Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the z51 package with 19" fronts and 20" rears, but would like to switch to the OEM (or equivalent) 18" front and 19" rears for winter.

Does anyone know if the 18/19" wheels will work? I'd assume the only potential issue would be the 1" larger brakes on the z51 package.

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
Welcome to our forum boarderman23! I recall this being discussed elsewhere on our forum and discouraged. While you might be able to physically get the smaller wheels on, the clearance to brakes etc would be too close, easily becoming a problem if you picked up a pebble in the wheel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just test fit a set . The fronts were very close to the calipers, about 1/4 inch clearance. Those were OEM 18" over a Z51 caliper. hope this helps

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
I just test fit a set . The fronts were very close to the calipers, about 1/4 inch clearance. Those were OEM 18" over a Z51 caliper. hope this helps
thanks. that is too close for comfort and safety.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Ben at Weapon X Motorsports sells a set of 18x10 for the Z51 for the track. If you went square, you could rotate your tire easily.
[email protected]

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
Ben at Weapon X Motorsports sells a set of 18x10 for the Z51 for the track. If you went square, you could rotate your tire easily.
[email protected]
Please help those of use who don't know what your mean by "If you went square".

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Square, all tires the same size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thank you for all the quick replies and help!

Sounds like I better not go 18/19 for winter.

Any thoughts if I should just stick with 19/20 (still plan to get a dedicated set) or go 19/19, since I believe the z51 adds larger front brakes only. I assume at that point it doesn't really matter for winter driving between those sizes though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
photo.JPG
I have the z51 package with 19" fronts and 20" rears, but would like to switch to the OEM (or equivalent) 18" front and 19" rears for winter.

Does anyone know if the 18/19" wheels will work? I'd assume the only potential issue would be the 1" larger brakes on the z51 package.
This isn't the greatest of pics but you can get an idea of how close the fit is. Hope this helps ,,,cheers Chris

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have not yet ordered a car. (I am in the process of completing some moves that will allow an all cash purchase). However, being in Vermont, and wanting a Z51, I have researched the all season or winter tire situation.

I have found that I can buy a set of Cray Brickyards in z51 19/20 inch sizes from an area tire and wheel chain for $1429. For tires in original z51 sizes, you can go with Michelin all seasons, Continental ultra high performance ExtremeContact DWS tires, or for true snow tires, Michelin Alpin A4 tires. I am now leaning toward the Continentals, because I doubt I will be driving the car in deep snow, and among the ultra high performance all season tires, the tirerack.com surveys rated the snow performance high, with little compromise in other areas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts