Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, not officially being called that, yet seventeen (17) Z06's went down the line today. It was like Christmas day!!!

This Z06 is at the national Corvette Museum right now; another one is to be revealed tomorrow.​

My "volunteer assignment" (died, and went to heaven; lucky me) during the National Corvette Museum's 20th Anniversary Celebration is as a Tour Guide Assistant at the Assembly Plant, and therefore took many tours today. Personally saw several black Z06's, couple of Crystal Red Metallic ones, four yellow ones, and two white ones.

One last highly subjective learning was that the Z06, just like the StingRay, looks KILLER in every color!

Learned a few other things, some corroboration of previous reportings, some new news. Confirmed that LT4's will start to be made here in several months, in time for the expected December start of Z06 customer cars. All engines for certain optioned Z06's is will be made at BGAP, but what that option(s) has not been approved to be publicly shared yet, though there is a consistent rumor that BGAP will be the sole assembly site for LT4 assembly for all Z07 cars. Could not get confirmation, nor denial of that rumor.

Another rumor that was close to being substantiated today was that, due to the porosity of the Corvette's sheet molded compound body panels, that the plant is now double priming the panels before the body colored paint is applied. The only confirmation I could get, is at the Plant is at least experimenting with the double priming process for the body panels. Whether double priming started on all 2015's or not, is not yet public knowledge, nor whether that or other means are being employed to improved paint for the 2015's.

The most surprising thing that I learned today, is that I saw the new Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic on front fascias, and as verified by several other folks who are not color defective as I am, it is actually a darker color than Torch Red -- ar least in the lighting in that part of the plan where the front facia racks were located. Several folks on different tours spontaneously used the same word we have heard before in describing that color, e.g. rust!

Twenty-eight of the twenty-nine regional 2014 National Corvette Caravans have arrived at NCM already, and the Museum is buzzing with "Corvette Fever." Tomorrow some of the many technical seminars, "Corvette walkarounds," and literally over 100 other activities start. Over 500 folks already took their tour of the BGAP, with the probably another 1500 scheduled for their Plant tours tomorrow and Friday.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
I can't wait to see the Crystal Red Z06! I hope at least one of them have the Pearl Nickel rims with red calipers! Ooh la-la!

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
How frickin exciting John!!! And to boot you served as a Tour Guide Assistant at the Assembly Plant. That put a smile on my face. So cool. Thanks for the updates.:cool:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yes!!!! It is VERY COOL that you have the chance to do what you are doing and to let us poor folk back here know what is going on! Since you are the go-to guy for ANY Corvette information, it is only fitting that you be so involved in the nitty gritty details of new production. I bet they count all their Z cars when you leave just in case.....

Reactions: Tom0021 and jsvette

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
John,

You may want to check on the December start date. The rep who gave a presentation at Carlisle said Z06 production starting in October though slowly at first.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Thank you so much John for the update. I was beginning to think you might have gotten lost somewhere.... I know your going to be busy with the plant tours, but if you can ask someone from the forum you might see there to video as many of the seminars as possible, I'm sure everyone will appreciate it. I for one, have watched every single one of them several time from the April Bash. Again, thank you for sharing. Your our eyes and ears bud.

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I will ask about whether they are doing videotaping. The two rooms where they usually do that hold from 200 to 400 individuals and with 8000+ folks here already, and more coming the next few days, the primary place they are planning in holding seminars and related is outside -- and do not know if they can/will be videotaping the sessions. As inquiring minds all want to know, will definitely ask. Hope so!!!

UPDATE: One of this morning's presentations will be in the room that holds about 400, where NCM has previously videotaped sessions, so hopefully.

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found out another positive bit of Z06 news yesterday, that they are easily able to run coupe Z06's back-to-back down the assembly line. At one point, there were four VY's have a mini-parade, nose-to-tail, down the line.

And yes, heard unofficially, that initial customer cars might be SLOWLY starting in late October.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Wow! Wow! Wow!

All fun interesting news. Thanks to all who are taking the time to share.

On a slightly unrelated topic, aren't dealers supposed to get their Z06 allocation numbers today?

I feel like a kid at Christmas!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
John as always a great post. However all this darn Z06 is starting to get to me! Might have to get
My own Z06 in a year or two and let the wife be the exclusive StingRay driver!

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Video taping equipment is set up, though it is usually five to seven days after the seminar that it hits the web (YouTube). First session is on the design parameters of the C7 Corvettes.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
John, thanks for the report. Always interesting!

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Found out another positive bit of Z06 news yesterday, that they are easily able to run coupe Z06's back-to-back down the assembly line. At one point, there were four VY's have a mini-parade, nose-to-tail, down the line.

And yes, heard unofficially, that initial customer cars might be SLOWLY starting in late October.
Yes! I am not surprised AT ALL.

My original thoughts on this is that the whole Z06 was planned at the same time as the StingRay, including assembly.

The ability to run them back-to-back for coupe Z06 like coupe StingRays follows logically.

I continue to maintain that GM can build as many of these as they can get parts for. I believe many more Z06 can be built, if GM chooses, than people are anticipating.

The question remains for me of how many LT4 they can build. I continue to think that will be the key to just how many Z06 we will see.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Oh, I should also add that the reason I am not surprised is that I am thoroughly convinced that GM is a forward-looking company with the foresight to include their detailed production capability plans from the beginning of the design, and I believe they have world-class engineers which are capable of pulling it off!

I am not saying it was easy; I am saying they are really good at their jobs, and I believe in their abilities.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts