Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is way premature, but I'm wondering if any of the dealers who read this are planning on making the delivery of a new C7 a special event (other than smiling when we hand over the check)...I hope so. I know just driving away in a C7 will be epic, but I'd hope that the dealers will seize the opportunity to build relationships by doing something a bit out of the ordinary.

Does anyone have any insight or other thoughts?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Coming around the corner in your car doing 45 in a full controlled drift, and then stopping in front of you only to roast the tires looking you directly in the eye!

Is that kind of what you are thinking? If so, I will volunteer to deliver your car! ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hey airdale. That's a great question and even better suggestion. I have one on order since 7/5. As an ex-dealership guy with Nissan, I can only say that I hope so. My role at the dealership was designated GT-R rep, among other things. When the GT-R was first deliverable, our dealership did make a big deal out of it. We delivered the car in the showroom with red velvet ropes around the car with enough room to enable a solid walkaround before going to the interior for the electronics schooling. The GM was always on hand as well as service manager and the technician who would follow that car and that customer. We took photos which were subsequently sent to the owner and always featured GT-R sales in the corporate newsletter. If you're familiar with the GT-R, you know that this was Nissan's first entry into consumer supercars and a very special vehicle. More to the point...since this is the 7th gen of the Vette, I have the distinct feeling that our ownership and delivery will be a lot more special to us than to the dealer. Of course, that may have something to do with a specific dealers allocation. My GM dealership has an allocation of 60, I believe. The first couple may be special but I'm guessing that the enthusiasm at the dealership will wane. The first delivery at my dealership will be to a performance company who will clearly experiment, modify, and publish accordingly. That should tell the story.

PS I just got a return call from my sales rep regarding status of my order. (He said nobody knows nuttin'...not the answer I was looking for.) I asked about any special plans for a C7 delivery and he had no clue what I meant. I could almost envision him looking at the phone like I had three heads. So...your answer based on my dealership is 'strong doubt it.' Maybe, if you're working with a smaller dealership, they will wisely make it special for PR purposes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, if the attention or more lack thereof that the Jacksonville dealers gave the C7 introduction is any indication I guess getting a new C7 will be on par with picking up a new (plain vanilla car type here...) I just don't understand the factory's lack of direction. I heard early on that the dealers were going to have to send their sales guys for "special C7 training." Well they also need to send them for special C7 delivery/customer experience training. This type of thing only happens every 8-10 years. You'd think after spending hundreds of millions on developing the car, the heads at Chevy would want to complete the project and make taking delivery a truly memorable experience. Plus, it would make priceless PR...

Who knows maybe someone in Corvette marketing will wake up and put together a plan. Heck, if they want help, just drop me a line. I've been helping airplane companies with this type thing for years.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know my dealership will be psyched up...I'm no 3 on the list and they have already scheduled a C7 coming out party but it was scheduled too early....so I think another one will be scheduled when they are sure the vehicles will be there...Tim Lally Chevrolet in Cleveland

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Sorry Chevy dealers are not known for doing anything special for most of them it's just another car and another deal. Look at the Camaro they handed you your car manual in a plastic bag, come on not even a fake leather pouch? Want it special you'll have to do a Museum delivery.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
When I spoke with the sales manager of a local Chevy dealer he told me he hoped to sell a lot of "units" and that all the BUZZ about this car will help him sell more units. I said "come on now" he just said that while he loved the C-7 "they are just hardware in his world that is his job to sell". I don't think his view is much different than most dealers across the country. That's what they do! If you want more than that you probably need to pick yours up in Bowling Green. It will be costly, but you will never forget that experience!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have you considered taking a Musrum Dilivery. That is supposed to be memorable event. I just asked my sales rep how late I could wait to decide. He told me up to scheduling the production. It's $900 plus expences.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hey airdale from JAX. You're about 100 miles away from me but I hear you and echo your sentiments as if you were next door. The frustration factor, prompted by lack of factory info and direction, is getting to me. Today's chat with the dealership was very disappointing. They gave me the same story about QC processes as they did on the day I ordered. The dead silence from GM is deafening. Can't help but wonder if there having problems that they want to keep from both customers and dealers.

You are correct about selected dealer folks going for training. The training is either next week or the week after, as I recall. My dealer is sending two people... a long-standing "Vette salesman" who has about 15 C7s in the pipe and a member of management (a boondoggle, no doubt). My salesman is not going and I wonder how he's going to deliver the car with anything more than the handshake. I drove a C6 before ordering the 7 and my salesman, whom I like personally, knew very little about that car! I'm hoping that the guy who has a long list of loyal vette customers will assist. Maybe I'll suggest that my sales guy throw him a $100 for an hours' work. Just hope it's not at Christmas!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts