Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Z06
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 2016 Z06 and find the boost gauge not operating per the owner's manual. Specifically, after the normal start-up sequence, my boost gauge settles in at -10psi, essentially showing vacuum, when the manual seems to indicate it should show at 0 psi, which would make sense. As I accelerate the gauge moves upwards and if I keep my foot on the pedal, it will work itself to 0 psi, which would equate, I guess to about 10 psi boost. But it never gets over 0! Is this correct? Can't be it seems to me. I have had the charger checked and supposedly it is working fine and the car drives fine as well. Is this just a boost gauge issue? No other issue with the instruments at this point. Any suggestions or experiences are appreciated. Just one of those things that will bug you!

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
You really have to put your foot down with the engine loaded (driving) to get enough boost to get significant positive PSI. I don't have my idle PSI number handy, but it's definitely suction, not boost, not zero. The normal operation is suction, not boost, because of the PCV system.

It sounds to me like your operation is normal.

Where did you read that normal operation should be 0 PSI? What manual were you reading? That definitely sounds wrong to me. Can you post a screen shot of that manual here?

·
Registered
2016 Z06
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really have to put your foot down with the engine loaded (driving) to get enough boost to get significant positive PSI. I don't have my idle PSI number handy, but it's definitely suction, not boost, not zero. The normal operation is suction, not boost, because of the PCV system.

It sounds to me like your operation is normal.

Where did you read that normal operation should be 0 PSI? What manual were you reading? That definitely sounds wrong to me. Can you post a screen shot of that manual here?
Well, here is the page from my 2016 Owner's Manual on the boost gauge. It is not completely descriptive, but seems to me to say the gauge should settle at 0 after start. Also attached is a picture of my gauge at fast idle, showing the needle sitting at -10. Is this what your gauge looks like?
Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part Trip computer Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
Mine usually reads at - ~15 at idle and has to be under pretty well under acceleration to get to 0.

If I'm accelerating at that level, I'm not sure what the gauges are actually saying because I'm driving, not looking at the dash.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
Where yours is idling is very close to where mine idles as well.

I think I see where the confusion is from the owner's manual.

There is a difference in the gauge being zeroed out at the instant that you start the car, versus the gauge staying at zero during idle thereafer.

Here is what I think you should do.

Start the electronics on the car without starting the engine. That is, do NOT put your foot on the brake pedal, and hold the start button for 5-10 seconds (ever how long it takes) until the car turns on in ACCESSORIES mode.

I bet your boost gauge will be pretty close to zero then.

The other thing in the manual about "Changes in ambient pressure..." means that if you start the car at one altitude, but significantly change altitude in your drive, you can't expect the gauge to be completely accurate until after you stop the engine and restart.

I think what you see it totally normal.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,081 Posts
The first sentence from the section of the owners manual you posted answers the question:

The gauge indicates vacuum under light to moderate throttle and boost under heavier throttle.

·
Registered
2016 Z06
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input here guys! I agree it seems mine is operating normally. Just seems odd to me to have a "boost gauge" that almost never shows actual boost! All other gauges on operating systems typically sit in mid-range under normal conditions. Having this gauge operate like this creates confusion. But if it's working correctly, so be it! Saved me a wasted trip to the dealer, so thanks again!

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
Thanks for the input here guys! I agree it seems mine is operating normally. Just seems odd to me to have a "boost gauge" that almost never shows actual boost! All other gauges on operating systems typically sit in mid-range under normal conditions. Having this gauge operate like this creates confusion. But if it's working correctly, so be it! Saved me a wasted trip to the dealer, so thanks again!
The gauge almost never shows boost because the engine is almost never under boost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts