Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Z51 constraint in mind, how long will you wait for your order to be produced before switching over to a 2015 model.

The 4-week Z51 delay, which might even be longer, will push production back at least one month. Production will never catch up unless GM is able to increase the rate of cars coming off the line. If you are #40 on a wait list with an original predicted production date of March 2014, the 2015 models are only less than half a year away when you get your car. You would be buying a 2014 model that is half way into the model production year. That also means it has lost half of its depreciated value.

Are dealers calling their wait list to ask if they would like to switch to base C7's in order to receive their cars earlier? If enough people jump from Z51 to Base, how does that re-juggle the remaining people waiting for Z51's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,453 Posts
With the Z51 constraint in mind, how long will you wait for your order to be produced before switching over to a 2015 model.


Are dealers calling their wait list to ask if they would like to switch to base C7's in order to receive their cars earlier? If enough people jump from Z51 to Base, how does that re-juggle the remaining people waiting for Z51's?
very few will jump, it's too good of an option $$ value wise, also many z51 people have convinced themselves that anything less than a z51 is not a Vette....testosterone comes into play here a bit...

Think crod dundee: "that's not a knife....."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,607 Posts
I think it's a crap shoot! For me with winter closing in, and production issues at hand, I feel really at ease with my plans for a 2015 convertible purchase. I don't even have to worry about a carbon fiber top, but knowing my luck they will be out of whatever color soft top I want. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,656 Posts
My take, they have built ~10% of the cars they projected to build for this model year. The OP is in Hawaii so a 40 unit allocation could mean they might not see a car till next summer but here on the mainland I fully expect to be able to walk into or call a volume dealer in January, place an order and take delivery in March or April. By December / January you'll start seeing in stock vehicles sitting on dealer lots.

2014's will probably be built through July with the order banks closing in May so we're 7 months away from a dealer not being able to order a car. Know that if you want a 2015 the earliest you would expect to see a car would be September 2014 I don't see the Z51 constraint causing anywhere ne'er enough delay to force someone into a 2015.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I am in Honolulu right now, I would register this C7 in one of my Mainland homes.

If I can get a base coupe by November, my strategy is to lease it for two years because I'm really waiting for a Z07. At the end of the two year lease, I would turn it in and get a Z07. My concern is the new Z07 auto transmission will undermine the A6 auto and make it difficult to sell without penalty, therefore the lease.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,453 Posts
While I am in Honolulu right now, I would register this C7 in one of my Mainland homes.

If I can get a base coupe by November, my strategy is to lease it for two years because I'm really waiting for a Z07. At the end of the two year lease, I would turn it in and get a Z07. My concern is the new Z07 auto transmission will undermine the A6 auto and make it difficult to sell without penalty, therefore the lease.
if oyu want a coupe - do this NOW...like tomorrow:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...836-looking-avail-coupe-slot-non-z51-now.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
Yes, indeed. Upon getting unofficial feedback that the CF Roof is 120 days away, I'm starting over without it. An order tomorrow (no Z51 or CF roof) could yield a build in 2nd half of October with delivery in first half of November. I put the $2000 bucks into other stuff and feel much better about the whole thing. A year from now, if I have some sort of hankerin' for the visible CF roof, I'll get one aftermarket as the cost from a GM parts dept. will undoubtedly be prohibitive.

There are benefits to being an early adopter and yet, at times, you take it in the shorts!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,453 Posts
Yes, indeed. Upon getting unofficial feedback that the CF Roof is 120 days away, I'm starting over without it. An order tomorrow (no Z51 or CF roof) could yield a build in 2nd half of October with delivery in first half of November. I put the $2000 bucks into other stuff and feel much better about the whole thing. A year from now, if I have some sort of hankerin' for the visible CF roof, I'll get one aftermarket as the cost from a GM parts dept. will undoubtedly be prohibitive.

There are benefits to being an early adopter and yet, at times, you take it in the shorts!
so you ordered from rick - wasn't it painless?

what exactly are you going to order...spill it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top