Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
650 HP & 650 TQ!!!

First, thanks Harlan Charles for sharing these amazing results on your Facebook page, as per below, thanks Tadge Juechter for announcing this as the official SAE certified power level for the Z06, thanks to the entire Corvette team, including of course Jordan Lee's power plant team for creating this amazing LT4 supercharged beast. Appreciation also to Jalopnik for their article below, and of course to StingRay Forum members Gilles, jsvette, Movie Muscle, mjw930, glen e, RedC7 for earlier sharing this news elsewhere on this forum.

To create 500 foot pounds of torque at 1,500 RPM is an amazing accomplishment.

Jalopnik said:
Remember when we said that GM didn't have exact power figures on the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06? The guesstimates were around 625 horsepower and 635 pound-feet of twist. Nope. This leaked SAE dyno chart shows the supercharged V8 putting out 650 horsepower and 650 pound feet of torque. 'Murica!

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06: A 625 Horsepower Track Car Middle Finger
With the unveiling of the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, General Motors has done something magical.…

The new LT4 is a serious bump over the utterly insane LS9 and completely decimates the LS7. But, 500 lb-ft at 1,500 rpm? Yes, Five-hundred-pound-feet-at-fifteen-hundred-rpm.

It's no surprise that GM engineers we spoke with earlier this year say the new Z06 walks away from the old ZR1 around around the Milford Proving Grounds. But it's not all about stonking 0-60 times and quarter-mile runs. The Z06 will dance, and that's what we're looking forward to even more than a warped face and a crushed spine.
The Corvette Z06 Is Underrated... By 25 Horsepower

·
Registered
398 Posts
That torque at that rpm is insane!!! Wow!

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Yeah, it is!

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today must be Christmas!

Thinking 0-to-60 in 3.2 seconds, and the quarter mile in 10.9 with the eight speed auto will be obtainable for a skilled driver. No wonder GM said months ago, that it will beat the ZR1's 205 MPH top speed.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Cool!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
10,565 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And Car and Driver's comments, especially its title:

CarandDriver said:
2015 Corvette Z06 Output Confirmed, Blows Estimates Out Of The Water!

When the enemy is at the gates, you arm yourself and brace for an attack. When you are the enemy, you let loose a fusillade. With high-priced exotics and domestic sports cars alike in its crosshairs, we already knew the 2015 Corvette Z06 was out for blood; our deep dive on the car told us all we needed to know on that count. But official power figures had been kept secret. Now that they’re out, it’s clear that the Chevy is going to be beating down some gates.

Let’s end the suspense: The 2015 Corvette Z06’s supercharged LT4 engine will crank out 650 horsepower and 650 lb-ft of torque, each figure being 25 more than Chevrolet’s coy estimates. In fact, the Z06 fairly crushes the last-generation Corvette ZR1, which packed 638 horsepower and 604 lb-ft of torque, reinforcing the notion that that model won’t be making a return in C7 guise any time soon. And forget the last-gen Z06, which eked out just 505 horsepower from its 7.0-liter LS7.

Chevrolet’s most-powerful production car ever—available in both coupe and convertible body styles—also humbles the 640-hp Dodge Viper, as well as the Porsche 911 Turbo S, McLaren 650S, and Lamborghini Huracán. In fact, in the horsepower wars, the Z06 is topped only by stuff like the Lamborghini Aventador, Ferrari F12berlinetta, Porsche 918 Spyder, McLaren P1, and Ferrari LaFerrari. Clearly, Chevy isn’t impressed with the current 662-hp Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, because it isn’t mentioned anywhere in the press release’s rundown of power brokers.

Everything You Need to Know About the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Photos and Info: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Convertible
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Research: Full Pricing, Specs, Reviews, Photos, and More
Dive into the LT4 engine’s arsenal of power-enhancing tricks, you’ll find it benefits from Rotocast aluminum cylinder heads, titanium intake valves, forged connecting rods, a 10.0:1 compression ratio, direct fuel injection, forced aluminum pistons, and dry-sump lubrication. The supercharger spins faster than the unit fitted to the outgoing ZR1’s mill—20,000 rpm versus 15,000—and the rotors are smaller so they can whip up to speed more quickly. Horsepower peaks at 6400 rpm, while full torque comes online at 3600 rpm. A hefty 592 lb-ft is available over the wide plateau from 2500 to 5400 rpm.

Even with the Z06’s mild weight gain versus the previous car, we have a hunch that it’s going to be silly quick with either the standard seven-speed manual or optional eight-speed automatic. Even with a gate in its path.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at the above chart of super cars currently in production, and doing a little "Googling," some interesting comparisons arise.

1) The first three cars immediately above the Z06, have 142 less TQ even at their torque peak, and their peak torque curve is very, very high in the RPM range. In fact from 1550 RPM and up, the Z06 has more torque than all three at every RPM, by 2,600 RPM always having at least 100 more TQ.
2) To get to a car with more torque than the Z06, you have to spend $845,000 and up, with only three mainstream manufactured cars in the world currently in production having more torque than a Z06.

GM was right calling the Z06 a supercar!

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I still have a hard time comprehending what massive acceleration it will have at low RPM when TQ values are 500 at 1500 rpm and 600 at 2500 RPM. This engine doesn't need over revving to produce phenomenal acceleration.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Congratulations Texas2Gun! Your prediction came through. and now,officially confirmed by Media.GM.com.

2015 Corvette Z06 Rated at 650 Horsepower

With the following torque curve:

Aside from the phenomenal peak numbers achieved here, you've got to look at the "Shape" of those curves and how early those TQ numbers come in and remain throughout the RPM range. Please allow me to put it in other words. I recall going to great lengths and expense in an attempt to create curves like this on race engines I built for myself through experimenting with different connecting rod lengths or "Rod Ratio's." Most people don't realize "Horsepower" means very little until around 5300 RPM's where it intersects with the torque curve, carrying the power beyond the torque in the RPM range. In looking at the "Horsepower" curve on the above chart it almost appears they cut the dyno pull a little early before it really started to drop off. I'm impressed because it appears it may have even more than they're claiming. A bit more camshaft would only produce even higher numbers, but at the same time increase the RPM requirements to go even higher. And we all know RPM's kill and shorten the life of the engine, so this is truly an incredible achievement on the part of Chevrolet's Engineering Team.... From a seat of the pants behind the wheel of this true supercar, this is going to represent more than enough power for most, and more than ample for old retired drag racers like myself. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Aside from the phenomenal peak numbers achieved here, you've got to look at the "Shape" of those curves and how early those TQ numbers come in and remain throughout the RPM range. Please allow me to put it in other words. I recall going to great lengths and expense in an attempt to create curves like this on race engines I built for myself through experimenting with different connecting rod lengths or "Rod Ratio's." Most people don't realize "Horsepower" means very little until around 5300 RPM's where it intersects with the torque curve, carrying the power beyond the torque in the RPM range. In looking at the "Horsepower" curve on the above chart it almost appears they cut the dyno pull a little early before it really started to drop off. I'm impressed because it appears it may have even more than they're claiming. A bit more camshaft would only produce even higher numbers, but at the same time increase the RPM requirements to go even higher. And we all know RPM's kill and shorten the life of the engine, so this is truly an incredible achievement on the part of Chevrolet's Engineering Team.... From a seat of the pants behind the wheel of this true supercar, this is going to represent more than enough power for most, and more than ample for old retired drag racers like myself. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.
Thanks for the great insight from your building days "tmcternan". I don't have the building experience you and others on this site have acquired over the years, but am so excited about the potential of this car from just looking at the specs GM is now putting out. Hearing from you and "elegant", and your excitement level, knowing the experience you guys have, is just adding to my extreme anticipation in getting my hands on one (which may be the hard part).

Reactions: tmcternan

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Congratulations Texas2Gun! Your prediction came through. and now,officially confirmed by Media.GM.com.

2015 Corvette Z06 Rated at 650 Horsepower

With the following torque curve:

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Yelp, the torque is the key as Tom wrote above, and that torque curve is just downright impressive in so many ways (starting at low RPMs, peaking below 4,000, yet staying so stinkin' high for such a broad range and even on up in RPMs). That thing is gonna pull, pull, pull and shove you back in the seat anyway you are cruising along when you goose it a little. You will be able to drive down the highway at speed limit, punch it, and have it jump out from under you WITHOUT EVEN HAVING TO DROP IT A GEAR.

I can't get my head fully wrapped around that.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A short article on the Z06's power.

Autobytel said:
The Bowtie brand seems to have been lowballing the output estimates for its high-performance 2015 Chevy Corvette Z06: Although Chevrolet originally expected to squeeze about 625 horses and 635 lb.-ft. of torque from the car's supercharged 6.2-liter LT4 V8, the powerplant has been certified by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) to deliver 650 hp and a 650 lb.-ft. of torque.

Those benchmarks represent jumps of 120 hp and 180 lb.-ft. of torque over the previous-generation car and enable the 2015 Chevy Corvette Z06 to claim the title of most powerful production car ever sold by GM. Of course, what's more important is how the new Z06 stacks up against its supercar competition, and Chevy is happy to relate that it provides 28 percent more torque than a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta, with peak twisting power available 2,400 rpm lower in the power band. Now, it's true that the Ferrari offers more horsepower than the 2015 Chevy Corvette Z06, but the latter's closest rival, the Porsche 911 Turbo S, doesn't; it's down 90 hp and 134 lb.-ft. of torque compared to the Bowtie's best performer.

The party line from Steve Kiefer, vice president, GM Powertrain Engineering: “The LT4 small block sets a new benchmark for power and torque at GM. The engine also puts the new Corvette Z06 on par with the most powerful supercars offered in America, while delivering performance with impeccable manners that make it suitable for daily driving.”

With that engine mated to either a standard seven-speed manual transmission or an eight-speed, paddle-shifting automatic, the 2015 Chevy Corvette Z06 is slated to reach dealerships during the fourth quarter of this year.
http://www.autobytel.com/chevrolet/...-revealed-for-2015-chevy-corvette-z06-124506/

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GMAuthority's takes on 650/650!

gmauthority said:
When the 2015 Corvette Z06 originally broke cover at the 2014 North American International Auto Show six months ago, the power estimations were conservative. At the time, Chevrolet would *only* claim 625 horsepower and 625 foot-pounds of torque, with the subtle hint that there could be more after official SAE testing is done.

Guess what. SAE testing is done. And lordy, do we have ourselves a winner. Because officially, the 2015 Corvette Z06 is the most powerful production car GM has built, and will be one of the ten most powerful vehicles for sale in the United States of America for 2015.Officially, the power ratings rest at 650(!) horsepower of work rate @ 6,400 RPM and 650(!) foot-pounds of twisting force at 3,600 RPM, thanks to its incredibly power-dense 6.2L LT4 supercharged V8 engine. In fact, it’s more powerful than the SRT Viper, McLaren 650S and Lamborghini Huracan LP 610-4. The $295,000 Ferrari FF hardly beats it, at 651 hp.

Pretty sure what you’re hearing now is the Star Spangled Banner beautifully emanating from the dyno charts.

The new LT4 is the driving force of the 2015 Z06. This jet engine disguised as a supercharged V8 has 457 lb-ft (619 Nm) just off idle and 625 lb-ft (847 Nm) at only 2,800 rpm. The V-12-powered Ferrari Berlinetta, for example, produces about 28 percent less torque than the Z06, despite offering about 12 percent more horsepower – and its peak torque isn’t achieved until 6,000 rpm. The LT4 maintains 90 percent of its peak torque, or 592 lb-ft (802 Nm), from 2,500 to 5,400 rpm. Such is the nature of forced induction.

Compared to its LS-engine predecessors, the 2015 Z06 produces 40 percent more peak torque (180 lb-ft / 244 Nm) than the previous-generation’s 7.0L LS7 engine – and 7.5 percent more than the supercharged 2013 Corvette ZR1’s 604 lb-ft (819 Nm). At 3,200 rpm, the new LT4 surpasses the LS7 by 208 lb-ft of torque (252 Nm). On the horsepower side of the graph, the LT4’s 650-hp rating is 29 percent greater than the LS7’s 505 horsepower (376 kW), and 12 horses more than the ZR1’s LS9 engine. That’s evolution. And don’t forget, it’s the only vehicle that will be on sale with over 650 hp/lb-ft which will channel its power through either a seven-speed manual or eight-speed automatic transmission.

Now, about that 0-60 time…
Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/06/2015-corvette-z06-650-horsepower-650-pound-feet-of-torque/#ixzz33vMEg3K1}

1 - 20 of 22 Posts