Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very surprised, when looking at the April, 2014 issue of Magazine Corvette, to read the results of their comparative review of three StingRay convertibles, each with a different factory suspension package. Remember the different debates, including on this forum, whether the Z-51 with MSRC could, when set in the tour setting, have a softer ride than the vase suspension. Here's their testing results:

magazinecorvette said:
Ordering MSRC along with Z-51 is the ultimate no-brainer. First, it offers better ride than the base suspension. Second, it absorbs bumps better than either the base or FE3 (Z-51 without MSRC) suspension. Third, its stiffness varies both on the Driver's Mode Selector positioning -- soft in Tour, firm in Track -- and what the road underneath is doing.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Very surprised, when looking at the April, 2014 issue of Magazine Corvette, to read the results of their comparative review of three StingRay convertibles, each with a different factory suspension package. Remember the different debates, including on this forum, whether the Z-51 with MSRC could, when set in the tour setting, have a softer ride than the vase suspension. Here's their testing results:
The way I read it is they said better ride, not softer ride. If you are a hard core enthusiast the base suspension may be too soft hence not the "better" ride. The bump absorption is a byproduct of the computer controlled shocks IMHO, again, not because the suspension is softer.

I think it was one of the engineers who laid out the list of softest to hardest, wasn't it? And they listed it Base, FE4 Tour, FE3 and FE4 Sport, FE4 Track.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think I will like having additional ride choices. It may be more choice than most folks want by adding MSRC to the Z-51, but I found so many different roads and tours in our interstate travels that having lots of choices enhanced our enjoyment with our C6.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
The ride I liked around town the best and on the highway was by far the base car , after trying all 3....we all have diff perspectives.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The ride I liked around town the best and on the highway was by far the base car , after trying all 3....we all have diff perspectives.
I agree with you glen e. That's what makes this Vette so very special. So many great choices!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly, we each want something different from our car's ride.

At the same time, folks should not fear negative effects of adding MSRC to the Z-51 package, compared to just the Z-51 option without MSRC, as the article concluded, "there is a real increase in ride comfort and no detriment to handling."

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those wondering about each of the three convertibles suspension's strengths, you could go on line to Magazine Corvette, and search out their April, 2014 issue.

Thanks to "Steveinaz" for further information on this subject being found here:

Corvette Magazine :: Sweet Spot : 2014 Convertible

·
Registered
72 Posts
I apologize for not seeing your earlier post about the same issue. I just always try to keep my eye open for solid reviews and information to share with everyone. Thanks for the mention.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
During the 70 minute video on this site, (I can't find it right now) the engineer does say that the base car without the MSRC has a better touring ride.

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yes, that's the video. Well worth the time to view it all.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Yeah, I don't see MSRC being offered on a base StingRay. The only reason people would do that is to stiffen up the ride. But I would think almost all the people who wanted that would also want Z51 goodies. Also, if MSRC were offered on the base, it would increase the number of build variations, probably require extra engineering integration tests, etc.

I could be wrong, but I don't see this happening.

Reactions: mjw930

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Many believe MSRC will be a stand alone option for the '15 StingRay (as I do), just as it was offered as a stand alone C6 option after the first year.

MSRC not only allows you to firm up the ride, compared to the touring setting, by about 40% max, and also soften up the ride by about that same amount (again compared to the touring setting). If MSRC were provided on the base car next year, it could help that car be both firmer and softer riding, as pavement and other factors were considered -- all by the DMS selector.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does anyone have information on the C7 base suspension re the C6 base suspension. I traded in my'07 because of rear-end hop and went for the '08 w/Z51. That solved the rear-end hop problem but the harshness of the Z51 without MSRC was almost as annoying. Now it seems that it will cost $5,800 to get the "Goldilocks" suspension.

·
Registered
952 Posts
my 12 has rear end hop but after many visit s to dealer and looking on forums, I learned that it is because of the wider tires and short turning radiuses..it went away on the C-7 because the tires are smaller than on the c-6's, at least on my Grand Sport. I understand that the Z-51 option with larger tires does have wheel hop or chatter for the same reasons and it is harmless if not irritating.....

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
The way I read it is they said better ride, not softer ride. If you are a hard core enthusiast the base suspension may be too soft hence not the "better" ride. The bump absorption is a byproduct of the computer controlled shocks IMHO, again, not because the suspension is softer.

I think it was one of the engineers who laid out the list of softest to hardest, wasn't it? And they listed it Base, FE4 Tour, FE3 and FE4 Sport, FE4 Track.
Agree with your comment about softest to hardest. That is what I recall a GM rep stating in an early video. Z51 without mag shocks is between Z51 with mag shocks set at Touring and Z51 with mag shocks set at Sport with Track the stiffest.
Even a minimum setting with mag shocks will not offset stiffer springs, a larger front sway bar and one in the rear that the base suspension doesn't have. In addition the Bilstein shocks on the Z51 without mag shocks, like any quality shock, has variable valving that adjusts mechanically with springs, etc adjusting valve size etc. it's not adjusted via computer input but on smooth roads it provides "softer"control. The mag shocks can also handle washboard roads so it will depend on the roads where the various suspension is compared.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Z51/MRC and I finally got to drive a base coupe. The base coupe is just a notch softer than touring mode on MRC. So, it is still a firm ride and will be perfect for many stingray owners.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just got back from a 1000 mile drive to Yankee Stadium and back and I can say that the Z51 magnetic ride combo worked fantastic. Totally comfortable in Eco mode on the way down, 9 straight hours in the drivers seat and my wife managed to talk me into walking down to Times Square. I put it in Sport when I got in heavy traffic in downtown Manhatten to beat all the taxi's to the openings :) but the bad (really bad) road in NYC pounded the car pretty hard. Back into Touring and it sucked up the bumps great.

Reactions: elegant
1 - 20 of 31 Posts