Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Invoice came to the my dealer yesterday, so I went and paid for our new ride. I bought a few extras.... extended warranty and wheel & tire coverage. Then he explained to me about the Xzilon protective coating. Said it was much better than the 3M. Wasn't pushy but asked me to think about it. Around $750.

What's the 'deal-e-o' on this product?:confused:

Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Does it really work?

I made no commitment and told him I'd get back to him after we pick up the C7 at the NCM.\

Thanks....

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
no...it's a polymer you can buy for $60 and it's put on by a kid...huge profit for dealer....

see the detailing forum here and read about cquartz or 22PLE...much better alternatives....or just get a good polish and sealant for 75 like Adams or Blackfire...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glen...
I knew you would be a help!:)
I've owned Corvettes all my life and never tried anything like that and did just fine. Just wanted to be sure that I didn't miss some technology that I overlooked.

Thanks man!

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Invoice came to the my dealer yesterday, so I went and paid for our new ride. I bought a few extras.... extended warranty and wheel & tire coverage. Then he explained to me about the Xzilon protective coating. Said it was much better than the 3M. Wasn't pushy but asked me to think about it. Around $750.

What's the 'deal-e-o' on this product?:confused:

Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Does it really work?

I made no commitment and told him I'd get back to him after we pick up the C7 at the NCM.\

Thanks....
"Said it was much better than the 3M" -- as in paint protection film?

He's asking you to compare apples to oranges; paint sealants and coatings protect against environmental factors, whereas paint protection film protects against rock chips. What you'd ultimately be best with is a combination of the two.

That said, XZILON is far from being a protective "coating" -- durability would be 4-6 months at best. If you want a real modern coating there are much better options.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Charlie!
Yeah.... Like I said I've been detailing my show cars for years, just wanted to hear the real scoop on what the "stealership" was trying to sell me.

Mark D.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
WOW, extended warranty and tire and wheel coverage, your dealer must be so happy.......

I have yet to see a viable ROI for either of those options unless you plan on driving more then 20,000 miles per year and live in an area with a history of punishing road surfaces. With the 3 year bumper to bumper and 100,000 power train warranty why do you feel the need to drop another couple grand for insurance? And the tire/wheel coverage is money flushed down the toilet IMHO, damaged wheels are covered by your insurance and tires are half the dealer price through major retailers.

I'm not trying to be a smart a** with these comments, I just want to understand why people feel these are reasonable purchases for what will most likely be a 2nd or 3rd car driven less than 10,000 miles / year.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark:
No smart a** offense taken.:)

Here's my reason on the wheel & tire:
This just happened to me last month on our CTS Coupe. Wife had a sidewall blow-out. We do not have the coverage on this car. Replacement Bridgestone tire...cost me $450. Also have a curb dig (bad one) on one of the CTS wheels. Haven't replaced it, car is a lease, so if they say I am responsible for it when I turn in the car, that's another $900. This Road hazard cost me $800., 5 years, no deductible. With the costs of replacement wheels and tires on a Vette... it's cheap insurance. Besides, the auto insurance has a $500. deductible, which is 2/3rds the cost of the road hazard coverage.

Extended Warrenty....
1. Got a great price on it (asked not to say).
2. Adds 3 years to the existing 3 years, with only $100. deductible.
3. It is fully refundable if I do not keep the car over three years. After 3 years they still refund any unused portion.
4. Fully transferable to new owner if I sell it out-right.
5. One repair, after the first 3 years, to anything electronic on that dash would probably cost at least a grand.

That's my story.;)

·
18,670 Posts
Let's try these repair costs on for size, as we individually decide what level of financial risk we take, for extended warranty is like an insurance policy to help you defend against big ticket items. Corvette: New electronic dash display, way more than $1,500 each, trans + $6K, blown rear end $4k, motors up to $15K. Yes I have lost money on both my C5 and my C6 extended warranties, but will buy one on my C7 Z06. It's like house insurance to me, that I am willing to pay for it, but hope something catastrophic never happens, and that I lose money on my house insurance also. Don't have extended warranty on my daily drivers, nor appliances. Just what level of financial risk we are comfortable with.

By the way, just talked with Dennis Fichtner, Fichtner Chev and seven of his last eight buyers of StingRays bought his tire/and wheel warranty. To each, their own.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
"Said it was much better than the 3M" -- as in paint protection film?

He's asking you to compare apples to oranges; paint sealants and coatings protect against environmental factors, whereas paint protection film protects against rock chips. What you'd ultimately be best with is a combination of the two.

That said, XZILON is far from being a protective "coating" -- durability would be 4-6 months at best. If you want a real modern coating there are much better options.
Agreed. A customer of mine with a SS Camaro just contacted me a couple weeks back saying the dealership contacted him saying his 6 month re-application of Xzilon was due. He asked me if it would be worth his time and when i explained to him what it was he laughed and said he'd definitely be passing :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let's try these repair costs on for size, as we individually decide what level of financial risk we take, for extended warranty is like an insurance policy to help you defend against big ticket items. Corvette: New electronic dash display, way more than $1,500 each, trans + $6K, blown rear end $4k, motors up to $15K. Yes I have lost money on both my C5 and my C6 extended warranties, but will buy one on my C7 Z06. It's like house insurance to me, that I am willing to pay for it, but hope something catastrophic never happens, and that I lose money on my house insurance also. Don't have extended warranty on my daily drivers, nor appliances. Just what level of financial risk we are comfortable with.

By the way, just talked with Dennis Fichtner, Fichtner Chev and seven of his last eight buyers of StingRays bought his tire/and wheel warranty. To each, their own.
John...
For some reason I thought you may have agreed. I don't do appliances either.... now those are rip-off's. Can be as high as 15% of the cost of the product being covered!

Great minds think alike!;)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
" Also have a curb dig (bad one) on one of the CTS wheels."

Please correct me if I'm wrong but anytime I asked about the wheel package covering "curb" damage I was told it doesn't.

"Tire warranty plans pay in full or in part for the replacement or repair of damaged tires and/or rims from "road hazards." Road hazards are defined as pot holes, debris, nails, wood, and other hazards found in the road. Curbs, sidewalks, and stone walls are not road hazards. This is an important distinction to consider when deciding if tire insurance is right for you."

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I'd have to see the specifics on the road hazard coverage to see what is actually covered on curb damage because I too had heard the wheel needs to be unserviceable for the coverage to kick it. If it replaces a curbed wheel then it may be worth it but I assume they require a repair vs. a replacement if it's not totaled. As for tires, just stop by Discount Tire, they will sell you a road hazard warranty for about $50 / tire. Dropping your insurance deductible to $250 will also only add about $50 per year, probably less. So, for about 1/4 the cost of the wheel plan you end up with the same or better coverage.

As for the list of hard parts in Elegant's post, everything other than the dash is covered under the 5 year, 100,000 mile power train warranty. I'm not concerned with the dash, in 40 years having owned 50+ vehicles I've only replaced dash boards on restorations. The odds of the dash dying within any of these extended warranty periods is so low I'm willing to take the risk.

If you haven't guessed I'm not a fan of any of these insurance policies but it's all about your level of risk tolerance. Mine is pretty high.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'll stick my neck out here and say that I did have Xzilon put on my 2010 ZR1. It was a black car and after it was applied, the car definitely looked better. I had it done at a dealership on a Saturday, which was an off day. The guy who does it had no other work that day. I got it done for $90, and I tipped him another $25.

A couple of weeks after I had it done, I started to think how it would react if I waxed it with Jax Wax. Low & Behold. It truly looked better! Nothing, but nothing stuck to that car. Bugs, bird do-do, tree sap, what ever. A California duster and a little detailing spray would keep me away from soap & water for months.

The guy gave me a can of the stuff for touchups but he never said I'd need to reapply it in six months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I apologize that I lift an old subject.
But nevertheless xzilon works or not?
Whether the effect at least sticks to 2 years?

And what alternative means which actually work are?

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I apologize that I lift an old subject.
But nevertheless xzilon works or not?
Whether the effect at least sticks to 2 years?

And what alternative means which actually work are?
Im not a big fan of the xzilon stuff...ive come behind a fair share of cars that have had it applied and while its ok at first, it'll wear off. If you want something to go 2 years or over, I'd look up CQuartz Finest. It's something you would have to have an authorized installer apply but well worth it. I and a few others have posted write ups of C7's we have detailed and applied Finest too..shouldnt be too hard to find :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im not a big fan of the xzilon stuff...ive come behind a fair share of cars that have had it applied and while its ok at first, it'll wear off. If you want something to go 2 years or over, I'd look up CQuartz Finest. It's something you would have to have an authorized installer apply but well worth it. I and a few others have posted write ups of C7's we have detailed and applied Finest too..shouldnt be too hard to find :)
Thanks for your answer.

I am interested in this product since it is interesting to me as business.
I look for really effective product which works.
I.e. xzilon doesn't work? And the effect quickly leaves?

p.s. Personally I didn't face, but CQuartz already is available in our market.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Thanks for your answer.

I am interested in this product since it is interesting to me as business.
I look for really effective product which works.
I.e. xzilon doesn't work? And the effect quickly leaves?

p.s. Personally I didn't face, but CQuartz already is available in our market.

Thanks
Its a product that doesn't do all they claim it does. You're better off walking away from it and getting the CQuartz.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Allstars is trying to take on a good product for his business is the way I read it. Cquartz finest and opti coat pro are probably taken. Does anyone have any other alternatives that are good he can sell?

maybe 22PLE?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
The way he words it is a little confusing... But If I gather that CQ Finest is taken, get CQ UK.

22PLE requires a big initial investment I've heard...

Optimum will certify anyone for Opti-Coat Pro.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I plan on doing the CQ Finest when my vette arrives. I am in southern Oregon and the installer is the only one between Portland and San Francisco. I am planning on taking my wife's Black Tahoe into him for paint correction and CQ Finest treatment, the quote is $1,500.00 is this a typical price for a SUV and what would a vette price level be at?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts