Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
We know the C6 ZR1, with less torque, slightly less HP and no fancy electronic rear diff as compared with the pending Z06, can do the 1/4 in the mid-11's.

Will the C7 Z06, fully stock, have any chance of getting into the 10's? I'm sure some of the experienced drag racers out there have an educated opinion!

Traction is going to be the biggest issue, as it was for the ZR1. How much is that electronic rear diff worth on the strip?

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's questionable if the new Z06 will be faster than the ZR1, as it weighs significantly more, with not much more power. At least in a straight line. I think at best it will hit around the ZR1's time, maybe a bit slower.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Well, from the simple horsepower and torque to weight ratio, it should easily break into the 10's, however traction is going to be a major factor together with perhaps gearing. But then, the 4.56 first gear in the 8L90 transmission should help out considerably, but then again there's the traction issue. Perhaps if someone was interested enough in picking up an extra set of rear wheels and some great drag radials it may do it. The drags isn't a real favorable test for the Z06 in that in order to maximize efficiency on the drag strip often takes away a number of the most favorable characteristics of the car on the street and road course. It goes so much further beyond the strip. You might want to consider focusing more on the MPH than the elapsed time. I've seen many cars capable of running in the nines turn in the elevens simply because they weren't set up for it. If you squared off with one of them from a roll, they'd blow your doors off.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Well, from the simple horsepower and torque to weight ratio, it should easily break into the 10's, however traction is going to be a major factor together with perhaps gearing. But then, the 4.56 first gear in the 8L90 transmission should help out considerably, but then again there's the traction issue. Perhaps if someone was interested enough in picking up an extra set of rear wheels and some great drag radials it may do it. The drags isn't a real favorable test for the Z06 in that in order to maximize efficiency on the drag strip often takes away a number of the most favorable characteristics of the car on the street and road course. It goes so much further beyond the strip. You might want to consider focusing more on the MPH than the elapsed time. I've seen many cars capable of running in the nines turn in the elevens simply because they weren't set up for it. If you squared off with one of them from a roll, they'd blow your doors off.
I agree.

Additionally, I'm not so sure the e-diff will make any difference in straight line traction/acceleration. Corners surely, but straight line I'm no so sure.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I agree.

Additionally, I'm not so sure the e-diff will make any difference in straight line traction/acceleration. Corners surely, but straight line I'm no so sure.
Your absolutely right Joel. A spool in the rear wouldn't even help. The Z06 is designed for road course handling and street touring. We can't have the best in virtually everything. Even though the Z06 has pretty substantial tires in the rear, they aren't designed for straight line acceleration. I recall years ago unleashing 650+ HP and over 650 Lb. Ft. of torque at the drag strip, but it took a set of 15.5-32.5-15 wrinkle wall slicks to hook it up and that was with a drag race specific four-link rear suspension specifically tuned for the drag strip. 650 HP and 650 Lb. Ft. of torque with the horsepower and torque curves the LT4 displays would be good for about a mid-9 second pass in a drag race specific chassis, but the Z06 is soooooo much more than that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All this debate about the upcoming Stingray ZO6 makes me wonder what the Stingray ZR1 will be! I wish they'd just do it & finally put out an AWD 1000+hp Anything Killer stock that's representing the US's best when it comes to performance! That'll be the day!

·
Registered
153 Posts
All this debate about the upcoming Stingray ZO6 makes me wonder what the Stingray ZR1 will be! I wish they'd just do it & finally put out an AWD 1000+hp Anything Killer stock that's representing the US's best when it comes to performance! That'll be the day!
I'll drink to that!!

·
18,669 Posts
It's questionable if the new Z06 will be faster than the ZR1, as it weighs significantly more, with not much more power. At least in a straight line. I think at best it will hit around the ZR1's time, maybe a bit slower.
I have a different conclusion, especially as the C7 Z06 has electronic limited slip, 45 more TQ, and much better rubber. The Z06 auto, in the hands of a good driver, like "Snorman" will be in the 10.8's. (He already has a totally stock StingRay in the 11.4's.). Expecting low 130's in the quarter mile.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a different conclusion, especially as the C7 Z06 has electronic limited slip, 45 more TQ, and much better rubber. The Z06 auto, in the hands of a good driver, like "Snorman" will be in the 10.8's. (He already has a totally stock StingRay in the 11.4's.). Expecting low 130's in the quarter mile.
I hope it's faster! Regardless of quarter mile, it should be faster on a track.

·
18,669 Posts
I hope it's faster! Regardless of quarter mile, it should be faster on a track.
Already confirmed by GM! After five years of ZR1 refinements (most of which we never heard about), and several years of C6 Z06/Z07 Carbon Package refinements, the 2015 Z06, on its very first lap at Milford Proving Ground in mid-April, the Z06 handily beat the Milford track record!

And after that, all gravy, as after that first lap, the Z06 was then starting through six months of track refinements/changes, e.g. spring rates, shock rates, eLSD tuning, bushing firmness, sway bar size, aero components (both size and configuration), etc. Right how, two months of those upgrades/changes done, with approximately four more months further refinement until final production configuration.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Already confirmed by GM! After five years of ZR1 refinements (most of which we never heard about), and several years of C6 Z06/Z07 Carbon Package refinements, the 2015 Z06, on its very first lap at Milford Proving Ground in mid-April, the Z06 handily beat the Milford track record!

And after that, all gravy, as after that first lap, the Z06 was then starting through six months of track refinements/changes, e.g. spring rates, shock rates, eLSD tuning, bushing firmness, sway bar size, aero components (both size and configuration), etc. Right how, two months of those upgrades/changes done, with approximately four more months further refinement until final production configuration.
Not surprising at all. I can't wait until they post the ring time for it (if they ever do)

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Z06 has beaten the old C6 ZR1 on the proving grounds as stated above. As per GM it is the fastest Corvette they have produced. You're forgetting the old ZR1 had a six speed manual vs the 7 speed or 8 speed auto now offered.This will allow the engine to stay it it's sweet spot with not as much lag waiting for torque and hp to come up after shifts. The redesigned supercharger spins 33% faster, delivers better low end torque and response. The new Z06 has 100 more foot pounds of torque just off idle and 46 more at peak output. Combined with a flatter , broader torque curve that comes on earlier and holds longer. Toss in better rear diff and more refined launch control. The old ZR1 weighed 3333lbs, I believe if memory serves me the new Z06 is not over 3400 lbs (new aluminum frame made possible by technology advancements)....The new car has many other factors as well, such as different suspension and computer refinements. They didn't put all this together to take a step back in performance IMHO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
10.8's at 130+ is my guess based on what I have read and seen the C6 Z do in the past as the c7 is way more improved

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well the gauntlet has been thrown down guys! Here's a pass with the new Challenger Hellcat. It's impressive. The Z06 is going to need to run boys. Corners are another story...... That being said. I'm confident in the new Z. However it will need to best the old ZR1 something fierce. I have a friend on the list for a Hellcat and a second about to drop on one. Watch right to the end and enjoy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oooooo tricky guys..... Info was withheld! One thing that they do not mention in the video showing the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat is that the car being raced by Richard Rawlings is fitted with a set of super sticky drag radial racing tires. The tires are street legal but not a factory offered tire. Car is running 11.2 on the factory Perelli tires. Time to spank them with the Z!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Craig this is a beautyfull video.

I think thé Z06 gone make better beacause it's lighter and the corvette have more traction by lbs/pound.:cool:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Traction is certainly going to be an issue. I've seen videos of guys having trouble getting traction in their stock C7 stingrays. Add another 200hp and .... I guess we'll see soon enough

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
How does "Snorman" get such low 1/4 mile times with a stock C7? Is he special?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
How does "Snorman" get such low 1/4 mile times with a stock C7? Is he special?
No doubt it's a number of factors including track location (sea level), temperature, track condition but mostly, someone with a lot of experience and knowledge of how to set up a car so yes, he is special ;)

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
And a lot of experience knowing how to press the accelerator (press it too hard too fast and you waste time spinning your wheels, press it too slowly and you don't go as fast as you could), knows when and how to shift based on what he feels under his foot and what he hears from the engine, etc.

Yes, he IS special.

Reactions: elegant
1 - 20 of 49 Posts