Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I had battery issue, now starting to think something else is going on. Drove car without issue week ago. Yesterday got into car to check fuel level before leaving. Sitting in seat with driver door still open, foot on brake, pushed start button. Heard several fast clicks that continued until I hit start button again. Then nothing. Thought that I may have accidently activated anti theft by having door still open. Closed door, tried again. Nothing. Had to use manual release to open door. Car completely dead. Plugged in battery tender. 24 hours later no change. I know tender are very slow charging and only meant for maintenance, but I thought that at least the doors would unlock. Had to manually open trunk, pull on tab to open door. Is there something else going on ? Also any reason you shouldn't use regular battery charger on these cars ?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
May still be battery issue. If your battery is or was dead it would take more than 24 hours to get enough of a charge to be useful. And it may not come back at all depending on battery age etc.
I would think that should be your first fix before getting into bigger more expensive issues. JMO

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SMKN C7 and Racer57

·
Administrator
17,207 Posts
I would guess it is the battery. Since you recently got the C7 you probably don't know the history of how it was driven (ie, lots of short trips) or how the battery was maintained. You could try to make sure the battery connections are clean and tight, that it is the correct battery and perhaps switch to a CTEK charger (reasonably priced on Amazon). Per your other thread and my response, a new battery might be in order.

Also, make sure that you are using the outlet in the trunk to charge/maintain the battery. The one in the car up front is not meant for that. Check the connection from the accessory plug to your current charger- a number of owners have found it is a poor connection.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a simular experience on my wife's car. She hardly drives so it sits a lot - battery is about 5 years old. I learned that the plates in a battery can become sulfated over time to where they wont hold a charge or charge all the way. I also learned that wet cell batteries can be reconditioned easier than you think. Just buy a charger that has a "recondition" feature. Its sends a frequency to the battery that knocks the sulfate off the plates and desolves back into electrolite.

It worked for me and I didn't have to buy a new battery. Remember to pop the cell caps off and ensure the electeolite is covering the cells before hooking up the charger. There are numerous vids on youtube on the topic. I paid $57 for the charger below from Harbor Freight. It can take up to 24 hours to complete.

Textile Automotive design Publication Font Wood

Reactions: Racer57

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Racer57...I had almost the exact same thing happen to me when I attempted to check the fuel level. I didn't want to start the car just to do that, so I pushed the start button w/o pushing the brake pedal (that's how it is supposed to be done). Suddenly, I had all of the things going on that you speak of. I had just installed a new battery a few days earlier, but I pulled it out and took it to the dealership to be tested. It was good. Then I saw a post (somewhere) that stated that you can "clear" this issue by pressing and holding the start button for 10-15 seconds (w/o your foot on the brake). Whew!!! It worked. All I had to do then was re-register the window because in the process it had dropped about halfway down. Needless to say, I was going crazy because the symptoms were all over the place.

I mentioned this to the "Corvette Mechanic" while he was giving his seminar at the National Corvette Museum Bash. He said that the computer that controls start/accessory function can get confused (non-techy term) in determining what you are wanting done.

·
Administrator
17,207 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I tried it without any luck. Turns out it was just a dead battery. Shop put a load tester on it and it showed 4 amps.
That happens. Glad you were able to isolate the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts