Stingray Corvette Forum banner

341 - 360 of 389 Posts

·
Administrator
15,149 Posts
Thanks for the additional details John and looking forward to the fuller write-up.:)

·
18,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #342 (Edited)
A new mod. When they arrived yesterday, thought about saving them for "special occasions," but why postpone what can be enjoyed today.

image.jpg

·
18,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
WRP SPD gets his traveling suit! In hindsight, wished I had done this before our big trip, but two more trips just around the corner. Not going to use around town, but for "the road." Today was test installation day and it went easily/perfectly. As the spats are painted, then cleared, then XPEL'd, put a tiny vertical piece of electrical tape where the bra cuts across the spats at a 45 degree angle. Not sure that will be needed, but for at least the first trip. Thanks Novistretch!

image.jpg

·
Administrator
15,149 Posts
Umm, kinda looks like sheer lingerie for the trip John ;)

·
18,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
Funny! Not our idea of elegant, and Annie apologized to WRP SPD before we out it on, but what a nightmare I had yesterday cleaning out the tons of bugs, pieces of hay, even some small rocks that had gotten in behind the grill. She also told him it was to add another layer of protection for his beautiful paint, and would not be on him except for road trips.

And he is smiling about a mid-summer, second-round-mystery-mod that is coming.

·
18,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
WRP SPD gets a $7.50 mod. Sorry for the poor picture (getting a better one sent to me and I will replace this one). Each carbon fiber decal for $3.75 on eBay. Just search for "C7 Jake decals: randagraphics." Specify 4" version in "notes to seller." (No extra charge.) Will it last a fair amount of time? No! But for the summer season it will be just fine. They also make different sizes and a reverse-print version to mount on the inside of your glass which will last. They match very nicely with the GM visible carbon fiber roof.

You can also find them on instatagram and Facebook.

image.jpg

·
18,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #347 (Edited)
Sometimes mods need modification (or at least one or two of mine do). So, out with the 4" Jake, now replaced with the below 5" one, for when standing back 10' or more, the 4" one was puny looking.

image.jpg

·
18,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #348 (Edited)
A WRP SPD modification story with a VERY happy ending.

I have two friends, both more highly connected with the top of the Corvette team than I am, both StingRay forum members, that fit into this mini-adventure.

Several months ago, I met up with a friend who had their Z06 with them. Their car had a very rare component that I had never seen -- other than in a picture. Their center wickerbill had a "Z06 embossed emblem" in it. After a welcoming hug, my eyes were drawn to the emblem, asking, "can you please help me get one?" Learned that this person had gotten it as an unexpected Christmas present from one of the very top members of the C7 team, and that the answer was, "sorry, unfortunately I can not." So, during the past few months have been repeatedly trying to get one, while all the time realizing that most Z06 stage 2 owners could care less about that little embossing.

Here is a close up of the embossing (better, outside pictures coming this weekend, without tree in background as pictured, and already mounted on WRP SPD, after being CQuartz'd late last night).

image.jpg

Separately, while GM's four Z06, Z07 optioned, show cars had a center wickerbill with a Z07 embossing in the same place, they are also scarcer than the old, proverbial hens teeth.

Except for an estimated 10-25 very early Z07 embossed wickerbills, and perhaps a similar number of stage 2 embossed Z06's (and those numbers might even be high), all the factory Z06's have been delivered with a clear center wickerbill -- though all have one tiny, tiny "V" emblem on their left side. Similarly, the wickerbills available from your parts counter and third party sellers have lacked both the Z06 and the Z07 embossing.

However, just yesterday, two escaped from wherever they came from (not talking/source protected). One of them is now on WRP SPD. Here's the back sorry.

GM's original plan was, we think but do not know for sure, to have the stage 2's have the Z06 embossing, the stage 3's to have the Z07 embossing, and molds were made for all three, including the remaining non-embossed ones (other than the remaining tiny "V" emblem) for over parts' counter sales. Again we think this, but have no confirmation, nor denial. But, it is guessed, that the bean counters above the Corvette team laid down the law, saying, "NO, for we can save money if we only have one part instead of three doing the exact same thing."

Harlan has responded to many questions from folks asking about them, and how they can get them, and Harlan had said a couple of times that they "were pre-production versions, not available, and the correct one for a Z06 is a non-embossed one." (Unanswered question is, how come, and it has been traced down and has nothing to do with VINs, that a tiny handful of intermittent, customer Z06's were delivered with an Z06 or Z07 embossed center wickerbill?)

Meanwhile, another friend, active on our forum (again much more highly connected that I ever hope to be), was separately calling his buddies on the Corvette team, and unfortunately he struck out getting one for his Z, even as recently as a few weeks ago.

Then, after many, many dead ends for both of us (though I did not know that he was also looking for one until yesterday), two Z06 embossed GM parts escaped from somewhere. Grabbed them, and WRP SPD is one's home, the other one is heading to my friend. Sorry, but the window opened, and closed within a very short time, and no additional ones are now available -- other than the Z07 embossed one right now on e bay ($380 is the current bid and still seven days left). Picture below thanks to "Arctic Blastoff."

image.jpg

Some have said that these embossed wickerbills are so rare and so valuable that they should never be put onto the car, but saved in a bag at home. Me, I am on this planet once..., and when looking at it, it brings a big smile. And having open heart surgery three years ago, and coming out better than most decades younger (though going to the gym is now a daily BFF), appreciate every day so, so much, including my inconsequential-to-most embossed wickerbill.

·
18,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Thanks to Buzz, we have a better picture of the new embossed wickerbill! He showed up at a local car show today, with more cameras and related equipment hanging off his neck than a New York Times photographer.

image.jpg

Thank you Buzz!

·
18,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
BTW, three "Z06 embossed" center wickerbills just showed up on E Bay for $375. Glad I paid a lot less, but if some one wants one, here you go.

·
18,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #351 (Edited)
WRP SPD gets modified. Not big, but a good change. Oregon is two license plate state and a fellow Oregon forum member just got warned to no longer have his license plate mounted inside the car on the windshield -- just a $242 fine. Got tired of wondering whether my next encounter of driving by a police office was going to result in a "blue light special." And there were other reasons why the change I made today was a good one, most specifically to avoid the top of dash light sensor from being in and then out of direct sunshine every time I turned a curve in the road while heading toward the sun -- with consequent IP brightness changing each time.

Here is the before picture of where we had our license plate.

image.jpeg

As some know, as I have mounted my Curb Alert sensor in the lower center of my grille, most usual plate mounting locations would have rendered it useless where it is. And then, this option from Sto-n-Show. And in case you are wondering, it does reduce clearance in the center of the car by 1/2", but coincidentally results in that distance now being the same distance as on the outer winglet edge clearance on the factory splitter endplates. (BTW, Sto-n-Show has several versions, each at $90 (no shipping cost), e.g., versions for a StingRay without a splitter, a second version for a StingRay with a big splitter AND also fitting a stage 1 Z06, and lastly the Z06 stage 2/3 version now on my car.)

Ease of installation is equal to "can you tie your own shoes," and the precision/machining/lightness of the product is an A+. Depending on the version, you will drill one or two upward 1/8" holes in the underneath plastic tray just behind the splitter. Removal for a car show or cleaning or whatever takes less than 15 seconds -- not a single tool, with reinstall the same 15 seconds without a tool.

image.jpeg

Here it is installed (duh), but most importantly my Curb Alert is still functioning PERFECTLY. See the little rectangle just above the top of the plate frame. (Thanks again to "managerman" for this original installation location -- see his StingRay build for more on that.)

image.jpeg

Two final notes:

1) Look goods from the side, and sticks out just a small amount more than the two "fangs."

2) Next week going for the "trifecta," (Sto-n-Show, Curb Alert and Novistretch), i.e., leaving the first two in place and adding in the mask. (Been working with [email protected] Designs on how this could happen (hope, hope), that will also be in a very quick/simple manner with just a tiny/easy mod to current Novistretches.

"Trifecta assessment" next week.

Tiny final aesthetic adjustment is needed, but that too will be accomplished without tools, and will take just a few seconds.​

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I've posted this before but with most states offering a variety of custom plates, wouldn't it be great if you could get them to match the color of your car. IMHO, John's car would look much sharper with a yellow plate with black letters or vice versa.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I agree! But not moving anywhere. We love this place!
I don't think any state offers color matching plates. Am I wrong ? I'm just happy Michigan doesn't require a front plate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
WRP SPD gets modified. Not big, but a good change. Oregon is two license plate state and a fellow Oregon forum member just got warned to no longer have his license plate mounted inside the car on the windshield -- just a $242 fine. Got tired of wondering whether my next encounter of driving by a police office was going to result in a "blue light special." And there were other reasons why the change I made today was a good one, most specifically to avoid the top of dash light sensor from being in and then out of direct sunshine every time I turned a curve in the road while heading toward the sun -- with consequent IP brightness changing each time.

Here is the before picture of where we had our license plate.

As some know, as I have mounted my Curb Alert sensor in the lower center of my grille, most usual plate mounting locations would have rendered it useless where it is. And then, this option from Sto-n-Show. And in case you are wondering, it does reduce clearance in the center of the car by 1/2", but coincidentally results in that distance now being the same distance as on the outer winglet edge clearance on the factory splitter endplates. (BTW, Sto-n-Show has several versions, each at $90 (no shipping cost), e.g., versions for a StingRay without a splitter, a second version for a StingRay with a big splitter AND also fitting a stage 1 Z06, and lastly the Z06 stage 2/3 version now on my car.)

Ease of installation is equal to "can you tie your own shoes," and the precision/machining/lightness of the product is an A+. Depending on the version, you will drill one or two upward 1/8" holes in the underneath plastic tray just behind the splitter. Removal for a car show or cleaning or whatever takes less than 15 seconds -- not a single tool, with reinstall the same 15 seconds without a tool.

View attachment 38102

Here it is installed (duh), but most importantly my Curb Alert is still functioning PERFECTLY. See the little rectangle just above the top of the plate frame. (Thanks again to "managerman" for this original installation location -- see his StingRay build for more on that.)

Two final notes:

1) Look goods from the side, and sticks out just a small amount more than the two "fangs."

2) Next week going for the "trifecta," (Sto-n-Show, Curb Alert and Novistretch), i.e., leaving the first two in place and adding in the mask. (Been working with [email protected] Designs on how this could happen (hope, hope), that will also be in a very quick/simple manner with just a tiny/easy mod to current Novistretches.

"Trifecta assessment" next week.

Tiny final aesthetic adjustment is needed, but that too will be accomplished without tools, and will take just a few seconds.​

Nice !!!

Where did you purchase this? Do they make a motorized version?

Thanks!​

·
Registered
385 Posts
John,

Shame you and others have to do this. As a former neighbor, Tacoma, I could not figure why in the world a front plate is necessary. Many states, including my current state, Florida, does not require one. Amazing how much is spent providing the best, most fuel economical shape, then place a flat/surface plate in front. The industry should fight to eliminate this where it still exist in the US.

Cheers,

jose

·
Registered
402 Posts
Drove 15 years in Ohio with no front plate.. So far no problems. Local police lives across the street and sees Vette every day.. No comment or problems.. YET!

·
18,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
Nice !!! Where did you purchase this? Do they make a motorized version? Thanks!
Google "Big Mike's Performance Parts," and sorry, no motorized versions.

·
Administrator
15,149 Posts
WRP SPD still looks great 'dual plated' John and one less thing to worry about :eek:nthego:

·
Registered
922 Posts
John,

Shame you and others have to do this. As a former neighbor, Tacoma, I could not figure why in the world a front plate is necessary. Many states, including my current state, Florida, does not require one. Amazing how much is spent providing the best, most fuel economical shape, then place a flat/surface plate in front. The industry should fight to eliminate this where it still exist in the US.

Cheers,

jose
Front plate = laser target for speed enforcement $money$.

341 - 360 of 389 Posts