Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we know dealers/customers will learn key Z06 constraint information tomorrow, and many will actually be able to place orders capable of going to GM's "acceptance status 2000." Tomorrow's constraint info will compliment Monday's key release of how any Z06's were allocated to each dealer during the first three-week long cycle (with both a Sept. 18th and Oct. 2 DSOP).

Some of tomorrow's constraints will affect only Z06 orders, e.g. CRV and Z07; other constraints will also affect StingRay orderers, e.g. FAY and CFZ.

Will be interesting for all Z06 hopefuls to learn tomorrow exactly what the constraints are, and also if their order is up for "acceptance consideration." All whose orders are up for forward movement to status 2000, have been considering which options they might be willing to compromise on, and, conversely, which one(s) are deal breakers. One customer might decide that if their is a constraint on both aero packages, "I will not compromise, will wait until my order is past that constraint." Conversely, heard from one person who told me they had recently called their dealer, changing their Z06 order from the 8-speed auto to a 7-speed manual. That person is in a very, very small minority. Overwhelmingly, however, the amount and percentage of Z06 customers who have "chosen to opt out of the first three week ordering cycle" because they will not compromise on the 8-speed automatic transmission is amazingly large.

For those who see the Z06 constraint list tomorrow and debate whether they will wait for the constraint(s) to be lifted later, one consideration might be whether which options they can relatively/easily add later (parts counter or aftermarket) versus which ones are either cost prohibitive or near-impossible to add after your Z06 has arrived.

Might there be lots of good news tomorrow? Might GM have stockpiled certain Z06 parts to allow many allocated orders to be free of constraints (other than convertibles and automatics of course)? Might GM open the order banks wide open for the first batch of Z06's, and from the total 1st DSOP orders, learn more about what Z06's individual option "take rate" might be?

Interestingly and not surprisingly, whereas the percentage of indicated Z06 orders on the forum is approximately 50% manuals/50% automatics, when all individuals are actually ordering their Z06's at the dealerships, the percentage of automatics is way, way higher, reflecting, what we always have known, that forum members interests are often different from the general market!

I know my list option items that I will compromise on, has grown quite a bit over the last few weeks.

What options are you willing to compromise on? Which ones will you not?

·
Registered
306 Posts
From what I have been informed by various sources, there indeed has been a large amount of prospective customers especially those on waiting lists that must have the 8-spd automatic. This is the exact reason on why I was bumped to the #1 spot at a dealership because I was the only prospect that opted for the 7-spd manual on the Z06. In regards to the %, I was surprised it was that large of a disparity but even the dealer stated that many C7 buyers aren't consistent religious forum members anyway.

I'm still sticking with the coupe & manual if I do pull the trigger tomorrow and I want the body-colored standard roof so I won't compromise on that. My never ending conundrum is ext/int colors...

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have the CFV splitters and CFV roof. I would be willing to go to CFZ and body-colored roof.....IF it would mean 2+ months improvement on delivery.
Also have the A8 and that is NOT a compromise.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
John,

I don't recall but are you an M7 or and A8 order and is that something YOU would compromise to get in the first batch?

·
Registered
817 Posts
I communicated to my dealer "automatic/coupe" are a must have.

It is interesting that the automatic is so popular...the naysayers were predicting everything short of the complete demise of the Z if offered with an automatic. Much less a removable top or drop top! Oh boy, what is going to happen if the automatic doesn't overheat after the first 2 laps on the track?! I mean everybody knows a sissy slush box can't possibly run with a manly manual or a dapper dual clutch. Right? ;)

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lucky me, i.e., "no need to compromise." I am the last person on the planet who will ever drive an automatic. Have had 41 vehicles in my life, and only one was a partial-automatic, a Citroen DS-21 Pallas with the automatic electric clutch Just love the driving dance, synchronizing the pedals and the gearshift, etc.. Live in the country, no commuting etc. For years, as everyone knows, autos were slower and used more gas. No more, in fact, the greater comparative Z06 1/4 mile speed for the auto versus the 7-speed will be significant, not just one "tick." Doesn't matter to me, for even the "slow" (tongue in cheek) 7-speed will be overwhelmingly powerful!

My order has always been for a stick, and was always #2 on the Z06 priority list, since I have had my deposit in for 15 1/2 months now. Believe, but yet haven't confirmed, that the only one ahead of me wants an auto, but with the amount of first cycle allocations, will not matter, unless I choose to not compromise on my options, and already told by MacMulkin they will move my order forward to 2000 this first consensus unless I say "no; stop" due to constraints. My compromise list, if needed due to constraints, has now grown to include both aero packages and FAY (way more than I even debated a month ago), as these can be added later.

We shall see tomorrow morning. Hopefully the constraint list, other than known autos and convertibles, is comparatively small.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
John,

I don't recall but are you an M7 or and A8 order and is that something YOU would compromise to get in the first batch?
Annie will not let him order an automatic, EVER, in a Corvette. :)

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
One other thing for people to note tomorrow is for the StingRay crew to not freak out if they see the code for the A8 completely constrained at 0%. There should be information in the column before that which may say something like 1YZ*7, which means that line will only apply to the Z06.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I am soooooo happy for you John. You clearly had the foresight and confidence to place your order 15 1/2 months ago, long before the much anticipated Z06 was even unveiled. You definitely deserve one of the very first. And thank you for sharing so much information you have discovered along the way in helping the rest of us make informed decisions on what exactly we want as well.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Lucky me, i.e., "no need to compromise." I am the last person on the planet who will ever drive an automatic.
I thought so but honestly couldn't remember. ;)

·
Registered
922 Posts
No offense 7-spdrs, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, stroke, accidental loss of arm or leg, heart attack or just old age might tell you what you will or won't shift. Just saying.

·
Registered
873 Posts
John, I just have one addition to your original post. It appears that, based on what is published, Z06 production will be about 20% of total production. At the published desired rate of 180 total cars per day, somewhere in the neighborhood of 360 Z06s will be scheduled for each two week consensus. As this is not even enough to give one car to every Stingray dealer, even without allowing how many the mega-dealers will get, prospective owners who are #1 at their dealer, might not see an allocation for several cycles, irrespective of constraints. Just my $0.02 worth, but I don't want folks to needlessly get their hopes up, only to be disappointed.

I'm the #1 A8 on my dealers list, but it's a short list, and I don't expect to see it before Jan or Feb. at the earliest.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
817 Posts
No offense 7-spdrs, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, stroke, accidental loss of arm or leg, heart attack or just old age might tell you what you will or won't shift. Just saying.
How true. My wife and I fall into several of the medical issues you list. An auto is a "must have" for us. (Well, an absolutely must maybe not, but a really, really smart idea "must" never-the-less.) 2/3's of the Corvettes we have owned were manuals. We'll miss them...sometimes!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am struggling big time with auto vs. stick decision. If I was ordering a Z-51 would for sure order the stick. But now that I have held out for the Z06, the 8-speed auto seems very enticing! Loads of power and it's going to be faster. I have driven stingrays with the stick and the old slush box. Have to admit the slush box was almost as fun and with the new tranny it might top the stick.

Everyday I waffle on this one! Driving me nuts!!!! Any suggestions? It will not be a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I am struggling big time with auto vs. stick decision. If I was ordering a Z-51 would for sure order the stick. But now that I have held out for the Z06, the 8-speed auto seems very enticing! Loads of power and it's going to be faster. I have driven stingrays with the stick and the old slush box. Have to admit the slush box was almost as fun and with the new tranny it might top the stick.

Everyday I waffle on this one! Driving me nuts!!!! Any suggestions? It will not be a daily driver.
The connection between man and machine is so much stronger with a stick. The few tenths you'll gain with the automatic are irrelevant, unless you plan on drag racing on a regular basis or need bar bragging rights. And, yours won't be a daily driver, so no worries about operating a clutch in rush hour traffic. I'd say it's an easy decision.

Of course, if you've been driving a stick for a while and just want a change...the new auto sounds like it will be pretty nice.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A consideration is type of driving conditions. Here in Chicago as with most large metropolitan areas there is a lot of stop and go traffic so for me riding a clutch through congested streets is abuse on the left leg. Automatics makes life a lot easier.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I officially switched to 7M today! I'm sure I will change my mind before midnight - laughing at myself. Two reasons for the change:

1. It will not be a daily driver
2. Heard from dealer that constraints on A8 in Z06 could be anywhere between 1-20 months!!

I have been waiting for a over a year at this point and my patience is running out. Want one tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nice! While the new A8 is tempting, you won't be disappointed with the 7-spd manual. It's so easy to use even for a DD... had it on my coupe since Oct last year and again on my convertible since June this year. Still very satisfied... will also have it on the Z. :D

·
Registered
522 Posts
Stupidist thing I have heard yet especially since they are coming off the line now.

I can promise one thing though. You definitely wont be getting a 2015 Z06 Auto 20 months from now.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts