Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the middle 2 exhaust pipes "work" or just for show? I am constantly shining the 2 outside ones, and they are hot when engine running but nada for center 2.

I can NOT believe they are just for show. maybe used @ certain RPM, speed, etc. ???

·
Registered
868 Posts
Used primarily when your driving in performance mode or track. Closed when in tour or, (dare i say) economy mode.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used primarily when your driving in performance mode or track. Closed when in tour or, (dare i say) economy mode.

Thanks - yeah "economy mode" is like a chocolate cake at Weight Watchers meeting!

I drive almost exclusively in SPORT mode and in one sense glad the center ones don't turn black (wish outside wouldn't) but just seems odd....

·
Registered
10,212 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Actually, the description above is not what is really going on.

The valves are on the outside two.

The inside two are always open, but with higher air flow resistance at all times.

A good description is in the following post. Actually, reading the whole thread could be beneficial.

https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/general-discussion/30017-exhaust-tips.html#post364913
I Agree. In essence when the butterflies on the outer pipes open you're essentially bypassing the muffler. The center pipes always flow through the muffler, baffles and whatever is inside!

I have my NPP set for "Always Track" regardless of drive mode. The butterflies open at ~ 1700 rpm. In Touring Mode, from my observation, it's about 2500 rpm and in Sport about mid way between.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Great read - and better yet I saw the link to the thread about "what are you guys using to clean" them. SO much information I am grateful for this forum !
By now, there is probably a thread for almost every question you could have. Great to have you with us.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Actually that's backwards. The outer pipes are used when the exhaust valves are open. When they're closed (as in Stealth mode), all gasses flow through the inner two pipes only.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Sorry. I had it backwards . But i think you got the idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 2017 base C7 and would get black deposits all the time. Now have a 2018 Grand Sport and have put over 500 miles on it with no discoloration at all. Wonder if the fuel tuning changed.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I had a 2017 base C7 and would get black deposits all the time. Now have a 2018 Grand Sport and have put over 500 miles on it with no discoloration at all. Wonder if the fuel tuning changed.
Hmm, my Grand Sport is the same as my September 2013 built Z51! Outer Pipes black in a few drives. Easy to clean with a rag I have on a shelf built between garage doors than also holds waterless cleaner I use for the rear in general! Need a different rag, the NPP gets very dirty!
Clean Rear.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks - yeah "economy mode" is like a chocolate cake at Weight Watchers meeting!

I drive almost exclusively in SPORT mode and in one sense glad the center ones don't turn black (wish outside wouldn't) but just seems odd....

Economy mode is AWESOME when you have the cruise control on for hours at a time on the freeway. 36 miles per gallon, why not?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I bought BOTH products mentioned on the other thread and they are both really good!

1. Eagle One - NEVER DULL - the wadding polish works very good. You pull some of the chemical infused "wadding" (cotton like material) and wipe away. When done a cloth will shine it nicely. Gets off the residue and has it looking very good - drastic improvement!

2. Borla - Exhaust cleaner & polish - applied with fine bronze wool and rub in and then polish with a clean cloth - shines like a mirror!

I actually like using them in this order. The improvement from dealer (supposedly "detailed") to now is night and day.

exhaust1.jpg
(before)

pipes.jpg
(after)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts