Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my area in South Florida I find it interesting that I met a 16 year old boy that just got his first car... A red C7.. I also met a 20 year old young man with a loaded white Z51 and just earlier this evening a 21 y/o girl that got one for a college graduation gift!! What a strange population of Stingray owners here in SoFlo.... I guess GM's marketing to the youngsters is really working!!! It only took me 43 years to be able to afford my first new one...

·
Registered
957 Posts
In my area in South Florida I find it interesting that I met a 16 year old boy that just got his first car... A red C7.. I also met a 20 year old young man with a loaded white Z51 and just earlier this evening a 21 y/o girl that got one for a college graduation gift!! What a strange population of Stingray owners here in SoFlo.... I guess GM's marketing to the youngsters is really working!!! It only took me 43 years to be able to afford my first new one...
No way I would buy a 16 year old a car with that much power. I raised a son. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
579 Posts
What you paid for your own car? You crazy....:rolleyes:

·
18,670 Posts
Regarding Lagunavette's post, great for Corvette and simultaneously what a poor way to teach/learn life's values. Also hope folks who just or recently got their license, can safely handle its incredible power.

Wow!

·
Registered
209 Posts
What a huge mistake. I have two sons and would never have given them a C7, or corvette of any year, for a first car. That is irresponsible. Even if you have the money to pay for the car and insurance, it's irresponsible to give a child that kind of power.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
It's southeast Florida....go look at Pinecrest school parking lot when in session off cypress rd...everything is 50k and over...no diff than 90210 or other concentrations of wealth on the map. We had 18 vettes the other day together in pompano, all were over 30, most over 50.....

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
We'll be reading about him when he wraps it around a pole. Agree with anyone else money or not a parent should be responsible, let the kid learn how to drive first they have no driving instincts as this point.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My son's first car in high school was a grand national...hot car. Very fast.
When he asked me about it I said sure as long as you pay for it. We had a great time looking for the car. The experience turned out to be real cool for both of us.

Who are you to judge someone who is 16 driving a new vette. Maybe he's an A student. Who knows what the situation is.
I had a friend in high school who drove a vette . He absolutely handled it. Still remember that car. HOT!
I drove a 396 Camaro vert back in high school. Played gigs on the weekend to pay for it.
Had a blast with that car.
Responsibility is a good thing at that age.
Again, before one judges know the facts.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I'm not judging my comments were based on facts so ok here are the facts:

Teenage Driver Crash Risk Factors
The traffic accident rates for 16- to 19-year old drivers are higher than those for any other age group. What causes teenage drivers to be such risky drivers? The following is a list of their primary risk factors.

Poor hazard detection
The ability to detect hazards in the driving environment depends upon perceptual and information-gathering skills and involves properly identifying stimuli as potential threats. It takes time for young novice drivers to acquire this ability.

Low risk perception
Risk perception involves subjectively assessing the degree of threat posed by a hazard and one's ability to deal with the threat. Young novice drivers tend to underestimate the crash risk in hazardous situations and overestimate their ability to avoid the threats they identify.

Risk Taking
Teenagers tend to take more risks while driving partly due to their overconfidence in their driving abilities. Young novice drivers are more likely to engage in risky behaviors like speeding, tailgating, running red lights, violating traffic signs and signals, making illegal turns, passing dangerously, and failure to yield to pedestrians.

Not wearing seat belts
Teenagers tend to wear safety belts less often than older drivers. Why?

Lack of skill
Novice teenage drivers have not yet completely mastered basic vehicle handling skills and safe-driving knowledge they need to drive safely.

Alcohol and drugs
Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs is a common cause of serious crashes, especially fatal ones, involving teenage drivers. Teenagers who drink and drive are at much greater risk of serious crashes than are older drivers with equal concentrations of alcohol in their blood.

Carrying passengers
For teenagers, the risk of being in a crash increases when they transport passengers-the fatality risk of drivers aged 16-17 years is 3.6 times higher when they are driving with passengers than when they are driving alone, and the relative risk of a fatal crash increases as the number of passengers increases. Passengers who are age peers may distract the teen drivers and encourage them to take more risks, especially for young males riding with young male drivers.

Night driving
The per mile crash rate for teenaged drivers is 3 times higher after 9:00 pm during the day. This is because the task of driving at night is more difficult; they have less experience driving at night than during the day; they are more sleep deprived, and/or because teenage recreational driving, which often involves alcohol, is more likely to occur at night.

FATALITIES IN CRASHES INVOLVING YOUNG (15- TO 20- YEAR-OLD) DRIVERS

State - Young Drivers - Passengers of Young Drivers - Occupants of Other Vehicles - Non-Occupants - Total
FLORIDA 195 106 153 62 516

Florida was the 3rd highest after Texas and CA.

"Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for U.S. teens. In 2010, seven teens ages 16 to 19 died every day from motor vehicle injuries. Per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are three times more likely than drivers aged 20 and older to be in a fatal crash"

There are your facts let me know if you need more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm not judging my comments were based on facts so ok here are the facts:

Teenage Driver Crash Risk Factors
The traffic accident rates for 16- to 19-year old drivers are higher than those for any other age group. What causes teenage drivers to be such risky drivers? The following is a list of their primary risk factors.

Poor hazard detection
The ability to detect hazards in the driving environment depends upon perceptual and information-gathering skills and involves properly identifying stimuli as potential threats. It takes time for young novice drivers to acquire this ability.

Low risk perception
Risk perception involves subjectively assessing the degree of threat posed by a hazard and one's ability to deal with the threat. Young novice drivers tend to underestimate the crash risk in hazardous situations and overestimate their ability to avoid the threats they identify.

Risk Taking
Teenagers tend to take more risks while driving partly due to their overconfidence in their driving abilities. Young novice drivers are more likely to engage in risky behaviors like speeding, tailgating, running red lights, violating traffic signs and signals, making illegal turns, passing dangerously, and failure to yield to pedestrians.

Not wearing seat belts
Teenagers tend to wear safety belts less often than older drivers. Why?

Lack of skill
Novice teenage drivers have not yet completely mastered basic vehicle handling skills and safe-driving knowledge they need to drive safely.

Alcohol and drugs
Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs is a common cause of serious crashes, especially fatal ones, involving teenage drivers. Teenagers who drink and drive are at much greater risk of serious crashes than are older drivers with equal concentrations of alcohol in their blood.

Carrying passengers
For teenagers, the risk of being in a crash increases when they transport passengers-the fatality risk of drivers aged 16-17 years is 3.6 times higher when they are driving with passengers than when they are driving alone, and the relative risk of a fatal crash increases as the number of passengers increases. Passengers who are age peers may distract the teen drivers and encourage them to take more risks, especially for young males riding with young male drivers.

Night driving
The per mile crash rate for teenaged drivers is 3 times higher after 9:00 pm during the day. This is because the task of driving at night is more difficult; they have less experience driving at night than during the day; they are more sleep deprived, and/or because teenage recreational driving, which often involves alcohol, is more likely to occur at night.

FATALITIES IN CRASHES INVOLVING YOUNG (15- TO 20- YEAR-OLD) DRIVERS

State - Young Drivers - Passengers of Young Drivers - Occupants of Other Vehicles - Non-Occupants - Total
FLORIDA 195 106 153 62 516

Florida was the 3rd highest after Texas and CA.

"Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for U.S. teens. In 2010, seven teens ages 16 to 19 died every day from motor vehicle injuries. Per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are three times more likely than drivers aged 20 and older to be in a fatal crash"

There are your facts let me know if you need more.
I honestly don't agree, the car is as fast as your foot makes it go. I am 19 years old and just received my artic white z51 last week. I am a licensed professional race car driver through Skip Barber, SCCA, and have also race many faces for the rolex series. No disrespect but I think I am more in control of the car then anyone over the age of 50 is that has never been on a race course. Also I am a straight A student that balances my racing career with school. I don't understand why it is so important or even a topic as to who can have this gorgeous car labeling people by their age. Just one more thing I bought this car myself.. I am a realtor here in south florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
220 Posts
R u a policeman? Just wondering.
I can give you similar stats for peop over 30 people over 40 and especially people over 50.
The average age for vette owners is over 60.
That certainly scares me more than teen age drivers.
I have a friend that's 78 that owns a c6.
I say god bless!
What say u!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Your facts are wrong. Enjoy your day.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
C7vette...try and understand you are not the norm....look thru others eyes, esp your other 19 year old friends....
And you'll see what others (except Frankie as usual, lol) are trying to say....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, I did not start this thread to analyze who is capable of driving a corvette. I was merely stating that I have notice a few YOUNGER owners than usual. This is a good thing for the Corvette image...I do not agree with a wealthy parent buying any $60-70,000 car for a youngster, corvette, Bimmer, Porsche or Benz just to name a few....However, if a 19 year old is entrepreneurial and can afford one on his own, and is also a "Safe Driver", then good for you and enjoy!!!! Lets all be friends!!! Happy Holidays!!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
C7vette there is a difference between a 16 year old driver and a 19 old who has been driving a few years. Also most 19 year old drivers are not licensed professional race car drivers. I agree you are the exception not the norm. My 16 year old son scare the s$%& out of me when he drove at 19 I was a lot more comfortable. My point is you need time behind the wheel to gain experience not just for yourself but how to react to some of the other idiot drivers out there. The accident may not have been their fault but they might have been able to prevent it.

Frankie I know there are stats for every age group, if a 40 year old just started to drive today I would put them in the same age group as a 16 year old.

I also agree older drivers can be just as dangerous as they loose reaction time, night time blindness etc.

I'm sure there are some outstanding responsible 16 year olds out there but that's the exception not the rule and parents play an important role in teaching and enforcing safe driving.

A C7 is a very safe car to drive "when" all of the driving features are left on. However when these features are turned off this car can become very dangerous very quickly. Look how these cars drive just in the cold weather which has already surprised a few C7 owners here. When I had my Camaro and was on the Camaro forum a lot of young drivers bought these cars, almost every week I read how an owner wreck their car, why? In most cases they had turned off the traction control and the car got away from them. These cars for the most part are street legal race cars and need to be respected as such.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Agreed...
Just can't make a blanket statement.
There are some that can be cool at a young age...
Give em a chance to be responsible. You might b surprised.

That's all I'm saying...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Agreed...
Just can't make a blanket statement.
There are some that can be cool at a young age...
Give em a chance to be responsible. You might b surprised.

That's all I'm saying...
I agree, honestly wasn't trying to make a blanket statement if it came across that way. I took this to heart because when my son was in high school he had a friend and neighbor who I met just a couple a weeks before he was killed in an automobile accident who was into cars and was going to make it his career and was very responsible and a good kid.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts