Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, id like to know what you guys are getting! i havent seen many people discuss their times on this forum, so i thought id ask :)

For me, launch control is a joke, and the best i can do on my own is a 4.5 0-60... Im launching at about 2k RPM in track mode, getting very little wheelspin while the car accelerates pretty quickly.
ive seen a few members on other forums achieve anywhere from 3.9 to 4.2! You guys have any tips for a newbie?

Shes a z51 7 speed with mag suspension and NPP.

·
Registered
137 Posts
7 SPD manual z51. 4.4 is my best, launching at 2k with some wheel spin in beginning. But that is better than my lower rpm launches with no wheel spin. Which were between 4.5 and 4.9 depending. At basically a no launch, about 1k, I can still achieve at 5.1 or 2. After I got the 4.4 I stopped. Bc if I can get a 4.4 at 2k with some spinning wheels the first 15 ft, I can fathom that if I got a better road with better grip, I'd dip below 4. Would have to. No reason to keep beating up my car now.....at least not at the rate of the 40 Launches I did I'm a two day period : )

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
We actually have done a thread on this earlier. At any rate I have done two 0-60s in RedHot, same conditions opposite direction runs, both without launch control and ran both at 4.2. I feel certain I could do better since I did not push it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
40 launches in 2 days!?! haahahahah, nicely done! so far it seems that around 4.5 is what our group on this forum can manage...i wonder how those other guys managed 4.2's?

josh, try it in track mode then go to race settings in the sub menu. Im going to give it another shot tonight, hoping to reach at least a 4.3. might do a little burnout before hand to get the tires sticky ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We actually have done a thread on this earlier. At any rate I have done two 0-60s in RedHot, same conditions opposite direction runs, both without launch control and ran both at 4.2. I feel certain I could do better since I did not push it.
Any tips on your technique? Maybe an insight as to what RPM's your launching at, and settings?

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
Any tips on your technique? Maybe an insight as to what RPM's your launching at, and settings?
I did them quite a while back so I don't recall my rpm at launch so to speak, I tried to moderate so minimal tire spin. Here is a shot of one of the runs 0 to 60.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
40 launches in 2 days!?! haahahahah, nicely done! so far it seems that around 4.5 is what our group on this forum can manage...i wonder how those other guys managed 4.2's?

josh, try it in track mode then go to race settings in the sub menu. Im going to give it another shot tonight, hoping to reach at least a 4.3. might do a little burnout before hand to get the tires sticky ;)
Yeah. I was so determined. I was in sport mode btw. Asphalt. But not new sticky asphalt. Old tired road.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My best was yesterday. 4.1 in E mode, lefty in drive. Foot on brake released it and hit gas. If I use launch control there is a lag. I've tried different ways and 4.4 was my best till yesterday. One more thing I switched out tires new for the Michelin all season run flats which specs out about .9 inch narrower.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My best was yesterday. 4.1 in E mode, lefty in drive. Foot on brake released it and hit gas. If I use launch control there is a lag. I've tried different ways and 4.4 was my best till yesterday. One more thing I switched out tires new for the Michelin all season run flats which specs out about .9 inch narrower.
Are you saying the crappier tires made the difference, or that economy mode made the difference?? What made the difference between all the other times and the 4.1?

·
Registered
307 Posts
tried it twice: 4.5 in touring mode, 4.2 in sport mode [ Z51, AT, NPP, all season michelin tires, turnpike surface]. no launch mode--just simply floored it at same time released the brake--and got very slight spinning of wheels. is the acceleration rate supposed to be faster in track mode than in weather or econ mode? is launch mode supposed to produce faster acceleration? what combination of techniques is supposed to generate the fastest acceleration? im presuming that with summer stock tires, i could break 4.0.

·
Registered
504 Posts
tried it twice: 4.5 in touring mode, 4.2 in sport mode [ Z51, AT, NPP, all season michelin tires, turnpike surface]. no launch mode--just simply floored it at same time released the brake--and got very slight spinning of wheels. is the acceleration rate supposed to be faster in track mode than in weather or econ mode? is launch mode supposed to produce faster acceleration? what combination of techniques is supposed to generate the fastest acceleration? im presuming that with summer stock tires, i could break 4.0.
Put it in sport mode and give the engine a rev, now do the same in track mode and you will hear and see (tach) the difference in throttle response, it is much quicker and cleaner. Wait 5 seconds between turning the mode selector to give the system a chance to lock in the new setting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tried again yesterday and got a 4.4, this time just revving a little higher than before. Im going to try one revving at 4k, just to see what happens...lets hope for a 3.9! ahahahah kidding :p

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Not sure how you guys are going to take this, but I apologize in advance if anyone takes this the wrong way. If your trying to best your zero to 60 times on a paved public street, the variances in the surfaces are infinite as practically impossible for any consistency. If your trying to do this on pavement, try heat cycling the tires. (Short Burnout) just to hopefully raise the surface temperature of the rubber. Don't do any short churppies before you try your launch, as you'll drop the surface temp of the tire immediately. If your trying to do it on pavement, then try to find the smoothest pavement possible (Nonporous or rough). If your trying this multiple times, then try to place your tires in any previous tire marks you might have made in order to place rubber on rubber. For those of you that might have access to a cement surface, all the better. Oh! And deactivate any kind of traction control in the process. In trying to make your attempts on a more ideal surface, hopefully you'll be able to launch at a higher RPM and still get traction. For those of you that are really serious about this, try going out to your local drag strip where they've treated the starting line with VHT traction compound. Or you might be able to locate some VHT at your local Speed Shop. Good luck and I'll be interested to hear your results should you take my advice here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
3.6.jpg 3.61.jpg I seem to have not yet figured out the 0-60 since I get a slight delay as soon as I depress the gas pedal, the timer starts so I set it to 5-60 and did that in 3.6 seconds. I'm still exploring the differences between the touring, sport and track settings...The things insane.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure how you guys are going to take this, but I apologize in advance if anyone takes this the wrong way. If your trying to best your zero to 60 times on a paved public street, the variances in the surfaces are infinite as practically impossible for any consistency. If your trying to do this on pavement, try heat cycling the tires. (Short Burnout) just to hopefully raise the surface temperature of the rubber. Don't do any short churppies before you try your launch, as you'll drop the surface temp of the tire immediately. If your trying to do it on pavement, then try to find the smoothest pavement possible (Nonporous or rough). If your trying this multiple times, then try to place your tires in any previous tire marks you might have made in order to place rubber on rubber. For those of you that might have access to a cement surface, all the better. Oh! And deactivate any kind of traction control in the process. In trying to make your attempts on a more ideal surface, hopefully you'll be able to launch at a higher RPM and still get traction. For those of you that are really serious about this, try going out to your local drag strip where they've treated the starting line with VHT traction compound. Or you might be able to locate some VHT at your local Speed Shop. Good luck and I'll be interested to hear your results should you take my advice here.
I dont see how anyone can take this the wrong way....This is actually great advice!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I haven't launched mine yet-how does it perform? In Sport Mode 7 speed does it skid a bit? Just wondering if I should first try in a parking lot..not sure how much "launch" it really gives..

·
Registered
307 Posts
im not sure how this car is internally configured, but its possible that if you set from 5-60, the clock starts once you hit 5 mph. that being the case, you should be in the high 2's.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts