Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why a Corvette Stingray over a Camaro ZL1? :confused: I get asked that a lot at car shows and folks at work.

Having had the honor of owning a Camaro ZL1 and now a C7 Z51, it's a toss up as to which car is better cuz it all depends on what you're into.

Both are amazing and very capable machines. Both go from 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. Both have a top speed of 185+ mph right off the showroom floor. Both have great handling with the magnetic ride.

It boils down to this...

Do you like a 4200 lb brick with 580 hp that gets 19 mpg and looks pissed off just sitting there or a 3200 lb refined lazer with 460 hp that gets 30+ mpg and is elegant but deadly?

I LOVE both cars, but now only own a C7 Z51. IMO the C7 made my $61k ZL1 look and feel like a cheap, plastic toy.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Camaro's and as soon as I hit the lottery I'll have all kinds of them and Vettes in my stable.

Delilah.jpg

Ursula 6.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Why a Corvette Stingray over a Camaro ZL1? :confused: I get asked that a lot at car shows and folks at work.

Having had the honor of owning a Camaro ZL1 and now a C7 Z51, it's a toss up as to which car is better cuz it all depends on what you're into.

Both are amazing and very capable machines. Both go from 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. Both have a top speed of 185+ mph right off the showroom floor. Both have great handling with the magnetic ride.

It boils down to this...

Do you like a 4200 lb brick with 580 hp that gets 19 mpg and looks pissed off just sitting there or a 3200 lb refined lazer with 460 hp that gets 30+ mpg and is elegant but deadly?

I LOVE both cars, but now only own a C7 Z51. IMO the C7 made my $61k ZL1 look and feel like a cheap, plastic toy.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Camaro's and as soon as I hit the lottery I'll have all kinds of them and Vettes in my stable.

Raw numbers cannot explain the preference. It comes down to personal feelings. I fell in love with Corvettes when the first Sting Ray came out in 1963, and since then it is the only car I ever wanted. I finally realized my dream last year when I got my Night Race Blue with the 7-speed manual from Rick Conti, and the car amazes me every time I start it up. It is particularly pleasing to know that I have a world-class sports car bought at a price far below virtually any other and that it can run with the best of them. I can admire other sports cars, but I live without envy, because I have my C7.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I think it has something to do with how old you are and world experience! :cool:
You nailed it, and the two vehicles are tailored for different market segments and target groups. Camaro sales are "rock" solid, but it can never be the tech/performance flagship that the C7 is.

Still, "Movement is the universal language of personal freedom*", and both of these Chevys achieve that, with style.

* loius.jpg main-chevrolet-100-image_320x240.jpg

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I feel with GM's lineup they have nailed it for everybody, in all of their vehicle segments.

SF
Rick

Reactions: Z51Stingray

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
For years I drove first a BelAir then many Impala coupes and convertibles. The reason is we had two sons at home. We went able/sugar when they moved out and Corvettes solved the affliction. If we still had the need for 4 to ride it would be the Camaro which is the Impala, Super Sport that I remember. cutnout aka Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts