Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I received a quote for the installation of Xpel on my C7 bumper, half hood, mirrors, rocker panel, and inside the door opening for $1,425.00. Does this seem to about right.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a written quote from an Xpel applicator in MN for front bumper/mirrors/door edge guards @ $399 and rockers/splash guards/door handles @ $349, installed, of course.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Seems a bit high.
Have you seen their work?
Do they stand behind their work?
Will they still be in business if you do go back?

If you said yes to all the above, perhaps the extra couple of hundred is worth it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had entire front bumper, 1/3 of the hood up to the vents, mirrors, door inserts where you open the doors, door jam sills, and headlights....XPEL ultimate...$725!!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you need to either wax the vehicle or put something like CQFinest on before Xpel? I am doing a Museum Delivery and I am debating about getting them to do the Xpel. Ideally I'd like to do it locally in the Raleigh, NC area though.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Anyone have expel or a similar product installed over factory stripes, where it worked well or did not work well? Another forum member had it done at the museum and was not impressed. When I was at the museum after he was, they had stopped offering expel because they were getting too many complaints. So now I am wondering if I should pursue it with an after-market installer or not since I have stripes and want to make sure that a clear protectant coating is not obvious.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
I don't understand why people say to put the cquartz on after the xpel. I would think you want the cquartz on under the xpel.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Hello everyone. I received a quote for the installation of Xpel on my C7 bumper, half hood, mirrors, rocker panel, and inside the door opening for $1,425.00. Does this seem to about right.

It seems to be in the ballpark, if your installer is very experienced, reputable, and referenced by satisfied customers. I am an Xpel Ultimate fan. I had the installer (Clear Bra St. Louis) do the full hood, full fenders, A pillars, full nose, mirrors, headlamp lenses, rockers, door edges, sills (including the StingRay sill cover), cups, and full rear bumper sides. Here in Illinois, the bugs are hatching out and committing suicide by car on a big scale, especially at night. Last night, after driving home from a restaurant 45 minute away, the front window, front facia/nose, part way up the hood, and the mirror backs had many bugs impacted on those surfaces. I sprayed some Adam's detailer on a microfiber cloth and they wiped right off! No remains or signs that they were ever there. There is a high gloss on the Xpel. About a week after the install, I sealed the whole car surface with Xpel sealer. I am very happy with this product. I am probably too picky about the care of the car, but now I feel very comfortable taking it out where bugs, rocks, etc are present. I can just enjoy the car more. I think that you might consider thinking about how much value you put on the OCD part of protecting your Vette. Plus, as has been said before, the quality of the installer is the deal maker or deal breaker. All of this is IMHO; take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
Because that's what xpel says to do, the cquartz protects the xpel, the paint is already protected by the xpel.....
Thanks, Glen, but I have never been one to take an answer of "Because that is what the experts say." Why do they say that? What are the reasons?

From my view, unless xpel won't stick to a cquartz finish, I would want the xpel protecting everything under it. Also, a major point in the xpel is the self-healing: I would imagine that a harder coating like cquartz could negatively impact a little of its ability to heal as well. Finally, I would want the best finish possible under the xpel, and also would not want to lose the cquartz finish if something bad happened to the film.

So, I just don't get it why people put them on in an order that seems very backwards to me.

What all am I missing, technically?

Reactions: PoconoG

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Too much thinking for me Rodney, I do believe in the people who make their stuff.....xpel installtion instructions tell you explicitly to clean off all stuff on the paint before applying. Find the PDF yourself it's online.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the metro Detroit area and had the bumper, full hood, fenders, and mirrors done for $1399.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I thought the Museum cancelled their contract with their Xpel installer due to poor performance. I would confirm they have a new installer and that any authorized Xpel installer can correct any issues you may find when you get home.

Personally, I wouldn't do any Xpel application with a dealer that isn't local.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I thought the Museum cancelled their contract with their Xpel installer due to poor performance. I would confirm they have a new installer and that any authorized Xpel installer can correct any issues you may find when you get home.

Personally, I wouldn't do any Xpel application with a dealer that isn't local.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum
I agree with this 100% - the boards are choked with posts of people that needed a "refitting" - this is skilled work, to do it right...and you need a local guy...

·
Registered
504 Posts
I agree with this 100% - the boards are choked with posts of people that needed a "refitting" - this is skilled work, to do it right...and you need a local guy...
I agree, I wrestled with this question when I was setting up my museum delivery. I actually called the guy who was doing the installs for the museum and asked him some fairly simple questions, his answers made me a little uncomfortable so I decided to forego the expel install at the museum. I figured it was a lot of money to lay down for a product that could go bad if it was installed incorrectly and what would be my recourse when I was 2300 miles away and having problems with a bad install.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I can understand covering the bumper but I can't get my head or wallet around anything else and will only do the bumper if the application is seamless. I refuse to have any application on the car that leaves a visible line. To me that looks far worse than the alternative.

You guys can spend your money as you choose but I have better places to spend $1000+

Reactions: glen e

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I can understand covering the bumper but I can't get my head or wallet around anything else and will only do the bumper if the application is seamless. I refuse to have any application on the car that leaves a visible line. To me that looks far worse than the alternative.

You guys can spend your money as you choose but I have better places to spend $1000+
I mostly agree, but might add the mirrors to your list if they can be covered completely (no lines).

I'm on the fence regarding the door pockets and sills. They are subject to a lot of scratching/scuffing (especially with the wife's jewelry and heels). The wear may eventually look worse than the visible lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 20 of 22 Posts