Stingray Corvette Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Z Not <$100K Every Option!

Why A Z06 Under $100K "With Every Option" Is Not Happening!

It has been widely attributed that a GM spokesperson said that "you can get a Z06 with EVERY option for less than $100,000." That is not possible.

We see this tag line,"every option under $100K" in lots of places. Saw it repeatedly posted elsewhere, noting it was a statement made by Tadge Juechter; also saw a print that that statement was made by Harlan Charles; and, separately, someone said that a third GM spokesperson supposedly made the statement. Have looked at every Z06 document issued by GM and never seen that attributed statement; and also have looked at over 15 Z06 videos, yet again never seen a GM spokesperson make that statement. Yet that statement keeps getting quoted. Here's what I think.

Either a GM person, off camera, got carried away and made that statement, when he/she meant to add one key word to it, or the person who heard that spokesperson's statement missed that one key word, and thus left it out of his/her reporting.

That one word is performance! Consequently, one of the following statements is true, and one is completely inaccurate.

Statement 1: "You can get a Z06 with every option for less than $100,000.". This statement is not true!

Statement 2: "You can get a Z06 with every PERFORMANCE option for less than $100,000.". This statement is very-probably true.

For those who are already deciding on their Z06 option list who have a budget, the omission or addition of that one word difference between those two statements is a key factor.

For a 2015 Z06 to have every option and still be under $100,000, GM would have to have price the base Z06 at $53,240, AND throw in three "major freebies," (NPP, FE4:and Z-51 -- which collectively cost $5,790 in the StingRay).[/B ]. Not possible! Doing the math...

A) Price of every 2014 StingRay option (assuming no price increase in any of these options for 2015)

Destination Charge $995.00
3LT Preferred Equipment Group $8,005.00
D30 Custom Color and Trim Combinations $590.00
PIN Customer Selectable VIN $5,000.00
R8C Corvette Museum Delivery: Includes CFX (Plaque) $990.00
ERI Battery Protection Package $100.00
J6E Yellow Brake Calipers $595.00
VK3 Front License Plate Bracket & R7E $15.00
FAY Carbon Fiber Interior Appearance Package $995.00
IWE Sueded Microfiber-Wrapped Trim Package $995.00
G8A Velocity Yellow Tintcoat $995.00
C2M Carbon Fiber/Transparent Dual Roof Package $2,995.00
AE4 Competition / Performance Sport Seats With Sueded Inserts $2,495.00
TTV Carbon Flash Painted Spoiler & Outside Mirrors $100.00
MYC 6 Speed Paddle Shift Automatic Transmission $1,350.00
Q7E Chrome Aluminum Wheels $1,995.00
PBC Engine Build Experience $5,800 (2013 option; returning for 2015 MY)

The above options total $34,010, again do not include NPP, FE4, nor Z-51 StingRay options costs. Those options do NOT include any additional Z06 performance options:

B) Z06 Performance Options:

1) Stage 1 to Stage 2 with exposed CF aero package (est. $5,000); and,
2) from Stage 2 to the Stage 3, adding "Z07 package" upgrade (est. $6,000).
3) PDR Performance Data Recorder (est. $1,750)

Total additional Z06 performance options= $12,750 (est.)

Doing the previous "math backwards," we take a hypothetical "$100,000 Z06 with every option" price, and subtract the $34,010 in StingRay options above and get an initial, maximum Z06 entry price.

$100,000-$34,010 = $65,990.

We then subtract the estimated Z06 performance options' total of $12,750...

$65,990-$12,750 = $53,240 for a base 2015 Z06! Clearly that is not possible.

And of course, that also assumes GM will also throws in all of the Z06 development costs, and all of the material purchase costs for the following Z06 enhancements: bigger tires/wheels/brakes, CF torque tube, the eight-speed automatic transmission, bigger fenders and fascias, the LT4 supercharged motor and more. And, that also assumes that GM will not increase the 2015 base pricing for every Corvette.

Summary: A Z06 with every option below $100,000 "ain't happening." However, a Z06 under $100K with just every performance option is a probable certainty.

If you choose to load up the 2015 Z06 will most every option, think you will be very lucky to pay less than $115,000 -- even if you pay MSRP. To avoid this, to be under $100K, we are going to have be be very selective in our option choices, or deliberately choose to built the lightest-weight Z07 track version possible (well, maybe adding in a couple of lesser cost "niceties").

All this math does not mean that the Z06 will not be a screaming bargain, and that it will not start at the $82,000 price point that I believe that it will. Hopefully, my estimate is high, and those of you predicting a $75K to $79K entry price are right!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Considering myself a "Sheldon" (and yes, that's a "Big Bang" reference) - I completely agree.....

My presumption is (and I could quite obviously be wrong) that the spirit of the comment is that you can have most all of the "regular" options and be below $100k...although what's a "regular" option is debatable in itself.

I personally would not consider either the selectable VIN, nor the "build your engine" as "regulars" - that would drop about $11k off the sticker, bringing things much closer to the $100k point.

None the less...the actual comment, based on your math, is obviously in error......

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally would not consider either the selectable VIN, nor the "build your engine" as "regulars" - that would drop about $11k off the sticker, bringing things much closer to the $....
If I remember correctly (that's scary, remembering back two years), three folks choose the "Custom VIN" option and five did the "Engine Build." I am with you; I will not be spending that $11K there either.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I tend to agree that the options like the engine build and selectable VIN are so rarely ordered that whoever said that may have even forgot they were offered.

When it comes to options we are really just assuming What we know:
3 interior packages, LZ1, LZ2 and LZ3.
4 different color wheels (corrected)
Performance Data Recorder
Z07 option
3 stages of aero though I believe it's really only 2 on the Z06 as the Z07 package will only come with Stage 3 and the swapable front pieces, but I could be wrong.
A8 option

What we really don't know is:
What is included in each of the interior packages?
Which roof panel is standard?
Which seats are standard?
Will there be different color calipers offered and which color is standard?
What aero package is standard on Z07?

Just way too many options to form an option on price IMHO. I just think a base Z06 LZ1 will be mid $70's and a well equipped LZ2 with the "correct" performance options will be mid $80's and will be the bulk of the sales. Again, just personal opinion and nothing more.

Reactions: Derbo2 and elegant

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mark, you are right, i.e., so much we do not know. You did a good job above in listing what we do know too.

Couple of things I can add to our "know list." The body colored CF will be standard as it weighs six pounds less at the very top of the car, so for CG reasons, just as with the StingRay, it is standard. Also know that the GT seats are standard.

Like you, can't wait to find out what the new, "unique dark gray and new blue" interior colors look like, and what the driver-focused "color-brake up" interior means?

You raised a question that hadn't even thought about, and that is, does the Z07 come with black CF aero pieces standard -- with the exposed CF aero pieces as as option?

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Posted elsewhere (thanks Houston Z33), though awaiting finalizing as GM has stated that the interior design is still being worked on, that the unique to the Z06 "dark gray" interior, will cover 95% dash just like Kalahairi and Brownstone do. Conversely, the also unique to the Z06 "blue" interior, will be like the StingRay's Adrenaline Red and the light gray, covering the dash only in the "irregular oval" section just in front of the passenger.

This makes sense, in that everyone does not want to have too light a color on the dash, and clearly "dark gray" would fit the bill for an almost complete dash covering.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What is meant by the body coloured CF? Im wondering if that black piece/paint whatever or the engine hood is standard? That doesnt flow well with some colour rather have that as body colour standard. Also is the rear spoiler body coloured in stage one?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mark, you are right, i.e., so much we do not know. You did a good job above in listing what we do know too.

Couple of things I can add to our "know list." The body colored CF will be standard as it weighs six pounds less at the very top of the car, so for CG reasons, just as with the StingRay, it is standard. Also know that the GT seats are standard.

Like you, can't wait to find out what the new, "unique dark gray and new blue" interior colors look like, and what the driver-focused "color-brake up" interior means?

You raised a question that hadn't even thought about, and that is, does the Z07 come with black CF aero pieces standard -- with the exposed CF aero pieces as as option?
What is meant by the body coloured CF? Im wondering if that black piece/paint whatever or the engine hood is standard? That doesnt flow well with some colour rather have that as body colour standard. Also is the rear spoiler body coloured in stage one?

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The StingRay's removable roofs (as well as we also believe the Z06 roofs) come in three "options," e.g. the transparent ones, the carbon fiber roofs which are painted the same color as the primary exterior color (such as Torch Red, Laguna Blue), and the exposed carbon fiber roofs.

The hood stripe is an option on the StingRay and on the Z06. It is carbon flash metallic, just as is the lower half do the rear fascia.

The StingRay's deck spoiler is body colored unless option code TTV ($100) is chosen. That option results in the rear deck spoiler and the two door mirrors being painted carbon flash metallic. We do not yet know if option code TTV will be available on the Z06, or if some variation of it will be available on the Z06, nor do we if all stage 1 Z06's will come with all their deck spoilers body colored. We do believe that stage two and stage three (Z07) deck spoilers will probably either come black or be exposed/visible carbon fiber to match the front splitter and the "rocker extensions/side splitters" as noted in the GM "dealer fact sheet" issued on 1.13.14.

"• Available (CFZ) Black carbon-fiber ground effects or (CFV) Z06-unique visible carbon-fiber ground effects"

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At the Bash, Harlan stated that the Z07 option would be expensive, and confirmed that if you checked every box, you will be easily above $100 K, not counting estimated $5K more for a convertible.

Conversely, if you are getting a coupe without the engine build experience (estimated $5,800), without custom VIN (est. $5 K) and choosing a Stage 2 instead of the Z, it will be getting close, might still be under $100,000.

·
Registered
283 Posts
At the Bash, Harlan stated that the Z07 option would be expensive, and confirmed that if you checked every box, you will be easily above $100 K, not counting estimated $5K more for a convertible.

Conversely, if you are getting a coupe without the engine build experience (estimated $5,800), without custom VIN (est. $5 K) and choosing a Stage 2 instead of the Z, it will be getting close, might still be under $100,000.

I'd be ok with that!!!! I just want the middle performance options, as that will be plenty to keep me happy. A custom vin???? really???, thats just a lame gimmick to coax you out of 5k, haha!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd be ok with that!!!! I just want the middle performance options, as that will be plenty to keep me happy. A custom vin???? really???, thats just a lame gimmick to coax you out of 5k, haha!
Re: Custom Vin, $5k, Crazy,......does anyone know anyone that did this??

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
I know we all spend money on questionable things but..... Trying to explain that I just spent $5000 dollars so I could have a custom vin (with GM's approval) is just hilarious in it's self. "See no one else has this VIN #." "But doesn't that go for every other car???" "uh uh uh, yeah but this one is unique because I got to pick the numbers..." "And you paid someone $5k for this???" NOT WORTH IT....

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I know we all spend money on questionable things but..... Trying to explain that I just spent $5000 dollars so I could have a custom vin (with GM's approval) is just hilarious in it's self. "See no one else has this VIN #." "But doesn't that go for every other car???" "uh uh uh, yeah but this one is unique because I got to pick the numbers..." "And you paid someone $5k for this???" NOT WORTH IT....
Couldn't agree more. The only small possible reason is if someone who had a C6 and C7 Z06 and wanted matching VIN's or something along those lines. But again unless you had either the first VIN number or last it doesn't add any value whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.