Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
15,019 Posts
I bought a rear view mirror camera. It is also a front mirror dashcam. As you can see from my side mirror I can barely see the blue car. But my rear view camera mirror the blue car is shown on my blind spot. Also this records everything both front camera and rear camera.
Looks like a viable system. However, if that right side mirror view in your post is what you see from the driver seat, the mirror is set too close in to the side of the C7 to effectively eliminate your blind spot.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I appreciate all the positive comments and suggestions. Yet it comes back to the need for constant attention to positioning relative to other vehicles, constant situational awareness and scanning all mirrors constantly. Now these are all good driving habits but in high traffic metropolitan areas and with constant distracted drivers cutting you off, it can be exhausting! A simpler fix would be BSD if only as a driver’s aid and safety device. I certainly hope the new C8 with even less visibility comes with it!
Well stated Jerry U !
Thanks. Drove 5 hours yesterday using I 95 and 26 to go to and back from Charleston SC in the wife's BMW 5X SUV. Decided to see if my concerns re "Blind Sport Detection" not being as good as a convex mirror. The 5X has great visibility out the rear and you can see cars from well back. There is a large orange light "on the side of the mirror" when it detects a car close to your rear bumpers. But in the side mirror "properly adjusted" cannot see them very far back. The Blind Spot Detection pics a car up ~50 feet from the rear fenders. The right mirror is much better.

Had an interesting occurrence on I26, one of the worse highways to drive as there are many trucks, some driving fast to get their "container" to the Charleston Port. It was Sunday so few trucks. Soon after getting on I26 from I95 in a 70 mph limit section I had little traffic in front and a "pack" coming up the rear. There was a Trooper in the center area hidden mostly by trees. Saw his white front fender sticking out. The inexpensive radar detector I had stuck on the windshield made a loud unusual sound and saw the laser flashing. No issue for me I had cruise control set at 76 mph. After I passed he pulled out in front of the "pack" behind. The gap between us got large, he must have been traveling 70!

I saw the gap getting larger then all of a sudden a few cars were getting closer. Trooper no doubt went back in the center treed area divider to "get a speeder!" One car was barreling up behind. Could see him in my center mirror but when he passed, IMO well over 90 mph, as I was still on cruise control at 76, the "Blind Spot Detector" barley went off and he passed my window in a flash! Still think the best solution is the convex s a left side mirror that they use in Europe
(in addition to electronic solutions!)
It's only the US laws, which congress has tried to change for years, that prevent it. But like everything else they do nothing or it gets put in with some totally unrelated "Pork Barrel" bridge to nowhere law and gets turned down!

Now with the capability for cameras and computers, no reason they could not detect further back AND calculate the approaching speed. Then display signals in HUD which change colors as cars get closer. If they detect a car closing very fast a simple signal across HUD saying "AH on Left" would also be nice! :wink:

I'll keep doing my best to know where all cars are around me all the time!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
This is a possible solution. An inexpensive stick on mirror that has a 'somewhat convex" mirror with a more convex on the ouuter edge. Have to see some posts on effectiveness.

onvex Mirror.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am very interested to see what folks think of this mirror from sandyagodesign. As I posted earlier, if it really works, it's an inexpensive fix....

Moderated: PLEASE NOTE, they are not a forum sponsor, you are not permitted to include url address as noted earlier. Thank you for complying with our posting rules.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am very interested to see what folks think of this mirror from sandyagodesign. As I posted earlier, if it really works, it's an inexpensive fix....

Moderated: PLEASE NOTE, they are not a forum sponsor, you are not permitted to include url address as noted earlier. Thank you for complying with our posting rules.
I purchased one recently and it does work well. It is only for the drivers side however. They need to make one for the passenger side.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts