Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the car and a few days ago I noticed rust spots on the chrome rims already. Is this normal? What would happen if I actually complained? I haven't called them up yet

·
Registered
124 Posts
You should bring this up with your dealer.

Any respectable dealer will ask to see the car and take corrective action.

·
18,669 Posts
I bought the car and a few days ago I noticed rust spots on the chrome rims already. Is this normal? What would happen if I actually complained? I haven't called them up yet
Absolutely being your car back to the dealer. Covered by warranty. You paid a lot for your car, even more for the chrome wheel option. You deserve years of shiny chrome wheels!

I suppose, remotely possible, that they could polish them out, but I highly doubt it. Thinking they are going to order you replacement GM identical-part chrome wheels, and when they arrive, you will go back to the dealership for their techs to put the new ones on -- of course no charge to you!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I agree with everyone above. Once chrome is penetrated by rust the worst of it is spread under the chrome, so I am guessing your situation may be worse than you think. How many wheels show rust?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Take it into the dealer TODAY and get it changed - in fact, I'd request changing all four wheels. If there's rust showing on one, it may well be lurking under others. I'm sure going to keep a close eye on mine.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Take it into the dealer TODAY and get it changed - in fact, I'd request changing all four wheels. If there's rust showing on one, it may well be lurking under others. I'm sure going to keep a close eye on mine.
this is where you can get sideways with a dealer, they will repair the problem, not replace things that are ok...be reasonable with a dealer and it's not forgotten.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don't delay! I had problems with my car and my nearest GM dealer took care of them right away.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Hmm, rust spots on chromed aluminum rims? How does that happen?

·
Registered
141 Posts
It isn't rust, but there us a problem. Rust it Iron Oxide Orange-red. Doesn't exist in Chrome or Aluminum.
I beleive they plate copper onto aluminum befor they plate the Chrome. If it is Orange-red it is Pbobibly the Copper plate and eventually the chrome plating will blister off.
Don't tell your dealer it is rusting, tell them there is a problem with the plating and you want new wheels. The dealer cannot fix this.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It isn't rust, but there us a problem. Rust it Iron Oxide Orange-red. Doesn't exist in Chrome or Aluminum.
I beleive they plate copper onto aluminum befor they plate the Chrome. If it is Orange-red it is Pbobibly the Copper plate and eventually the chrome plating will blister off.
Don't tell your dealer it is rusting, tell them there is a problem with the plating and you want new wheels. The dealer cannot fix this.
I was thinking the same thing rust? Didn't know are wheels are made of steel. I agree must be the copper coming thru.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I got to thinking about this question some time after I replied and wondered as to whether steel wheels were even put on Corvettes? They aren't so I am thinking now that the above reply is spot on!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got to thinking about this question some time after I replied and wondered as to whether steel wheels were even put on Corvettes? They aren't so I am thinking now that the above reply is spot on!
I talked to a mechanic friend over the weekend and he said it depends on what material they are chroming -- he said it's rare to chrome aluminum parts (but he's an aircraft technician) anyway his opinion is there is no "fix" it just has to be replaced whether it's rust or copper oxide seeping through. A quick call to my dealer confirmed that this is all under warranty and the dealer is responsible to make it right for the customer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts