Stingray Corvette Forum banner

WTB: 19/20" rims and or wheels 285/325

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  trule 
#1 ·
I need a set of rims and wheels for the winter.

Needed:
19/20" rims, new or used.
285/325 Wheels, new or used

PM or call me at 651-248-1941 cell or text, thanks Todd

#2 ·
There is a number of aftermarket Z06 wheels 19x10/20x12 set (4) being sold on EBAY for 1600 bucks.

#3 ·
Forum member HABOC is selling Z06 aftermarket 19x10/20x12 Rims and Michelin Tires for 2500. I think it said he was located in Los Angeles.

#4 ·
A caution about some aftermarket wheels, e.g., their excessive weight! When the eight year old chrome started peeling off on my C6 Z06, found some replica wheels for a good price. Took three phone calls to them to finally get them to fess up about their weight, e.g. six pounds more per wheels than GM's same size originals. Needless to say, did not buy them!

Even three pounds of unspring weight on a wheel can significantly affect your handling. Buying some factory wheels from a forum member could be just your ticket (and theirs).

#5 ·
@

I'll disagree a bit, only because I don't like to see wheels classified as "stock" or "aftermarket". There are plenty of aftermarket wheels that are lighter than OEM wheels, and still inexpensive. TSW, Cray and Forgestar are three lines that are less weight than the OEM wheel. And certainly the big ticket wheels like Forgeline, HRE, 360, etc are always significantly less than OEM.

#6 ·
Just suggesting that folks do the diligent research you did Glen when you selected yours. I remember your specifically inquiring about your potential aftermarket wheels' weight before you bought them. Often folks get excited about "the look" of new wheels, forgetting about their weight and structural integrity. Just looked up and saw 19" C7 Z-51 wheels on tirerack between 17 pounds and 28.5 pounds. Interesting that tirerack is now including the weight on almost every one of their wheels -- something they did not do years ago. Their major competitor does not list wheels' weight, and even after more than a few calls to them, getting their wheel weights is like pulling teeth.

#11 ·
Hi everybody. I'm relatively new to the world of high performance Corvette modifications, but I know how important the wheels on a road bike are when I'm the engine. I saw this new carbon fiber wheel on the Corvette blogger site ( Six Cool Corvette Products and Accessories from the 2015 SEMA Show - Corvette: Sales, News & Lifestyle ) and they are saying an increase of 96 rwhp with their new 15lb wheels. Not sure how heavy the wheels are that they are comparing to. And the price isn't shown either.

Does this sound reasonable? If so, it sounds like an easier way to get almost the same amount of new rwhp that you would get with some of the superchargers out there, and I wouldn't void my warranty. But I have a hard time to believe this. I have a 2014 Z51 with chrome wheels, which according to another post weigh in the 24 - 27 lb range (front - rear).

What overall improvement could I expect from a set of forged monoblock wheels, that weigh in the 17 - 20 lb range?

Thanks for your input.

mistermasi

#7 ·
Agreed, John. Almost more important than the weight, is whether they are cast or forged. You need forged For a high-performance car. There are many wheels out there, usually they are heavy, that are cast, that look right. But hit the right pothole at the right speed and they can shatter. Forged is the way to go, or the semi Forge, like TSW.

#8 ·
If they come from another Corvette i.e. 2014 Z06 with 19/8.5 and 20/10 should those be considered "OK?" I agree with staying away from wheels that could affect performance.

#9 ·
Wheels have 3 properties.

Strong, light, and cheap. The only problem is you only get to pick 2 of the 3. The other is inverse to the 2 you pick.

Strong and light is not cheap.

Light and cheap isn't strong

Strong and cheap isn't light...no getting around it.

It also will be very rare to have a wheel shatter, it's much more likely that the wheel will bend and crack, and thereby damage the bead and or the sidewall.

#10 ·
Wheels have 3 properties.

Strong, light, and cheap. The only problem is you only get to pick 2 of the 3. The other is inverse to the 2 you pick.

Strong and light is not cheap.

Light and cheap isn't strong

Strong and cheap isn't light...no getting around it.
With that being said for winter driving maybe two times a year being cold and slow I think I can use a little extra weight? Maybe it would be a good thing like sand bags just called "Tire Weights?" ��

It sounds like you are saying that I could use 2014-15 from an older Z06 that may be a bit narrower. That would also help with traction if I did get caught in a blizzard on a joy ride.

Reactions: glen e
#13 ·
Todd,

I have an extra set of the factory spoke Z06 rims for sale (specrtra gray). They are in Washington state and are like new, unblemished. I also have a set of brand new (unused) Michelin Pilot Super Sports available (front and rear Z06 stock tires). I bought the second set of wheels for my track tires and the extra Super Sports tires just to be safe due to long Michelin lead times. The factory Sport Cup II's that came with my vette are also available. They have about 3,000 miles on them. I'm planning in selling my 'vette and won't need them. If you are interested in any of this, please give me a call. I'll sell the wheels for $500/each, the new Pilot Super Sport's for $600 each and the Sport Cup II's for $150 each.

Tim 360-281-1423

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.