide a definitive answer?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I read somewhere that the automatic 0-60 time is faster than the manual even with a professional driving the manual. I don't know if this is true. Can anyone provide a definitive answer?
No definitive answer but autos have come a long way and also since we're talking 0-60 means whether you're talking auto or manual might mean we're not even shifting to the next gear so it comes down to the experience of the driver also tech stuff like traction control, off or on? As mention the difference if any is going to be quite small.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It's within a tenth of a second either way...not sure why this is important in the grand scheme of things.....either one is still one of the fastest cars on the planet....
This is one of the fastest cars at this price range. But there are a lot of cars that can kick our asses at a stop light. Be careful who you taunt. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get the auto if you want to be the quickest, get the manual if you think it is more fun and want to save $1295 and get better gas mileage. I tried drag racing my M6 car several times and unless you spend a lot of time practicing it is hard to be consistent.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
This is one of the fastest cars at this price range. But there are a lot of cars that can kick our asses at a stop light. Be careful who you taunt. :)
Only one car you don't want to "taunt" one that says Police Car on the side of it. ;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Almost all articles list manual 0-60 as fast as 3.8 seconds. I don't see much info for automatic.
Any one know what the acceleration differences actually are?
Go over to the "other" corvette forum (worst car forum on the internet)... they argue about this kind of crap in every thread. Hell, some even argue which color is faster! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
124 Posts
z51 Stingray will not make 60 in first. You do have to make a shift.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The automatic tranny is just a bit quicker than the manual.......another thing to consider... "manual drivers work harder to go slower at the drag strip" there's a reason formula 1 cars aren't manual.... Teams want to win races not have fun

·
18,670 Posts
The C6 Z06 was geared to go to 60 in first gear. The StingRay is not. (I have a beautiful 505 HP, C6 Z06 and would trade, even up, for a $51,000 no option StingRay every day.)

·
Registered
993 Posts
The automatic tranny is just a bit quicker than the manual.......another thing to consider... "manual drivers work harder to go slower at the drag strip" there's a reason formula 1 cars aren't manual.... Teams want to win races not have fun
:):):)

Of course I bought my 7 speed for fun.

Reactions: Emmdmd and MrG69

·
Registered
504 Posts
I ordered a C7 for several reasons, Beauty, balanced handling, and world class performance measured in several disciplines. I don't care if it isn't the fastest 0 to 60 or 1/4 mile ET, just like the guy or girl who orders one color over the other its all about "personal" preference. I could care less if an automatic transmission will get me to 60 in .1 tenths of a second quicker, I love a manual transmission and all of the things you can experience with a manual that do not come with automatics, once again it is just..... personal preference which is the only thing you should consider...... will I work harder? yes will I enjoy it more? yes, will I win races? don't know and don't care. It's like telling a guy who orders a black car that he is going to work harder to keep it looking good.. I think he knows that but once again, it is his or her preference.

·
Registered
10,422 Posts
I wanted a manual, but was swaying back and forth for many reasons including if my wife needed to drive it "in an emergency" as she said in the beginning. Some time after that, while I was still contemplating the pros and cons, I briefly mentioned that I had not yet made up my mind. She said, "Yes, you did. Don't you remember? You decided to get an automatic in case I ever need to drive it." I said I did not remember making that decision, but I think it was made for me.

Hey VA Buckeye, you called this one correctly 6 weeks ago. Congrats! You know more about my life, and women in general, than I do...

Reactions: smokey12
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.