Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Georgia but I purchased my Stingray from a dealer out of state. I've noticed the first thing the service reps
from two different dealers ask me, "did you purchase your vehicle from us?". What difference does it make and why are
they asking this question? It's kind of intimidating....

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
That's really old school mentality.

Year's ago, dealers made all of their money from selling new cars. They had service departments because the manufacturer required them to. The sales department used to tell the customers, "If you don't buy it here, don't bring it here for service because we won't work on it!"

In today's world, there is very little profit in new car sales and no dealer can survive without a profitable service department. No well run dealer would turn away a service customer. They also shouldn't treat you any different since now service customers get satisfaction surveys just like you get when you but a car. If the service department doesn't maintain an acceptable level of Customer Satisfaction, it could cost the dealer thousands in General Motors bonus money. Not real smart!

Dave

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured they probably took care of the customers that purchased from them first, which I can understand that but if was anything else like warranty support it would be a shame.
This is my first brand new GM purchase and thought I'd see what other people thoughts were. I will probably delete this thread.
Thanks for the reply Dave

·
Registered
2014 C7 Z51
122 Posts
Great point Dave. My approach has been to find a good quality dealer with a good service reputation, use them as the Courtesy Delivery Dealer so the car gets into their database. If they treat you right, then continue to use them for periodic maintenance and repair services. It's a win-win in my eyes.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Agree with Dave, but with one caveat, many small stores have a finite amt of service loaners, they usually save them for their customers. Other dealers will backfill demand with enterprise/rental cars but not all. Just business.

If they are asking you because their gonna treat you diff, then they are just idiots....

Now I know this will inflame some but don't waive it in their face you bought it somewhere else, take off your plate frame from the other dealer. Lot kids may not be so enlightened.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Just search around for a different dealership's service department. Even if you have to go further, it can be well worth it. Also, how often do you have to go for service anyway? Not often. Driving 100 miles for great service twice a year should not be a big deal, in my opinion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bought my car at Kerbeck. Picked up at Museum. Serviced at my local dealer without any problems at all. It was a perfect situation from start to finish. I would find another dealer if I were u. As mentioned earlier, VERY old school! In fact, most dealerships are actually different divisions as far as the accountants are concerned. A local Chevrolet dealer here has a sign in front that says, "we will work on any car, any model, any brand".

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bought my car at Kerbeck. Picked up at Museum. Serviced at my local dealer without any problems at all. It was a perfect situation from start to finish. I would find another dealer if I were u. As mentioned earlier, VERY old school! In fact, most dealerships are actually different divisions as far as the accountants are concerned. A local Chevrolet dealer here has a sign in front that says, "we will work on any car, any model, any brand".
I like that!

I bought my Vette from Kerbeck and drove it back to Atlanta.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Bought from Kerbeck, picked her up at the museum, no trouble with local service.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,670 Posts
I was fortunate enough to purchase my C7 from a local dealer (timing was just right). Since the dealer is one of our club sponsors, all members (almost 200) are afforded a 10% discount on service work. Stopped by today to get my registration papers and the salesman had explained to me that they failed their "customer satisfaction survey" because I marked all my answers with "very satisfied" vs. "completely satisfied". So GM is that picky? There was a reason why I didn't mark completely satisfied, there were no discount incentives (military, USAA, etc.) offered even though they were available and mentioned, but..........

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Yeah, I know you did not mean it , but you screwed him, his fault, every salesman knows he should explain the system to the cust.....essentially, there is only one score he gets paid for- 100 pct, everything else is a fail....a lousy system but how the car mfr world works it....

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Wow, that is harsh!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I didn't answer my survey because I wasn't fully satisfied, but nothing could be done about changing the situation and I didn't want to screw the guy.

So what happens on a no answer?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know theres a few members here that don't agree with me however that's the fuss I put up with GM and told them when they called me
I cant understand why if your local dealer who goes out of there way to take care of you and who does have allocations (or even if they don't)
Why will they continue to accept dealer stock orders over sold orders
My car has a problem now which my dealer is more than happy to take care of
But the "volume" dealers are making the money knowing the biggest percentage they will never touch again
Most acted as doing me a favor just to talk to me at list price
Cost me more than a few thousand and yes my dealer does have unsold inventory now
Ok bombs away now but I said my say :)

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,670 Posts
I had to have the windshield replaced already by the same dealership, I'm glad I gave the service dept. survey a "completely satisfied". :)

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I didn't answer my survey because I wasn't fully satisfied, but nothing could be done about changing the situation and I didn't want to screw the guy.

So what happens on a no answer?
Nothing , no score does not affect sales guy...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ah, maybe because you do not look like them??????????????

Its just bad customer service.

·
18,670 Posts
Used to be a local Chevy dealer (four miles away). Nicest folks, but limited knowledge experience dealing with my C6 Z06.

Then went to the next closest dealership (2nd largest city in the state), and that was not acceptable (oil on door handle, on rear deck, etc.).

Now drive 38 miles each way to another small town dealership who has fantastic Corvette technician. Will be very pleased to have that dealership, with that Technician, service my 2015 Z06. In fact, even though they sell new Corvettes, they agreed to do a courtesy delivery for me (because they know they can not get me a 2015 Z, and because not only do they do all my Corvette service work, but because I have recommended, and now they have my friends take their Corvettes there for service). Regarding the upcoming PDI, they put it in writing that only my Corvette Technician will drive the car and that he will do the PDI.

Wish we didn't have to shop Chevy dealerships, but many of us do. The Z06 will be the second biggest purchase in our lives, and well worth a longer drive to get great service.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Used to be a local Chevy dealer (four miles away). Nicest folks, but limited knowledge experience dealing with my C6 Z06.

Then went to the next closest dealership (2nd largest city in the state), and that was not acceptable (oil on door handle, on rear deck, etc.).

Now drive 38 miles each way to another small town dealership who has fantastic Corvette technician. Will be very pleased to have that dealership, with that Technician, service my 2015 Z06. In fact, even though they sell new Corvettes, they agreed to do a courtesy delivery for me (because they know they can not get me a 2015 Z, and because not only do they do all my Corvette service work, but because I have recommended, and now they have my friends take their Corvettes there for service). Regarding the upcoming PDI, they put it in writing that only my Corvette Technician will drive the car and that he will do the PDI.

Wish we didn't have to shop Chevy dealerships, but many of us do. The Z06 will be the second biggest purchase in our lives, and well worth a longer drive to get great service.

If you finance, make sure you get GAP insurance! :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts