Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In adjusting shifter as it feels "too" notchy. Found this. 2 months old and less than 3000 miles. Great materials selection GM......

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1405789859.435273.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like you need A new shifter.
Yeah, bet it will do it again. POS.

Was trying to not do aftermarket this time around but may have to. This Ishtar plain silly. .

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
I have read several posts on another forum about this issue. Those owners were installing the MGW shifter when they found the dust boot was falling apart.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Staying stock for now. Tranny is getting more notchy.....mainly into 1 and 1-2, sometimes 2-3 as time goes on and may need to take it in. Temp doesn't matter. Adjustment/check didn't help. : (

As a side note. I noticed the MGW guys claim the C7 shifter is the same as the '13 on one of their videos. So much for Tadge saying only two parts are shared with the C7 other than simple hardware.

Reactions: PoconoG

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Well, this pretty much solidifies my debate between manual and 8 speed auto for my 2015. Sorry to hear and see this.

Reactions: MYKZDRM

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Based on the extra thermal insulation I see under the console my guess is they "overlooked" the effect on the rubber boot. Hope there aren't other oversights like this in the car. They moved the exhaust between the torque tube and the tunnel plate didn't they?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
All the aftermarket shifters I've seen don't even have a boot. Is the shifter tower in a place where the elements can't get to it? In other words, isn't there a large foam rubber gasket around the whole area?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I installed the MGW short throw shifter a few weeks ago. The shifter has a boot. Also, the install package includes several pieces of insulation that attach to the torque tube and other areas in the tunnel. This shifter package is not cheap but it is well made and includes everything you need -- even a centering jig to perfectly align the neutral position.

I like the shorter throw pattern. It seems to fit my synchronization between clutch-shift-gas better than the stock shifter. This is just for normal everyday driving. I only have 1500 miles on the C7 and the stock boot showed no degradation.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All the aftermarket shifters I've seen don't even have a boot. Is the shifter tower in a place where the elements can't get to it? In other words, isn't there a large foam rubber gasket around the whole area?
The rubber boot is open to the elements. Specifically anything coming from underneath and around the torque tube. To make things worse the C7 has more exhaust heat in there to contend with. I hope they upgraded the torque tube couplers to handle the extra heat. This material obviously can't handle but several months.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The rubber boot is open to the elements. Specifically anything coming from underneath and around the torque tube. To make things worse the C7 has more exhaust heat in there to contend with. I hope they upgraded the torque tube couplers to handle the extra heat. This material obviously can't handle but several months.

Rick, you've got my rusty wheels turning.... Apparently the rubber material GM is using isn't up to the task. This obviously opens the door for an aftermarket company to develop a new product that will last and resolve the problem. The problem is when. I'm thinking perhaps the install of some heat resistant Kevlar material to simply stop any debris to enter the shift tower might work as a temporary fix. Give it some thought.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rick, you've got my rusty wheels turning.... Apparently the rubber material GM is using isn't up to the task. This obviously opens the door for an aftermarket company to develop a new product that will last and resolve the problem. The problem is when. I'm thinking perhaps the install of some heat resistant Kevlar material to simply stop any debris to enter the shift tower might work as a temporary fix. Give it some thought.
Yeah, it could use some improvement. Other than it being a joke I'm not going to worry about it. Don't want GM to have any reason to deny my factory warrantly on this car. On all previous cars I started modding away. Not going to do that on this one being a first year model.

If this is the worst thing that happens I'll be :D .

Reactions: tmcternan

·
Registered
307 Posts
obviously, this is the only defective part on the entire car--just your luck to find it. the good news is the rest of the vehicle is 100% solid. just ask GM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts