Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stupid question
not sure if my 2014 Corvette Convertible is a Base engine or Z-51
How do you Tell?

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,252 Posts
Are your rotors smooth or slotted? Slotted is Z51 and smooth is base stingray. Wheels are 20/19 vs 19/18 base.

AA09FA08-BC89-483F-89EB-3B3E30A97A9F.jpeg

Also, reference this thread.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
As Kyle noted, the slotted rotors on the Z51 are an easy way to visually see the difference if the rotors are OEM. Another sure fire way is to look at the engine. The Z51 has the additional oil reservoir for its dry sump system that the non-Z51 wet sump does not have.

Another very easy and full proof way to know is to look at your VIN and use the attached vin decoder image.

·
Registered
2014 Z51
48 Posts
Read the Vin #. It will indicate. If you have trouble reading the Vin, there’s an app for that.

·
Registered
2014 Z51
48 Posts
I forgot to mention your wheels. The wheels on the Z51 are unique to the Z51.

if you’re new - welcome! Go ahead and post a photo or two of your Corvette.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
I forgot to mention your wheels. The wheels on the Z51 are unique to the Z51.

if you’re new - welcome! Go ahead and post a photo or two of your Corvette.
Wheels can be a way to tell if they are OEM, but since many exchanged their wheels, it is not always a viable means to tell the difference. The VIN is full proof.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,252 Posts
Yellow Highlights Z51s so your 5th character of VIN should be G,H,I,J,K,L or M. If the character is either an A,B,C,D or E then you have base Stingray.
15B7A402-660E-45DB-AAF6-708E3A2FB3CD.jpeg

As Kyle noted, the slotted rotors on the Z51 are an easy way to visually see the difference if the rotors are OEM. Another sure fire way is to look at the engine. The Z51 has the additional oil reservoir for its dry sump system that the non-Z51 wet sump does not have.

Another very easy and full proof way to know is to look at your VIN and use the attached vin decoder image.

View attachment 280839

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Yellow Highlights Z51s so your second character of VIN should be G,H,I,J,K,L or M. If the character is either an A,B,C,D or E then you have base Stingray.
You mean the fifth character, not the second character.

Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)

·
Registered
11 Posts
stupid question
How do you Tell?
The Z51 is dry sump vs standard stingray wet sump. Brake rotors might have been updated so other than vin you can look under hood. If dry sump Z51 you will find a larger oil tank between fuse box and passenger fire wall. If space is open it is a wet sump non- z51

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
under the hood this is a Z51 model, you see dry sump system where oil goes. Base corvette oil is put through the drivers side valve cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
stupid question
How do you Tell?
Also from the front, the Z-51 only has the two outboard rubber air deflectors (a center air deflector will be found between the 2 outboard deflectors on the non Z51 cars).
Mike

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
It is worth reiterating, visual differences can be altered and thus misleading. The VIN data and using the above linked VIN decoder is a pretty foolproof means.

Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,252 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.