Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm willing to try these this winter, but this price is almost a deal breaker.:ack: I'd like to get it closer to $1300 or less...anyone have another source at a better price?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got pilot sport all seasons last year through my local shop for under $1200. They were great in cold weather, lots of grip.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I just ordered a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires in the Z51 sizes you are pricing. They do not come up if you input your Corvette, but they will come up if you search for tires in the Z51 sizes separately. Around $200 a tire for the fronts, around $253 a tire for the rears. They are all season tires, but are rated very highly for snow use.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires in the Z51 sizes you are pricing. They do not come up if you input your Corvette, but they will come up if you search for tires in the Z51 sizes separately. Around $200 a tire for the fronts, around $253 a tire for the rears. They are all season tires, but are rated very highly for snow use.
thanks for the tip....price sure is better!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If you like Michelins, don't forget that Costco sells them. You get a great installed price and a good warranty. I did this for Pilot Sports on my 95 ZR-1. --Bob

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Quick question for anyone - are the "summer rated" tires OK to drive in the winter? In other words, if the roads are clear, no snow,ice, are they fine or do they not rated for cold weather? I don't mind not driving in the snow but i need to drive if its less that 30! TIA.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Generally summer only tires have poor grip in cold temperatures. Worst case, some summer only tires may crack and be unsafe for further use. Speak with a knowledgeable representative for the specific tire you are considering.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
From page 10-46 of the 2014 Owners Manual

Summer Tires
High Performance Summer Tires
This vehicle may come with P245/
40ZR18 and P285/35ZR19,
or P245/35ZR19 and P285/30ZR20
high performance summer tires.
These tires have a special tread and
compound that are optimized for
maximum dry and wet road
performance. This special tread and
compound will have decreased
performance in cold climates, and
on ice and snow. We recommend
installing winter tires on the vehicle
if frequent driving at temperatures
below approximately 5°C (40°F) or
on ice or snow covered roads is
expected. See Winter Tires on
page 10-44.

Reactions: Racer_X

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Thanks Rob - that's exactly what i was looking for. So for those of us north of the Mason-Dixon line does everyone spend the extra $$$$ on winter tires or just drive sparingly in winter? I don't see myself going on long touring trips but trips to/from school, shopping - perhaps a trip south to warmer climates.... I wonder if the tires are will crack/fail? Anyone have any real life experience keeping the performance summer tires on all year? Thanks.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Quick question for anyone - are the "summer rated" tires OK to drive in the winter? In other words, if the roads are clear, no snow,ice, are they fine or do they not rated for cold weather? I don't mind not driving in the snow but i need to drive if its less that 30! TIA.
There is bulletin out which warns of possible cracks in the rubber if used below 20 F. It originally was only for the Z51 PSSs but has since been revised to include both vette tires. That being said, it was 18 F the morning we took delivery of my wife's non-Z convertible at the Museum, and it was in the low 30s when we left Bowling Green. Since then, she has driven it every day it was not actually raining or snowing, in temps down to the single digits. While, below 40 F, there is an obvious loss of traction, grip, and braking, there has been no visible damage to our non-Z tires.

Just our experience, and my $0.02 worth. Most of the instances I have seen on the 'net of cracked tires occurred in sub-zero temps up north or in Canada.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do you think you'll be in snow? If not, CT dealer recommended Michelin all season for about $400 less than winter tire

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
There is bulletin out which warns of possible cracks in the rubber if used below 20 F. It originally was only for the Z51 PSSs but has since been revised to include both vette tires. That being said, it was 18 F the morning we took delivery of my wife's non-Z convertible at the Museum, and it was in the low 30s when we left Bowling Green. Since then, she has driven it every day it was not actually raining or snowing, in temps down to the single digits. While, below 40 F, there is an obvious loss of traction, grip, and braking, there has been no visible damage to our non-Z tires.

Just our experience, and my $0.02 worth. Most of the instances I have seen on the 'net of cracked tires occurred in sub-zero temps up north or in Canada.

Thanks for the $.02!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Rob, Thanks for the info on those tires, I need to find some for NC winter driving similar to what Racer X is talking about. I've always had good luck with Conti's over the many years.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, I bit the bullet today and ordered the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s for my Z51 coupe through a local auto repair shop that I have dealt with in the past. Total price installed is almost $1800. I'm not too concerned with whether I could have saved a hundred bucks by going someplace else as he will store the summer tires for me over the winter and has the equipment to mount the tires without damaging the wheels. My hope is that I will get a second set of wheels for the Stingray in spring once more aftermarket options are available.

I'll keep you all posted on how they perform once I get some miles on them. I do know that I have experienced that the summer tires loose a lot of grip and the front hops a lot more when the temp is in the 30s. I do intend to drive the car year round up here in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
539 Posts
On many cars, winter tires are often sized minus 1, meaning the wheel size is an inch smaller in diameter, (yes new winter wheels) the width of the tire is a bit narrower and the sidewall is a bit taller, which both makes up for the decreased wheel diameter and gives a bit more cushion for winter road heaves, potholes, etc. The narrower width tends to allow the tire to cut down though the snow/ slush layer and not have the tire ride upon the layers of slippery stuff. Finally, the fact is, while all seasons are better than summer tires in the snow, they are a compromise that really doesn't do well in real, cold snow/ice conditions. Their compound is significantly different than true winter tires, and are not as pliable in cold weather. A good winter tire can transform a very poor performing car in the winter into a very good performing snow vehicle (ground clearance aside). I have lived a number of years in Vermont. I know what it means to have good snows. There is no substitute. Yes you are spending on winter tires, but you are, at the same time, saving miles on your summer tires. Don't compromise. If you drive in a snowy area, spring for the snows. You won't be sorry.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
I'm willing to try these this winter, but this price is almost a deal breaker.:ack: I'd like to get it closer to $1300 or less...anyone have another source at a better price?
I got a quote from Sam's Club for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's to fit a Z51, 45,000 mile warranty, Front $249 and Rear $310.27 for a total of $1270 installed.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I got a quote from Sam's Club for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's to fit a Z51, 45,000 mile warranty, Front $249 and Rear $310.27 for a total of $1270 installed.
FYI...due to the staggered size and inability to rotate, the 45K mile warranty is substantially reduced. I think you only get 50%...

I've got A/S 3's on my Infiniti. Not the best stick in hot or cold weather. A/S 2's were better, but more expensive.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Question for those that are changing tires to "all weather" variety. Do you plan on changing back in the spring? Or are the all sports a decent enough ride and grip for daily driving? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts