Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Of all the issues with the C7 (and most are minor) the one that concerns me most is the lack of Blind Spot Detection mirrors. The side/rear view on the C7 is horrendous but that is due to the sleek beautiful design that we all admire. No amount of mirror adjustment or even head swiveling can seem to provide safety against side-swiping crashes. I narrowly missed one yesterday when attempting a lane change in my 2014. Why couldn’t GM have installed this? Are any retro fixes available? I sure hope it will be on the new C8.

·
Administrator
15,015 Posts
I have not had any issues, with my mirrors adjusted just beyond the sides of RedHot. I practice defensive driving by identifying the cars approaching from behind in my center mirror and continue to track to the side mirrors. There are a number of discussions on best way to set the mirrors, here is one https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/general-discussion/3334-after-market-blind-spot-detector-2.html#post175037 and the entire thread beginning at https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/general-discussion/3334-after-market-blind-spot-detector-5.html#post33659.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have never seen this as a problem. With good defensive driving techniques, I have never had a close call caused by any side mirror limitations.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Of all the issues with the C7 (and most are minor) the one that concerns me most is the lack of Blind Spot Detection mirrors. The side/rear view on the C7 is horrendous but that is due to the sleek beautiful design that we all admire. No amount of mirror adjustment or even head swiveling can seem to provide safety against side-swiping crashes. I narrowly missed one yesterday when attempting a lane change in my 2014. Why couldn’t GM have installed this? Are any retro fixes available? I sure hope it will be on the new C8.
Agree there are rear visibility issues in a C7, my Grand Sport with it's Stage 2 Aero rear spoiler side extensions is worse and I would NOT drive a Vert with the top up without a minimum of some "Blind Spot Mirrors!"

Don't think the Blind Sport Detection in the Wife's 5X BMW solves the whole problem NOR does "Setting the Mirrors PROPERLY!" I'll explain as does the pic below ONLY if you read the right side! It's much more than setting the mirrors by putting your head on the window, etc etc!

First, that pic below (without my modifications) comes from a 1985 SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Technical paper on defensive driving. The authors talk about setting your mirrors so you can't see your car etc! BUT that is only a part of what they say must be done. Read the right side of the pic that took a page to describe in there many page paper. You must not only see cars currently on the back of your bumpers BUT must also follow the AH who is barreling down the lane on your left much faster than you! They will soon be in your "blind spot" when you make the move!

Even worse is the real AH who is doing that in the lane to your right using cars to block their exposure to radar and weaving in and out! On the right, the convex mirror is a help as it allows you to see further back. In fact someone is now selling a left hand stick on "full convex" sas they use in Europe! The 1920 US laws don't allow OEM's to use that!

I never added blind spot mirrors on my 1988, 1993 or 2008 Vette coupes since they had reasonably good visibility out the rear. But as soon as I got my September 2013 built C7 coupe I knew I needed something. In ~60 years of driving I have never had an accident with another car. I attribute that to knowing where all cars are around me (and LUCK- looking for wood!) It has become second nature for me to subconsciously look at all mirrors all the time. With the C7 was not confident I was following a car from my interior mirror to my left! The small blind spot mirror I added to my 2014 and now my Grand Sport provides that confidence.

Easy to say turn your head and I do when there is time BUT several times I have had to make a quick decision to change lanes to avoid a large 18 wheeler tire tread for one. I was confident there was no car in the left and made that lane switch quickly.

Just Sayn'

Blind Spot Needed.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
I disagree that proper side mirror adjustment doesn’t help. If they are set up correctly, and the rear view mirror, too, a car approaching from the rear will be visible in a side mirror when it leaves the rear view mirror coverage. Situational awareness of traffic is most important, particularly with motorcycles around you. The danger of getting sideswiped by a car you are passing can be reduced by speeding up as you pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
836 Posts
Agree with setting the mirrors wide so that the car passing you on either side is always visible in at least one mirror at any time. But that doesn't solve the problem completely. A driver has to actually look in each mirror before changing lanes. --Bob

06cd223f6b942dc74d85c93f07b0396c.jpg

·
Registered
364 Posts
The hidden hardware that make blind spot detection work are housed in the rear quarter panels. With the C7, it was not possible to add this hardware once the transmission cooler and differential cooler were located.

I tend to ignore the alarms in my wife's SUV, since they also alert me to guard rails along the side of the road. I find the feature sometimes useful but never foolproof.

In my experience driving the Corvette, if anyone does catch up with me, they usually make it a point to let me know it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’ve not had any issues.
The proper setup...you adjust the side mirrors outward so that when objects disappear from the inside rear mirror, it’s picked up on the side mirrors, and once it disappears from the side mirrors, you should be able to see it directly next to you.
If you can see your rear quarter panel on your side mirrors, it’s not set up properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,015 Posts
Unfortunately, without automated blind-spot detection, it requires continuous diligence to ensure you know who is coming up behind you at all times. From a defensive driving perspective, if someone ends up 'surprising' you by being on your side in a blind spot, it should be a warning to you that you are not paying close enough attention. As others have commented, it is possible to set up our C7 mirrors so that you can absolutely see a car approaching in your interior rear view mirror, and continue to track that car as it disappears from the interior mirror view to your respective side mirror.

I came up with a 'mind game' that helps ensure I monitor all vehicles coming up behind me. For example, in my 3 mirror (2 sides and interior) scan, I, at a minimum note 'red truck' in right lane closing fast, 'blue car' behind me, 'black' sports car closing from left lane, etc. I replace the respective car, truck or cycle with the next one in line once it appears in the side mirror. On the highway, I try to enhance the game by naming the manufacture and model (if I know it).

While this sounds like a lot to do, once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature and at least in my experience, totally eliminates the "where did that idiot come from" response to an unanticipated vehicle on my side. :eek:nthego:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
O
.....As others have commented, it is possible to set up our C7 mirrors so that you can absolutely see a car approaching in your interior rear view mirror, and continue to track that car as it disappears from the interior mirror view to your respective side mirror.

.... On the highway, I try to enhance the game by naming the manufacture and model (if I know it).
I agree with your idea of looking in the center mirror identifying cars so it becomes automatic. That is what the 1985 SAE technical paper that defined “how to set mirrors” said MUST be done in addition to identify cars that will soon be on your fender! Never had Blind Spot mirrors on my 1988 Vette, 1993 Vette or my 2008 Vette because they have reasonably good views of the rear. The C7 does not. My current Grand Sport with Stage 2 Aero side spoiler extensions limits the already poor rear view further. Nor as bad as a Vert with the top up however!

Had to run into town for the wife yesterday (a 20 mile trip on 3 lane I95, that I usually avoid and take rural back roads.) Was in the center lane and had a few folks passing my 75 mph cruise control set speed in the left lane going at least 90! Looking at my “properly adjusted” left main mirror I could see perhaps 100 feet behind my fender. In my small blind spot mirror probably 100 yards or more. That is about when they left my narrowed rear view as that left rear spoiler extension blocks a clear view. Even without those extensions on my 2014 Z51 the rear view was not sufficient to feel the confidence I am used to!

Sure, when there is time I turn my head to be positive, although a look in all mirrors allows me to confidently make a lane change without turning. There are times when there is no time to turn and my always looking in all mirrors has to be sufficient! That and LUCK have kept me accident free for 60 years of driving! However with today’s distracted drivers it is difficult!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't agree with you more Queasyrider. This is an excellent safety feature for all of us who drive on a freeway in all the big cities. Once it saves you in another car you will be an immediate convert just like me. Another wonderful safety measure is adaptive cruise control. I know we don't need it everyday but it sure would come in handy on a long trip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all the positive comments and suggestions. Yet it comes back to the need for constant attention to positioning relative to other vehicles, constant situational awareness and scanning all mirrors constantly. Now these are all good driving habits but in high traffic metropolitan areas and with constant distracted drivers cutting you off, it can be exhausting! A simpler fix would be BSD if only as a driver’s aid and safety device. I certainly hope the new C8 with even less visibility comes with it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would bet your side view mirror is set so it just duplicates your rear view. Most people adjust it so it shows the side of the car which makes it useless. Adjust it out so the right edge of the rear view slightly overlaps with the left edge of the side view and there will be no more “blind spot.” Turning your head around is not necessary or a good idea when you are going forward.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I spoke to a local company that I have used in the past to add LIDAR to an M3 I had and they said they could add blind spot detection to my C7 for around $800 however it would involve taking the rear bumper cover off. The blind spot light would have been installed in the A pillars in a spot of my choosing. It was also small and dark when not active but bright when a car was in your blind spot.

I agree that it should have been an option for the C7 as well as cross traffic alert. Hopefully the C8 will have these options. Also hopefully the C8 will not be as ugly as the renderings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is standard safety equipment on almost every chevy car except the corvette. When I asked at Ron Fellows they said it detracted from the drive. I laughed at the instructor. So having a safety feature detracts from the driving experience. Why can't chevy admit it that it was an oversight and a huge one at that. I have people riding in my blind spots because they're busy looking at the car. People today don't have the driving abilities because they're distracted with everything else in the car the phone, kids, women and their makeup....basically this is something that should be put on the C8 because looking at the spy photos the blind spots have gotten worse. I'm looking for fish eyes that I can add to my mirrors. Suggestions and I looked at sandyeggodesigns and that changes the entire mirror...not what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a rear view mirror camera. It is also a front mirror dashcam. As you can see from my side mirror I can barely see the blue car. But my rear view camera mirror the blue car is shown on my blind spot. Also this records everything both front camera and rear camera.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts