Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The less honorable dealers promise that they can get you a StingRay. And that means as much as my promising you that I have mailed you a winning lottery ticket, UNLESS your dealer has allocation. It is important to remember that every Chevy dealer, even one who has not sold a Corvette in years, can punch in a computer order, get you a six digit order code starting with an "R" and that can mean less than a "my check is in the mail" statement. Here's a letter one of our StingRay forum members got yesterday.

Dear Mr. Xxxxxxx,

"Thank you for contacting Chevrolet regarding your 2014 Corvette Stingray order. We apologize for the delay in our response. Your dealer has configured and requested a Corvette Stingray with your specifications. Until your dealership is granted allocation, and your options and features are available to produce the order, it will remain in the dealership’s order bank.

Only when your dealership has allocation, and the options and features in your configuration are available, will the vehicle be scheduled for production.

We appreciate your patience and recognize the high amount of anticipation for the 2014 Corvette Stingray.

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet!

Sincerely,

The Chevrolet Marketing Team
http://www.chevrolet.com"
This member is now pursuing promising options with dealers that have allocation and outstanding reputations. His experience is why, before placing your order, please research whether the dealer you will be working with has an excellent reputation and has allocation for what you want (coupe and convertible are two distinct allocations). Find out from your dealer, how many allocations he/she has right now and where you order will be compared to all other orders he will be placing. What you need is to get specific information, such as, "you are number three priority of my 14 coupe allocations I currently have." Note also please, that the number of allocations a dealer has is spread over time, for in the above example, ascertain whether these 14 allocations are over the next two weeks, four months, etc. Finally, before selecting your options, find out whether any option you are considering are on constraint, for it they are, that could well, and often does, hold up your delivery. This forum is an excellent place to ask any/all questions before you walk into your dealership ready to actually place your order. Your StingRay forum friends are here to help!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Harsh reality that there are some not so honest dealers out there. What a shame. Consumer will eventually find out and theyre just hurting themselves in the long run.

Reactions: idahopilgrim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Grimm or naive?

Is it relly that grimm? I placed an order on 9/21, entered into the system (1100) and accepted by GM (2051 Retail Sold Order) on 9/24. My dealer had an initial allocation of 3, I am #6 on the list, and they expect additional allocations in December. Am I being naive? Kelly, our patron GM representative said I am at the beginning of the process, but not to worry.

Comments?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Has anyone heard if there are additional allocations coming for 2014?

·
Registered
463 Posts
How do you get a dealership to prove allocation and the date of their allocation? Btw I'm Canadian, and believe I may have been misguided.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is really positive that just days after your dealer placed your order, GM accepted it. I have noticed, the last two days, that some of the largest dealers have gotten their next allocation amounts. Don't know if second tier dealers have gotten their additional allocations yet.

I would re-visit your dealer and ask at least the questions below. Note that allocations are totally different and not transferable between coupes and convertibles, so ask about your questions referring specifically to the dealer's allocation for specific type of vehicle you have ordered:
1) How many C7's have you already delivered (for even medium sized dealerships have already delivered at least one)?
2) How many allocations do you have in process, and if you just got additional ones, when do you expect those new allocations to be activated)?
3) Where am I now on your priority list (as each dealer can choose which orders they move forward (or backward) --perhaps based on the fact that you are a customer that has bought from them before, or conversely one who has never bought from them)?

Finally, next question ask yourself: Did I specify options on constraint and, if so, am I willing to compromise on any of those that are on constraint. As an example, some members of our forum placed their orders in late September, orders which had constrained options such as the Z-51 package and/or the exposed CF roof, yet they choose to compromise on those constrained options. At least two individuals who did this (removed the constrained options), will get their cars in a six-to-eight week timeframe from initial order placement.

From the answers your dealer gives you, you have more facts to help you decide whether you want to stay with this dealer, or to start over, now 11/2 months later, with a new dealer. Hopefully what you will have learned, will be reassuring to you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know the dealer I have gone through, Hendricks Motorsports, did receive additional allocations and he does have some available. Last time I spoke to them there were 4 convertibles and unknown quanity of coupes available. When I spoke with my rep last week he was telling me about the drop shipments they have made to Vagas and LA.
If interested his name is Milos Sainovic. office 919-388-4132 cell 919757-3501.
He did tell me that due to some delivery problems with the a couple of customers. they were considering making the deposit non-refundible on drop shipments. The price is MSRP.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John...we need to take all your great answers on this, compile them and sticky them.....
Thanks, but they are not just mine, but others' inputs also. Been debating this for days, but as they all have been posted before, they would all be "dups." However, as they are often in different threads and we are gratefully getting so many new members to this forum (membership up 30% in the last month), those two factors would speak to putting all the "pre-ordering cautions" (mine and others') all together in a thread entitled "STOP: Before You Order"

Thoughts?

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you get a dealership to prove allocation and the date of their allocation? Btw I'm Canadian, and believe I may have been misguided.
That a darn good question, and I don't we will ever get definitive proof. We have to check secondary and tertiary info, .e,g., checking the amount of last year's Corvette sales is a start, as if they have already received any this year. Most local Corvette clubs have members who are aware of such info, so a call to their President would be a place to get those answers. In my area, there are two Corvettes clubs and long before the first orders were entered into GM in early May, many members of both clubs knew about how Corvettes had been sold by many dealers, not just locally but by many of the Corvette dealers in our small state. We talked and figured out which dealers to order from who had allocation, who would charge way over list, who would treat you fair, etc.

And then, if you are ordering locally, there's the best way, to use that knowledge you have researched already, sit down and see if the person you are talking to will look you in your eye and tell you things you pretty much know to be true, or, conversely tell you total bs.

Finally, in the current world of shipped cars, and flying somewhere to pick one up and have a fantastic road trip home, Museum Delivery, courtesy delivery, etc., you can ask, especially via a PM, other members of this forum whom they would order from, whom do they know has allocation, has integrity, etc.

·
Registered
463 Posts
That a darn good question, and I don't we will ever get definitive proof. We have to check secondary and tertiary info, .e,g., checking the amount of last year's Corvette sales is a start, as if they have already received any this year. Most local Corvette clubs have members who are aware of such info, so a call to their President would be a place to get those answers. In my area, there are two Corvettes clubs and long before the first orders were entered into GM in early May, many members of both clubs knew about how Corvettes had been sold by many dealers, not just locally but by many of the Corvette dealers in our small state. We talked and figured out which dealers to order from who had allocation, who would charge way over list, who would treat you fair, etc.

And then, if you are ordering locally, there's the best way, to use that knowledge you have researched already, sit down and see if the person you are talking to will look you in your eye and tell you things you pretty much know to be true, or, conversely tell you total bs.

Finally, in the current world of shipped cars, and flying somewhere to pick one up and have a fantastic road trip home, Museum Delivery, courtesy delivery, etc., you can ask, especially via a PM, other members of this forum whom they would order from, whom do they know has allocation, has integrity, etc.
My god. I may be way too lazy for that, especially without a clear answer in the end. What's the longest it could possibly take if I ordered end of August in Canada? Couldn't be longer than spring could it?

P.S. If someone is looking at you in the eye more than usual, they're probably lying! But I catch your drift. Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think A "Stop before you order" thread is a great idea. All of the previous post info can be compiled for anyone that has not ordered yet. It will save time and grief for many.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Zimm888, where did you order from? I ordered from Wilson Niblett on Aug 6 and still am at 1100 preliminary order accepted, priority 1. I ordered a vert so I thinking spring delivery which is OK because I didn't order the "snow tire option"..LOL

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just got the call from my salesman to tell me I went to code 2000 as of yesterday..
Are you serious, good for you. What's 2000 again? I'm a few weeks after you maybe I'll get lucky and hear something in a month. Niblett seems to know what they're doing vs city.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ordering Pitfalls

I would second this post.

I spoke with maybe a dozen east coast dealerships before I ordered, and at that time the allocation process was obscure for me. I had dealers without allocations try to sell me a car anyway. When I asked them questions about allocations these dealers ducked my questions. One tried to sell me a 2015 Corvette for a September 2014 delivery. If a dealer has available allocations, they will say so up front, and will provide their allocation history if asked. Then again, who is to say they are telling truth???

Here's why dealer integrity is so important. A dealer can get you a six digit order number from GM even though he has no allocations (which means he will have no ability to order your car at that time). He can sell your (legitimate!) allocation with a legitimate GM order number to someone else before the vehicle you ordered is actually scheduled for production, because until about that time, he can revise your allocation to suit an out of sequence customer, and give away your vehicle. Until you have the VIN in your hands, you are vulnerable for the funny stuff, so the completion of your order is dependent on your dealer's integrity.

In 40 years of buying new cars, I never trusted what my dealers would tell me, which could be almost anything that they thought I wanted to hear, or to sell or up-sell me. My Hendrick Chevrolet experience was 100% different.

I ordered from Hendrick Chevrolet, Cary, NC, even though it was almost 1000 miles from where I live (18 hours by bus) and all the dealing was by phone. I dealt with Brian Ciencen and Milos Sainovic (office 919-388-4132 cell 919-757-3501) and I came to trust both of these men. Why? I really can't tell you, but it was instinctive, for me. I have never found a dealership and sales team I trusted, until this experience. I knew I could not trust my local dealer after visiting the showroom.

I wanted the smaller 19"/18" base coupe wheels on my Z51, and Hendrick didn't glitch when I brought it up. No other dealership responded positively to that request. Some said it was not possible. Some said it would upset the car's electronics, and none would do it, but Hendrick handled it for me - simply and easily, at the dealership.

Everything they told me during the ordering process and the 3 1/2 month wait for delivery was right on and straight forward. When my car arrived at the dealership they send me a photo by e-mail. I thought they were joking when the photo was of a red car when I had ordered a white car. When this came to light, there was no blaming, no hassle, no delay, and right off, they simply took my word for this. Mr. Sainovic said, right up front, very quickly, "We're going to fix this. We are going to order you another car, and you can have the red one in the meantime. We'll take back the red one when your white one comes in, at no cost to you. Our owner will not let us fix a mistake with a patch job. He wants things done right here. It's our mistake and we will fix it". For me, this was absolutely amazing!

I would guess that the volume Corvette dealers you find on the Internet and in the Stingray forums are generally reputable. Local car clubs may know of a dealer's reputation. Then, there's always the Better Business Bureau. If you find you have made an error in your choice of a dealership, you can always order through another dealer then cancel the original order. A dealer selling a new Stingray on the showroom floor at over sticker price is to be avoided, in my opinion. I wouldn't leave an order stand for long without somehow checking out that dealer.

Read the forums with comments about ordering and waiting. There you will find information about four digit GM production codes and time lines. Production codes are the bottom line about how your build is progressing. I ordered my car on October 21, 2013, and it arrived at the dealership on February 6. I found out my Target Production Week about December 18, 2013. My TPW was January 20, 2014, five weeks later. I received my VIN on January 22, 2014. The time line may shorten as Spring progresses, and it may not. Z51 and carbon fiber parts may be "on constraint", which is legitimate. When you get your car depends on that dealer's available, unsold allocations - and his integrity.

GM has a website with some basic information, but it is almost useless: Chevy Order Tracking | Track Your Order | Chevrolet . The information is limited and can be inaccurate. Information from GM Assistance reps can be unreliable, and with me, several were dishonest and unhelpful at times when I asked them for my current four digit production code.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I think A "Stop before you order" thread is a great idea. All of the previous post info can be compiled for anyone that has not ordered yet. It will save time and grief for many.
It's already there, but it's amazing how many people ignore all that info and keep asking the same questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: elegant and glen e

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's (our forum thread with critical BEFORE you order info) is already there, but it's amazing how many people ignore all that info and keep asking the same questions.
Fdxpilot: Thank you!!! If others haven't found it, here it is:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...ordering-c7-corvette-thread-will-helpful.html

And it's equally critical companion thread:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...urgent-order-delivery-useful-information.html

Starting with PM's, been working with a fellow forum member who started out at a dealership with no allocation, wanting his first Corvette. Long story and a dead-end later, he contacted me, and I recommended our forum's dealership supporting vendor, MacMulkin (#2 in the nation with over 1,000 StingRay allocations), and our fellow forum member, just last night, bought his non Z-51 from Tommy [email protected] MacMulkin for $3,000 under MSRP, so even with shipping to the diagonally opposite corner of our country, will be ahead.

If only every dealership without allocation, had to have a 6' x 20', flashing purple and pink neon sign saying, "NO ALLOCATION: Leave your deposit money here, for we can't deliver anything to you but heartache!"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts