Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I order arctic white Z51 1LT with red interior, carbon flash mirrors and spoiler with all black wheels. Which I thought it was the (QC7) wheels ,but it said (QCC) "black aluminum wheels" on my sheet. Me thinking those are the all black wheels and not the machined ones (QCC). Which I also didn't know they released new black wheels. So me thinking those where the only black wheels on the market. That was on June. Until I looked at it recently at 3300 status code with TPW 9/15, then I noticed those where the wrong wheels and it was to late to change anything unfortunately. So now I'm stuck with these wheels which also are priced at 1000$ which I know it was my fault for not looking at it throughly early on. I don't know If I'll end up it liking it when I see then in person. But if I don't like them. Is there a way to make them all black? I know there's plastic dipping. But I'm not sure how that works. Is there any other ways?

Thank you

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think you can powder coat them.. but machined wheels look pretty sweet so don't worry about it right now. You might like them.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I don't know where you are buying, but since they are $1000 more expensive than the all black wheels, perhaps the dealer would swap them out with the wheels on another car he has in stock. Or, you could swap with another C7 owner. And if you want to make the wheels all black, a wheel refinishing shop can powder coat them for $100 a wheel, or less.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Had the black wheels, what a PITA to clean constantly and they got pitted and chipped real quick. Next order will be machined, I think you will like them.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Had the black wheels, what a PITA to clean constantly and they got pitted and chipped real quick.
a year from now, this type post will litter this and other forums....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Glen, do you think the machined wheels will hold up that much better? I'm asking because I am configuring my new Stingray now and having a hard time deciding between the two.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I intentionally ordered gray painted wheels on my C7 and then the day I got it home. I put it up on blocks, took the wheels off and had them powder coated gloss black because black wheels were not avail in Sept 2013 when I got my car. Total cost was $80 to dismount and mount tires and $300 to powder coat. With a torch red car, the black wheels look awesome and I have never been a fan of black wheels. Good luck.

·
Registered
283 Posts
When ordering my C7, I wanted black wheels too. When I was telling the salesman what options I wanted, I told him the black wheels. He asked machined??? I said yeah the black Z51 wheels. Little did I know, those were the new Black machined face wheels. Once I got my copy and started looking over everything once I got home I noticed it, but now I'm glad I "accidentally" picked the QCC wheels, From what I've seen, they are going to look so good with my color options. Plus I bought a lightly used set of black Z51 wheels from a forum member so now I have options.

Reactions: elegant and Dave546

·
18,670 Posts
I see. Is powder coat permanent? Thank you
Powder coat is much, much, much more durable, perhaps by a factor of ten times, maybe twenty times, than is paint. It will consequently rock chip so much less. However, like life, nothing is permanent, so even powder coated will not look just like new ten years from now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
powder coat...easy, at way less than 100 a wheel....Mark will be along here with more data....
Wow, where do you find a place to powder coat wheels for that price? Yesterday I went to a local company that does powder coating and he quoted me $500 per wheel and that would be plus dismounting and remounting. I was going to order painted wheels and then have them coated but now will just go with Chrome wheels from the factory.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Wow, where do you find a place to powder coat wheels for that price? Yesterday I went to a local company that does powder coating and he quoted me $500 per wheel and that would be plus dismounting and remounting. I was going to order painted wheels and then have them coated but now will just go with Chrome wheels from the factory.
He was hijacking you. Find another powder coat place.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
When my order goes in on a Z51, I will stick with the $0 extra cost silver wheels, and I too will then get them powder coated. But I need a second set of wheels for non-summer tires. I priced some Cray Brickyards from a local tire and wheel chain of stores. They will sell me a set of four Brickyards in any finish for $1429. And one available Brickyard finish is matte black machine face. So, I can get a set of machine face Brickyards for less than the upcharge for machine face wheels from the factory, and have two sets of wheels, instead of just one.

And yes, powder coat is permanent.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Dave, I had my C6 calipers powder coated 6 years ago and the durability has been exceptional. Would like to mention that I saw an AW on display at Carlisle with the new Z51 black machined wheels, and they looked awesome! Also on display were the new for '15 standard black machined wheels and they looked great as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes powder coating is permanent. In fact the gray painted wheels that come stock are powder coated.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Yes powder coating is permanent. In fact the gray painted wheels that come stock are powder coated.
Is that the 18/19 inch non Z51 wheels, the 19/20 inch Z51 wheels, or both?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Is that the 18/19 inch non Z51 wheels, the 19/20 inch Z51 wheels, or both?
Not Skip, but both, the standard non Z51 and the standard Z51 are both silver painted finish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
All painted corvette wheels are powder coated both non Z51 and Z51. The reason I know is that when they powder coated my gray wheels they had to acid dip them to get the factory powder coating off. Normally you would sand blast a wheel to remove old paint but you cant sand blast powder coated wheels. It ruins the wheel.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts