Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_3074.JPG IMG_3075.jpg IMG_3076.jpg

Am I a Happy Camper? HELL NO!

Just paid 78K (tax and license included) and one week later this!

Big oil leak. All I can guess is that somebody overfilled it and this spilled out, but this didn't show up until this morning.

Anybody else wake up to this? Towed into the dealership and waiting diagnosis. Hope it isn't the problem where it will need that catch can.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'd be unhappy to, but I'm sure they'll correct it.

Reactions: Ret9580

·
Registered
371 Posts
Man sorry to hear that! How many miles you put on it that week? Ever take above 4000RPM?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man sorry to hear that! How many miles you put on it that week? Ever take above 4000RPM?
Well, I have 420 miles on it. I'm very "posterior" when it comes to my toys, specially one as expensive as this. Nope, did not take it over 4000 RPMS......following the "break-in" procedure to the letter. It is possible the dealer or the factory overfilled it with oil.......most likely the dealer. I can just picture some "mentally challenged" dealer mechanic checking the oil when it was cold, seeing the oil level below the "full" level (which as I read is normal on a Z51) and then overfilling it a quart. I checked it like the manual says.....I.E. oil temperature at 180 degrees minimum and wait 5-10 minutes after the engine is shut off, and on a level surface. But I can just picture somebody not knowing and thinking it was a base Stingray that takes 7.0 Quarts vs. 10.3 on the Z51. On the bright side, it is warrantied for 3 years or 36K miles.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ret850, sorry about your horrible news. You were smart to get to put on a flat bed! Hope this is resolved real soon!
On the "it's a small world" side, I knew the tow driver "Bill" from my former employment. Had a great conversation on the 40 mile trip to the dealership. So thoughtful of the dealership, they gave me a Chevy Cruze as a loaner.

·
Banned
631 Posts
I am sure the dealer will find it. From the location under your car though, it sure appears to be right under the airbox.....so let us know what they find.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sure the dealer will find it. From the location under your car though, it sure appears to be right under the airbox.....so let us know what they find.
You are correct, I did notice it was directly under the air box. The front air dam on the passenger side was cover with oil too. I told the service manager to pull the air cleaner and check it and the air box for oil, just based on what I have read here on this forum. I will post what they found. If it comes down to it, how much is that catch can? part #? and do you know of any corvette expert near 92399 that could install it. My mechanical expertise is highly limited.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
480 Posts
I don't mean to be ignorant, but from my phone this looks greenish. It is not coolant is it?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't mean to be ignorant, but from my phone this looks greenish. It is not coolant is it?
Negative on coolant, engine for sure. My son said the photo looked like dog pee.........I only wish it was dog pee!

·
Banned
631 Posts
You are correct, I did notice it was directly under the air box. The front air dam on the passenger side was cover with oil too. I told the service manager to pull the air cleaner and check it and the air box for oil, just based on what I have read here on this forum. I will post what they found. If it comes down to it, how much is that catch can? part #? and do you know of any corvette expert near 92399 that could install it. My mechanical expertise is highly limited.
There are a few not far, let me look one up for you.

$299 plus $99 for the cleanside separator.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Elite engineering has some good options. Google them and check it out. I bought the "better" catch can option (they have 3: good ~$150, better ~$250, and best ~$350). Better comes with extra part specially for z51,and the best one comes with an additional valve and line, but you have to drill a hole in your plastic intake tube and I didn't want to do that. They also have instructions on their website you can download. It looks extremely easy to do, so it might be something you want to tackle yourself.

If you need a link PM me, but they should be really easy to find through the google machine.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Let's not jump to solutions when we have no idea what the real cause was.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: Mobius and Ret9580

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point Mark (mjw930). The service manager just called (about 6 hours after drop off) and told me there was a loose hose leading to the air compressor for the AC unit. Obviously somebody at the factory was having a snack when that got by. Anyway, he says they tightened the hose and have had it running for an hour (my Mobil premium $4.40 a gallon dime) and there has been no more leaks. Service manager said they were going to turn it off and let it sit for an hour to double check. I feel much better now........but damn! at least they could tighten all the nuts & bolts before shipping. Santa Ana winds blowing like a beast today, so I told them I would pick it up in the morning.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Good point Mark (mjw930). The service manager just called (about 6 hours after drop off) and told me there was a loose hose leading to the air compressor for the AC unit. Obviously somebody at the factory was having a snack when that got by. Anyway, he says they tightened the hose and have had it running for an hour (my Mobil premium $4.40 a gallon dime) and there has been no more leaks. Service manager said they were going to turn it off and let it sit for an hour to double check. I feel much better now........but damn! at least they could tighten all the nuts & bolts before shipping. Santa Ana winds blowing like a beast today, so I told them I would pick it up in the morning.
The engine running was part of the diagnostics for the warranty repair. Hopefully they will fill 'er up with Mobil premium for you before you pick it up.

I hope this all goes well for you from here on.

Reactions: Ret9580

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
The changed the oil requirements down on the Z51. It's now 9.8 quarts. The engine warrantee is 5 years and 100,000 miles.

Jim
When was this change made on the Z51 oil volume?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Great report Ret9580. Loose hose to the air compressor. Did you use the AC on your drive? Was it an oil hose to the compressor?

1 - 20 of 141 Posts