Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been hearing wind noise at highway speeds (45mph- up) over my left shoulder. Not sure exactly where it's coming from.

The best way I can describe it is the sound when a window isn't completely shut. You know- when it cracked ever so slightly. However I know my window(s) are fully up, I even inspected the weather seals around the doors and they all look fine.

I'm at a loss. Anyone else hear similar wind noise?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I have the same sound and I'm pretty sure every coupe does, some just may not notice it or accept it as normal. I believe it's due to the way the seals converge in that area and the deep recess the window sits it. It's packing air into that corner and causing the sound. I have no idea if it's "fixable".

·
Registered
307 Posts
Is it a light vibration/rattling sound? I noticed it on my drive up to Columbia, SC this morning to have XPEL placed on the car. I was planning on having my service department examine the car.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Is it a light vibration/rattling sound? I noticed it on my drive up to Columbia, SC this morning to have XPEL placed on the car. I was planning on having my service department examine the car.
No, it sounds like the window is slightly cracked open. A rattle would indicate the rear roof latch needs to be adjusted, simple procedure.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Perfect appreciate the advice. Honestly I only have a small list of issues after a week of ownership that can all be fixed by my local dealer. Thrilled with the car overall despite minor issues.

Reactions: U.S. Marine

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my Stingray last week and have noticed the same thing. Should we have the dealerships fix this? What are you going to do?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Been hearing wind noise at highway speeds (45mph- up) over my left shoulder. Not sure exactly where it's coming from.

The best way I can describe it is the sound when a window isn't completely shut. You know- when it cracked ever so slightly. However I know my window(s) are fully up, I even inspected the weather seals around the doors and they all look fine.

I'm at a loss. Anyone else hear similar wind noise?
I've noticed the same thing but after a couple months of driving, I rarely notice it anymore - especially if the radio is on even at a relatively low level.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Has anyone checked the areas around the small quarter window just behind the driver's head?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I noticed something similar driving home from the dealer on the interstate @ 75 MPH, but it was from the right side. At first I thought it was tire howl from the pavement, but listening closer, it was more like wind noise. Since it's a non-Z51 and the sound was on the right side only, I thought maybe air was packing the faux right side vent, and not coming from the left since that vent is functional. I sped up a few MPH to change the air pressure and it went away, slowed back down and it didn't return, but I have since heard it again once more on the interstate around 75 MPH, and again slightly changing speeds made it go away. Since others are hearing it with the Z's functional vents, the window packing air makes sense. I only have 125 MPH on the car with mostly the radio off so I could here the engine and NPP purr. I have a feeling, like phinman said, once I settle in and enjoy the Bose system, I probably won't even notice it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is pretty consistent- if I speed up it'll likely just get louder. It's not terrible just more noticeable than on a C6 where every interior surface inside is making noise. lol. The C7 is like a tomb in comparison- thus the reason I probably hear the wind in the first place.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Maybe it's a Z51 thing due to the functional vents? I have listened very closely to mine and I can't hear anything, but mines a base, so maybe that's why.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I just got my Stingray last week and have noticed the same thing. Should we have the dealerships fix this? What are you going to do?
Jmc8176, welcome aboard and congrats on your new C7 masterpiece!! Post some pictures when you get a chance. I haven't noticed any wind noise while wheeling my C7 around.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you have taken the top off your car recently, make sure that the seals on both sides behind the top where it slides back into the grooves are flush. Sometimes when you put the top back on it pinches the rubber seals an d that is all it takes-air will come in the caR and drive you crazy. I found mine by washing the car. Good Luck!

Reactions: PoconoG

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
If you have taken the top off your car recently, make sure that the seals on both sides behind the top where it slides back into the grooves are flush. Sometimes when you put the top back on it pinches the rubber seals an d that is all it takes-air will come in the caR and drive you crazy. I found mine by washing the car. Good Luck!
Good suggestion. Every time before cinching down the front latches it pays to look at both the right and left rear side of the panel to ensure that small 'tab like' seal is below the panel and not caught/pinched up. :cool:

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Do you have pictures of correct versus incorrect installation of the roof panel, where the incorrect installation caused wind noise?

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
Do you have pictures of correct versus incorrect installation of the roof panel, where the incorrect installation caused wind noise?
What was being referred to is very apparent. There are at each end of the rear of the panel where it slides into the central cross member, about a 1/2 inch of gasket that can get caught and pushes up above the roof panel. The rest of the gasket will look perfectly normal, that is between the panel and the cross member and slightly below both edges across the full length. If not carefully installed you will see at one side or the other this 1/2 inch piece of gasket sticking up between the panel and cross member and above the panel/roof line. If when you sight across the installed panel, the gasket is uniform and slightly below the top of the panel and the cross member and you still have wind noise, then it is something else causing it. I have never driven with the 1/2 inch piece of gasket caught and sticking up so I can't attest to whether that will cause any wind noise (I think it would).

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I drained my oil today slowly to see how low it could get and still register on the dipstick. No results yet.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Has anyone checked the areas around the small quarter window just behind the driver's head?
I thought of this thread today when I was showing the car to a guy at work.
He noticed the weather seal at the front edge of the quarter window along the drivers side door was folded in funny, like I'd grabbed it getting out of the car.
I haven't had any wind noise, but I wondered if that might be something that could go unnoticed - I have no idea how long that rubber flap had been bunched up...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the vibrating noise as well, like a plastic bag is caught under the frame. Only at certain speeds. comes and goes. Girl friend says she hears it sometimes when I don't. Selective hearing :) I am taking it in for another issue and will ask the expert to take a listen and girl friend can ride along with him!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have slight wind noise from the door windows, both on the passenger and driver sides. The driver's side may be a little worse. I asked the dealer to check it out and they couldn't find anything. Is the consensus this is normal? Anyone get their wind noise resolved? My top gasket isn't pinched. The noise isn't bad but, in comparison, my wife's 2008 Hyundai doesn't have this noise.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts